Uh Oh. Augen Gentouch's Google Apps are 'Unauthorized'

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
FvAyr.png

This smells like trouble for the Augen Gentouch.

According to an inteview by Laptopmag for Google, the Augen Gentouch was never authorized to have Google Applications bundled with the device. But it shipped with them anyway. So they might be in a bit of trouble.
Augen included proprietary Google software in their product via an unauthorized vendor. Google only licenses its software to partners and OHA [Open Handset Alliance] members directly
Telechips, the Korean chipset manufacturer of the Augen Gentouch, has not had a track record of good legal standing with open source software. They have never compiled to the GPL despite distributing products with the Linux kernel on devices such as the SmartQ v7 in the past. Other Telechips TCC8902 tablets are all shipping with proprietary Google software, so it is probably part of the Android 2.1 SDK provided to ODMs design based on the platform.

Another device with a closed source code is Rockchip. Rockchip has also bundled proprietary Google apps into their SDK Demos, including a fully functional Android market. However, Archos did not ship the proprietary Google Apps with their Rockchip RK2808a based Home Tablet,so Augen should have donethe correct thing and stripped the proprietary apps from the sdk demo. Google is likely aware of the many tablets being distributed with unauthorized versions of the Android market in China today. They have also chosen to turn a blind eye for it so far. But the Augen is a product by an American company being sold on American shores. This changes the equation more than a little bit.

It is not clear what will happen to the tablet now. Google most likely will not help Augen implement the Google market on Augen, or any future Telechips TCC8902 variants. Laptopmag continues to speculate that 'perhaps the tablet will disappear from shelves completely.'

But because of the modding community, it is safe to say that even if Augen decides to strip the tablet of all Google related functionality, users will just add it back themselves however they can.

News source:
Google: Augen’s Use of Android Market Unauthorized

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Not my day with these low price tablets. Kmart and Meritline have these bad tablets pushing out to customer with no access to Android Market place. Meritline has brand new one with these same chipset TCC8902 for $199. I'll pass on that one as I have requested RMA # to send it back to them in CA office, not China! My Kmart Gentouch 78 let's see if their patch will work on AM schedule for 8/11/10? If not might ditch this also?

cproth

Jul 26, 2010
They knew this apparently - this was the reason for the holdup with K-mart actually getting them. NOT ok. I reported them to BBB for false advertising as well as selling a product that is not what they marketed or even put in the manual. Someone will likely start a Class-Action lawsuit.

jdelgado

May 11, 2010
I just hope they do right for us for the customers and pay what ever fees are to pay to become an OHA member, but I don't know if they are other restrictions or requirements they have to follow.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The main problem may be that the chipset manufacturer is not OHA. I haven't heard much about Telechips being involved in OHS at all, or at least not that I know of.

Augen is just rebranding, so I don't think it's up to them to decide on anything. A term for this type of company that mainly does rebranding of products and does little actual development is called "包皮公司", which literally means 'skin wrapped company' (no guts/internals).

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The fight is not really Augen vs Google. It's Telechips vs Google.

The funny thing is, Telechips has recently cracked the Android market to work on all their tablets, and is distributing their SDK with fully functional Android market to their ODMs. And these devices are starting to ship in China. That's probably why Augen though they were getting Android market. If Google didn't say anything, they would have had the update pushed to the Gentouch by now.

This is just what I'm hearing...

Products like the HSG x5a, Phecda P7...