UK Mobile Broadband

tilsit999

May 21, 2011
Hi everyone and thanks for help received so far.

I want to get a pay and go mobile broadband service for my tablet. When I am at home I use my home BT wireless, but as I spend quite a bit of time in hospital, I need a service so I can use it there.

I have a T-Mobile dongle which worked well on my old laptop. However, when I spoke with T-Mobile, they don't seem to offer mobile broadband for android tablets. Their guy implied I could take the SIM out of the dongle and use it in the tablet and told me to download software from the website. The software was Windows based!

I know Vodafone do contracts but they are all pay monthly, although one is £3 a month (+£2 a day).

Does anyone know if any of the UK networks work with the Acer Iconia tablet and if so what are the deals available?

leatheroo

May 14, 2011
Hi, get yourself a pocket wifi 3G setup. There are a few manufactures that make unlocked units. It is like your dongle but doesnt have to be plugged in to the ACER. It receives the 3G signal and then broadcasts it out as wifi. Usually up to 5 people can connect at once (password protected). Netcomm make Myzone and Huawei also make one. They are just a bit bigger than a credit card.. i carry mine in my handbag. You should be able to take out your sim from your dongle and put it in the pocket wifi for when you are out and about, or ditch the dongle and use the pocket wifi at home as well.
Cheers
caroline

tilsit999

May 21, 2011
Thanks for your advice. I don't think the pocket wifi things are available over here in Britain yet. I can't see them on Ebay.

Scoobynut

May 30, 2011
T Mobile do one - £59.99 on PAYG is a 3G unit with built in Wi Fi. will be getting one soon, but will be getting mine on contract.
Called the Wireless pointer. Says supports Windows and Mac 10.4 but would think once set up will probably work with any wi fi device once set up using a windows PC.

hal752

Apr 27, 2011
There called mifi. Its your only option tbh. Unless your tablet is the 3g version then you would be able to insert the sim into the slot,

3 sell them both on contract and pay as you go, it doesn't require software. You just connect to it like your wfpifi at home.

gazlyn

May 18, 2011
Thanks for your advice. I don't think the pocket wifi things are available over here in Britain yet. I can't see them on Ebay.

they are available on "t mobile" and "three"
aslong as you can get a signal on the relavant network you can use wifi
i use one off "three" and they work great
also no need for "rooting" or any type of editing tablet settings other than setting up a normal wifi network

Last edited:

tilsit999

May 21, 2011
Thanks all

3 coverage is not good near me, so I signed up and bought the T-Mobile pocket router.

Crackers that 3G isn't available on these. Acer should be ashamed.