Trying to Detect Coby Kyros MID 7042-8 on PC

john40131

Dec 13, 2012
Hi I am new to the site and hope someone can assist has I am new to tablets, I have this Coby 7" Tablet and want to connect to my PC so I can install app that I have downloaded (apk files).
The problem is when I connect the USB and tell the tablet to connect that's fine and Drives show in PC Device Manager but there is an Android icon on the Device Manager list on PC, which has an asterisk against it and I remember when I first plugged the tablet in to my PC for the first time there was one driver that didn't install, so when I try and use Android Commander or Android Injector the device is not detected, can anyone help me resolve the problem.

Regards
and Many thanks

John

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi John, congratulations on your new Coby 7042 and welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Coby Generation 3 Technical forum for you, where more people with that tablet are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck, and enjoy the forum!

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
If your pc is displaying the coby drives, the simple way would be to copy the apk file from the pc to the sdcard on the tablet and install it from the tablet. When you connect the tablet to the PC, does the usb mass storage screen appear on the tablet when you plug it in ?

For more info on windows drivers, see the sticky posts at the top of the coby technical forum.

john40131

Dec 13, 2012
Thanks for reply I will try sdcard, just got to get one though, I though from looking at some yutube posting you had to install via a PC similar to an iphone using ifunbox etc.
But using such as Android Commander or Android Injector for Android devices.

The listing that appear in Device Manager when I plug the Tablet into my PC are, under Disk Drives I get 2 listings Coby 7042 USB Device, and the listing under Other Devices " Android" but it has a yellow triangle with Asterisk showing drivers are not installed.

Thanks for help

John

john40131

Dec 13, 2012
If your pc is displaying the coby drives, the simple way would be to copy the apk file from the pc to the sdcard on the tablet and install it from the tablet. When you connect the tablet to the PC, does the usb mass storage screen appear on the tablet when you plug it in ?

For more info on windows drivers, see the sticky posts at the top of the coby technical forum.

Well I just install the Windows Drivers and the Android asterisk has gone and got at top of list under heading Android Phone " Android ADB Interface" so I am getting somwhere

John

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Well I just install the Windows Drivers and the Android asterisk has gone and got at top of list under heading Android Phone " Android ADB Interface" so I am getting somwhere

John

Thats good. The ADB interface is the best way to access your tablet from the pc. None of the android commander type programs work very well.

This thread is the most important thread for the 7042:

Linux users, Coby 7042, root, recovery, update all without livesuite,

ADB is run from a terminal (command prompt in windows). The thread shows how it is used. Dont worry about not having linux. you can do every step from the windows command prompt. All you need is adb.exe and its library files.

You do not need an external sdcard to copy and load an apk from the pc. Find the folder called download and copy the file there. Once its on the tablet use the file explorer and double click on the apk file. nothing special required.

Last edited: