(UK) - Buying Advice - 10" Tablet, Full Android Market, Flash, Wifi, etc

Opt1mu5Pr1m3

Oct 5, 2011
Hey all,

Seeking some advice for the people in the know :cool:

I have been browsing the net and searching this forum for around a week, but there are so many out there at the moment, its hard to see which would suit my needs. :confused:

I am looking for a tablet for my daughter and my wife to use. Mainly for web browsing, playing video's and playing apps.

I am looking for a tablet with:
10" Screen
Android 2.2+ (Full android market access)
Flash
Wifi
HDMI out
Camera
Capacitive touch screen (not essential)

Rooting/Firmware upgrading not an issue as i am pretty computer savvy.

Looked at a few including the 10" Elonex ETouch. According to the Elonex website, it has 250mb RAM and 2gb storage, no camera. LINKY.

But while browsing in my local Toys R Us store, i noticed the box is quoting 512mb RAM, 4gb storage and a 2mp camera? LINKY

The reviewer has slated it, but i also noticed they refered to it as the 1012ET, which i cannot find on the Elonex website. (Googling found a set of press release pics, which clearly show a camera and are refering to it as the 2nd generation ETouch)

If it can do what it claims, i think it would be ideal for me and good value at £150?

Any advice would be appreciated! ;)

Thanks

OP

dasflugal

Oct 5, 2011
Hi

I bought 2 the other day, one for my daughter as a Christmas present and one for me to browse the internet and just mess about with.
It isn't going to be anything more than a budget tablet and there is no support that I can find.
The build quality isn't bad and the layout is ok so my daughter who is 9 should be able to use it to play movies, music and games on.

The WiFi connection needs to be started every time it is turned on but I can live with that.
Storage can be expanded up to 32gb though I put a 16gb card in and that will do me for now.
Flash is a bit of a problem though a download from the android market should sort that out (I hope)
The camera isn't great, no flash and is basic.
2 x usb ports and a hdmi port give some expandability and versatility so that's not to bad.
Battery life is good, about 4-6 hrs depending on use.

All in all if you are after a cheap tablet and don't expect it to be an all singing, all dancing then this may fit the bill.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hi

I bought 2 the other day, one for my daughter as a Christmas present and one for me to browse the internet and just mess about with.
It isn't going to be anything more than a budget tablet and there is no support that I can find.
The build quality isn't bad and the layout is ok so my daughter who is 9 should be able to use it to play movies, music and games on.

The WiFi connection needs to be started every time it is turned on but I can live with that.
Storage can be expanded up to 32gb though I put a 16gb card in and that will do me for now.
Flash is a bit of a problem though a download from the android market should sort that out (I hope)
The camera isn't great, no flash and is basic.
2 x usb ports and a hdmi port give some expandability and versatility so that's not to bad.
Battery life is good, about 4-6 hrs depending on use.

All in all if you are after a cheap tablet and don't expect it to be an all singing, all dancing then this may fit the bill.

maybe you there's something of your interest here: Android 2.3 Tablet PC
And we give a yearly speacial offer for android tablet PC in our site now, all with the lowest price, maybe there's something of your interest. enjoy!:)

lenny10to10

Oct 6, 2011
Hi . I have also purchased a Elonex 1012ET which is basically a rebranded Flytouch 3.The tablet i purchased from Toysrus has 6gb storage and not 4gb as advertised . The tablet runs at a resonable speed and is a good spec for the money.it will run most apps although i did have a issue with the latest version of Angry Birds Seasons

I have re flashed the firmware to Tim6 and this has enabled the tablet to use Adhoc wifi and will now also support some 3G doggles and with the new firmawre have not had any issue's with any apps

This reason i purchased this from Toysrus is that you always take it back to the store in the event of a issue rather that buying a flytouch 3 from china and having to ship it back to china at your cost in the event of a issue

Although this tablet is not listed on the Elonex site as yet .Elonex customer services have advised that it will be shortly

Opt1mu5Pr1m3

Oct 5, 2011
Thanks for the good info guys...

SpeMall.com - Thanks for the link, i have been on your site a few times, but as i am from the UK, its not really worth me getting one from yourself.

dasflugal - Yep, i don't have my expectations set too high, although i would like the tablet i get to be able to do the things it advertises. Good info on the wifi, but like you, thats something that wont cause a problem. Have you downloaded the flash from the app store and can you confirm it works ok?

lenny10to10 - Like you, i would prefer to buy from a high street store in case of any issues, just gives you that piece of mind. Good to here this an update to the firmware. Is it an official firmware or a modded one? (either way, i'm not bothered, i have been running a hacked iphone for years).

As posted to dasflugal, do you have flash running well on it? Flash would be one of the big selling points to me as a lot of the use will be flash based (cbeebies, iplayer etc)

Many thanks

OP

lenny10to10

Oct 6, 2011
Thanks for the good info guys...

SpeMall.com - Thanks for the link, i have been on your site a few times, but as i am from the UK, its not really worth me getting one from yourself.

dasflugal - Yep, i don't have my expectations set too high, although i would like the tablet i get to be able to do the things it advertises. Good info on the wifi, but like you, thats something that wont cause a problem. Have you downloaded the flash from the app store and can you confirm it works ok?

lenny10to10 - Like you, i would prefer to buy from a high street store in case of any issues, just gives you that piece of mind. Good to here this an update to the firmware. Is it an official firmware or a modded one? (either way, i'm not bothered, i have been running a hacked iphone for years).

As posted to dasflugal, do you have flash running well on it? Flash would be one of the big selling points to me as a lot of the use will be flash based (cbeebies, iplayer etc)

Many thanks

OP

The Tim6 is modded firmware .With regard to Flash yes it does work but it is slow but that may just be me internet connection .

Opt1mu5Pr1m3

Oct 5, 2011
The Tim6 is modded firmware .With regard to Flash yes it does work but it is slow but that may just be me internet connection .

Thanks again, great help...

I will try and get down my local toys r us and persuade them to let me have a play with one ;)

OP