[Tutorial] CMP741D Jellybean Install

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
**The written instructions are in a more consider order and easier to follow, I will be adding
annotations on video in the things I changed.**

What you need:
1. Craig CMP741D
2. Windows Computer
2. USB Cable
3. MicroSD Card

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK / RUIN YOUR TABLET IN ANY WAY.
Before I get started I recommend you make a NANDROID of your CMP741D (with the Original firmware).
To do this you can follow my CWM install -
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...l-craig-cmp741d-cwm-install-instructions.html
Once your in CWM you can do a Nandroid Backup

This would not be possible without Oma7144 and his JB! Thank you!

Let's get started.

First lets get started by downloading a bunch of files:
1. You need to download OMA7144's RK2918 Jellybean, it can be found on his thread on XDA: RK2918 Tab Odys-Loox rocks with Jelly Bean ! - xda-developers
At the time of this tutorial, you need to download download v1.2.2a.
2. Download Oma JB v1.1 Format NAND.zip which can also be found on the above thread on XDA.
3. Download CWM-TOUCH from OMA7144 (As the cmp741D does not have Volume buttons) - xda-developers - View Single Post - RK2918 Tab Odys-Loox rocks with Jelly Bean !
3. Download the CMP741D Kernel which I dumped from my 741D - Dev-Host - kernel.img - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
4. Download Mastermind278's CMP741D Model Fix - Dev-Host - ModelFix-CMP741Dv120.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service (This one is at 120 dpi) OR Dev-Host - ModelFix-CMP741D_signed.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service (At 160 dpi) **Pick which one you want to use**
5. OPTIONAL - Normal Mount ZIP - It mounds the intSD and NAND. http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/?wpfb_dl=327
I did not install this on the Video but I prefer it installed so I installed after.

Now that we have all these files we need to do some moving around:
1. Extract the OMA7144's RK2918 Jellybean (Oma_Odys_Loox_JB_4.1.1_v1.2.2a.7z) onto your DESKTOP.
2. Navigate to the rockdev folder, then click on Image folder and you should see all the image files. At this point rename Kernel.img to Kernel_ORIG.img and Recovery.img to Recovery_Orig.img.
3. Open CWM-TOUCH (Oma_RK29_CWM_touch.7z) and extract the recovery.img in the archive to the Rockdev/image folder (where you just renamed the other files).
4. Copy Mastermind278's Kernel.img also into this folder.
5. Plugin the microSD to the computer.
6. Copy - Oma_JB_v1.1_Format_NAND.zip, ModelFix-CMP741Dv120.zip or ModelFix-CMP741D_signed.zip (PICK ONE), and Oma_intSD_to_NAND_OTG_fix.zip (Optional).
7. Eject microSD, plugin into CMP741D.

At this point you need to turn OFF your TABLET.
1. Navigate to RKAndroid_v1.29 folder and right click RKAndroidTool.exe choose Run as Administrator.
2. Now Press the ESC button (right most button) on the tablet (while it's turned off) and plugin the USB cable. The screen will remain black on the tablet. Let go of the button when RKAndroidTool says found RKAndroid Loader **You might have to install the drivers for your tablet at this point. Open device manager and under other devices you will see Unknown Device, point to the USB Driver folder on the OMA7144 Extracted folder.
3. Put a check mark on LOADER and press EraseIDB. Wait for the prompt and press OK.
4. Uncheck Loader and press RUN. This will take a while so be prepared to wait.
5. Once done, the tablet should boot to CWM.

Now you should have the microSD already in the CMP741D.
1. Scroll to Install zip from SD (Using the down pentagon)
2. Choose Install zip from SDCard
3. Pick Oma_JB_v1.1_Format_NAND.zip, scroll to YES and enter.
4. Now repeat going to Install Zip from SD, Choose zip from SD
3. Install ModelFix-CMP741Dv120.zip or ModelFix-CMP741D_signed.zip (PICK ONE)
4. Install Oma_intSD_to_NAND_OTG_fix.zip (Optional).
5. Choose Reboot System.
System will now take 5-10 minutes to boot up. After booting up I also recommend waiting another 5-10 minutes to let everything settle.

At this point Jellybean should be working nicely on the tablet!

