Turn android tab into desktop

Echodude

Mar 3, 2014
My hard drive on my desktop took a massive dump. Are there any android tablets out there that I can place into a desktop dock and use on my 37" monitor? It will be used as a consumption device, i.e. Web, mail, social networking and lite office stuff. No hardcore gaming or things like that. I would also need to add peripherals such as USB hub, hdmi hub and speakers. I'm really interested in this option since I can undock it and go. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You might want to look at one of the Windows (NOT RT) tablets rather than Android. It would save you some trouble since you could use the software you already have instead of downloading apps and trying to learn them. Not only that, the driver support is arguably better.

Oct 10, 2011
Take a look at the Dell Venue 8 Pro. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and am very impressed. The quad core Intel Atom Bay Trail processor turbos up to 1.8 Ghz. Comes with Win 8.1 and Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student. This is not your father's Atom processor as apps and programs run smooth and snappy. Card slot is the newer micro SDXC which currently maxes out at 64 Gig. Any USB hardware can be used as long as there are Win 8 drivers available but high current draw devices will need external power. It is really cool to have a tablet that can load and run Windows programs. Microcenter is selling the 32 gig storage version for $200 and the 64 gig for $250. I picked up the 64 gig model thinking OS overhead would take up too much storage but some people with the 32 have turned off hibernation and deleted the large hiberfile as well as moving the recovery partition to SD to free up more storage space.