Enjoy!
---------
Bugs: ?? I think the battery indicator is off... but I haven't allowed enough time to verify this.
---> As per Oma7144 it was recommended to install Akkufix2 found here: http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/?wpfb_dl=317

-----
$Screenshot_2013-01-21-19-18-33[1].png$Screenshot_2013-01-21-19-18-53[1].png$Screenshot_2013-01-21-19-19-20[1].png$Screenshot_2013-01-21-23-00-24.png

Last edited by a moderator:

wfg97079

Jan 14, 2013
Any chance on something similar on a CMP741E?
**The written instructions are in a more consider order and easier to follow, I will be adding
annotations on video in the things I changed.**

What you need:
1. Craig CMP741D
2. Windows Computer
2. USB Cable
3. MicroSD Card

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK / RUIN YOUR TABLET IN ANY WAY.
Before I get started I recommend you make a NANDROID of your CMP741D (with the Original firmware).
To do this you can follow my CWM install -
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...l-craig-cmp741d-cwm-install-instructions.html
Once your in CWM you can do a Nandroid Backup

This would not be possible without Oma7144 and his JB! Thank you!

Let's get started.

First lets get started by downloading a bunch of files:
1. You need to download OMA7144's RK2918 Jellybean, it can be found on his thread on XDA: RK2918 Tab Odys-Loox rocks with Jelly Bean ! - xda-developers
At the time of this tutorial, you need to download download v1.2.2a.
2. Download Oma JB v1.1 Format NAND.zip which can also be found on the above thread on XDA.
3. Download CWM-TOUCH from OMA7144 (As the cmp741D does not have Volume buttons) - xda-developers - View Single Post - RK2918 Tab Odys-Loox rocks with Jelly Bean !
3. Download the CMP741D Kernel which I dumped from my 741D - Dev-Host - kernel.img - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
4. Download Mastermind278's CMP741D Model Fix - Dev-Host - ModelFix-CMP741Dv120.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service (This one is at 120 dpi) OR Dev-Host - ModelFix-CMP741D_signed.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service (At 160 dpi) **Pick which one you want to use**
5. OPTIONAL - Normal Mount ZIP - It mounds the intSD and NAND. http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/?wpfb_dl=327
I did not install this on the Video but I prefer it installed so I installed after.

Now that we have all these files we need to do some moving around:
1. Extract the OMA7144's RK2918 Jellybean (Oma_Odys_Loox_JB_4.1.1_v1.2.2a.7z) onto your DESKTOP.
2. Navigate to the rockdev folder, then click on Image folder and you should see all the image files. At this point rename Kernel.img to Kernel_ORIG.img and Recovery.img to Recovery_Orig.img.
3. Open CWM-TOUCH (Oma_RK29_CWM_touch.7z) and extract the recovery.img in the archive to the Rockdev/image folder (where you just renamed the other files).
4. Copy Mastermind278's Kernel.img also into this folder.
5. Plugin the microSD to the computer.
6. Copy - Oma_JB_v1.1_Format_NAND.zip, ModelFix-CMP741Dv120.zip or ModelFix-CMP741D_signed.zip (PICK ONE), and Oma_intSD_to_NAND_OTG_fix.zip (Optional).
7. Eject microSD, plugin into CMP741D.

At this point you need to turn OFF your TABLET.
1. Navigate to RKAndroid_v1.29 folder and right click RKAndroidTool.exe choose Run as Administrator.
2. Now Press the ESC button (right most button) on the tablet (while it's turned off) and plugin the USB cable. The screen will remain black on the tablet. Let go of the button when RKAndroidTool says found RKAndroid Loader **You might have to install the drivers for your tablet at this point. Open device manager and under other devices you will see Unknown Device, point to the USB Driver folder on the OMA7144 Extracted folder.
3. Put a check mark on LOADER and press EraseIDB. Wait for the prompt and press OK.
4. Uncheck Loader and press RUN. This will take a while so be prepared to wait.
5. Once done, the tablet should boot to CWM.

Now you should have the microSD already in the CMP741D.
1. Scroll to Install zip from SD (Using the down pentagon)
2. Choose Install zip from SDCard
3. Pick Oma_JB_v1.1_Format_NAND.zip, scroll to YES and enter.
4. Now repeat going to Install Zip from SD, Choose zip from SD
3. Install ModelFix-CMP741Dv120.zip or ModelFix-CMP741D_signed.zip (PICK ONE)
4. Install Oma_intSD_to_NAND_OTG_fix.zip (Optional).
5. Choose Reboot System.
System will now take 5-10 minutes to boot up. After booting up I also recommend waiting another 5-10 minutes to let everything settle.

At this point Jellybean should be working nicely on the tablet!

Enjoy!
---------
Bugs: ?? I think the battery indicator is off... but I haven't allowed enough time to verify this.
---> As per Oma7144 it was recommended to install Akkufix2 found here: http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/?wpfb_dl=317

-----
View attachment 9822View attachment 9823View attachment 9824View attachment 9829

Last edited by a moderator:

craigtabuser

Dec 24, 2012
big thanks to you mastermind and oma! Anyone else involved. This is above and beyond. Finally get netflix on my cmp741d.

Any upcoming fix for VPN (tun.ko) or USB keyboard? I plugged in a usb keyboard to the mini port no luck. Currently making an adapter to try on the Full Size USB cause I think that's the host port. Will post if successfull

Thanks again!

mhunt13

Nov 15, 2012
Thank you mastermind! An awesome tutorial for Jellybean!

I also have the CMP741d tablet, by reading a lot I have rooted it and have Gapps installed. Very happy with the way it works right now.

Would like to update to Jellybean someday, though hesitant to do that without a full backup and a way to revert to it. So I'd like to get the touch CWM working on it so I can do a backup. I followed your link in 1st post to the CWM touch download, which is only the recovery.img file.

I do not know how to get this recovery.img installed on my tablet. Can you share an easy way to do that?? I'd really appreciate any help.

bolton

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks Mastermind! I installed the rom last night and most things are working correctly (including Netflix!). Multitouch appears not to be working (pinch to zoom) and the volume control is missing from the taskbar (I'm using button savior for a shortcut). Thanks again! ;)

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
Multitouch does work on my tablet. I tried it on both Chrome and with Multitouch Tester (shows 5 points).

$IMG_20130122_155707.jpg

As for the volume control yes it was eliminated. I was actually contemplating making a fix that reprograms the MENU and ESC button to Volume UP and Volume Down (easily done change the keychar).

bolton

Jan 22, 2013
I figured out my problem. I was using an older version of dolphin browser (flash compatible) that apparently doesn't like multitouch input on my tablet. I updated dolphin and everything (except for flash) is working fine. Thank you so much for putting this together.

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
Glad that fixed the issue. You should be able to use Flash via the AOSP browswer too.

As for TUN and Overclock, unfortunately without the source code for the kernel, one cannot rebuild the kernel completely to add those 2 modules.

drewsands

Jan 25, 2013
Everything is working Netflix, Crackle etc. Angry Birds does not work tryed 4 different versions from amazon app store play store and the other. Thanks in advanced. Update: Uninstalled and reinstalled changed dpi from 120 to 160. 160 works better on a side note but not for angry birds.

Last edited:

DerpyTails

Aug 31, 2012
ROM Works Great and it fixed my signing-in issue with the My Little Pony Gameloft Game :D

EDIT: 1. Thanks for also helping me with installing a working CWM for the tablet and 2. The one thing that bothers me is that the icons for the Notification Clear (The X for when you check on what's in your Notifications) and the Volume Up and Down Icons are not showing up, any way on how to fix this?

Last edited:

mastermind278

Jan 13, 2013
ROM Works Great and it fixed my signing-in issue with the My Little Pony Gameloft Game :D

EDIT: 1. Thanks for also helping me with installing a working CWM for the tablet and 2. The one thing that bothers me is that the icons for the Notification Clear (The X for when you check on what's in your Notifications) and the Volume Up and Down Icons are not showing up, any way on how to fix this?

The Jellybean notfication is different from ICS. To clear out you use the _-[SUP]- [/SUP] there no longer is a X.
As for the volume, there are a few apps that will add the volume indicators.

I might redo the modelfix in the coming days/weeks depending on how busy I get to hopefully add them. Personally I am leaning to reasigning the volume buttons to the Menu and Esc button (if people like that).

DerpyTails

Aug 31, 2012
The Jellybean notfication is different from ICS. To clear out you use the _-[SUP]- [/SUP] there no longer is a X.
As for the volume, there are a few apps that will add the volume indicators.

I might redo the modelfix in the coming days/weeks depending on how busy I get to hopefully add them. Personally I am leaning to reasigning the volume buttons to the Menu and Esc button (if people like that).

Thanks for that, I never knew
that JB's bar was THAT different

Sent from my Craig CMP741D using Tapatalk 2

DerpyTails

Aug 31, 2012
Yep, Go to Craig Electronics' Official Website (craigelectronics.com), go to E-Digital, then go to CMP741D and scroll down to the "Download" link and download the archive, after that, extract the update.img from the folder within the archive into the MicroSD card, then insert the MicroSD Card into the Tablet and when it asks to update, select Yes twice and it'll reboot and install the firmware for you :)

Sent from my Craig CMP741D using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: