Unable to Copy PDF to Table

ronehrlich

Nov 7, 2013
I have a small pdf file on my windows pc. I have a HeroTab tablet running android 2.3. The table says that it is conected to my wifi network. I have the adobe reader app installed on my tablet. The objective is to download the pdf to the tablet and view the pdf on the tablet without being connected to a network. What is the best way to accomplish this please? Thanks in advance, Ron Ehrlich

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Ron, congratulations on your HeroTab tablet and welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. If that tablet has a slot for a SD card, I'd suggest putting the card into your PC and copying the PDF to it. Then put the card into your tablet and you're done. Otherwise, you could use Dropbox, Samba, or something similar to transfer the file wirelessly from the PC to the tablet or connect the Tablet to the PC via a USB cable and treat the tablet as a storage device. Hope that helps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dropbox.android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funkyfresh.samba

Enjoy your tablet and the forum!

ronehrlich

Nov 7, 2013
Thanks for the reply. The herotab does have a microsd card slot, and we copied the pdf to there on the pc, but we could not find the file on the tablet, nor could the adobe reader tablet app find it. The pc can see the file on the sd card, but not the tablet apps. More help please.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011

ronehrlich

Nov 7, 2013
We do have ES file manager installed but that app cannot see the pdf on the sd card, yet the PC is able to see it. Please advise and thanks.

ronehrlich

Nov 7, 2013
Yes, when we look with the app "ES File Explorer" in the "/SDCARD/" folder there are subfolders and files visible, but not the pdf file that we copied. However, if we look on our PC, our pdf is on the SD card. Suggestions?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
It sounds like you may be viewing the internal sd instead of the external sd card with ES File Explorer.

ronehrlich

Nov 7, 2013
Yes that is the case because we removed the external sd card from the tablet and ES File Explorer came up with the same file names. Which leads us to the question of how to get either adobe reader or es file explorer to communicate with the external sd card? Any ideas would be most welcome.

DonSchaeffer

Jun 24, 2013
How about Emailing the file as an attachment to yourself. I do that for all kinds of files. You can read the attachment on the tablet.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Yes that is the case because we removed the external sd card from the tablet and ES File Explorer came up with the same file names. Which leads us to the question of how to get either adobe reader or es file explorer to communicate with the external sd card? Any ideas would be most welcome.

When you go to Settings/Storage and scroll down (with the external sd card installed in the tablet) does it show the external sd card? This will tell you if your tablet is recognizing the card.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Which leads us to the question of how to get either adobe reader or es file explorer to communicate with the external sd card?

On my NOOKcolor, I set ES File Explorer to Device. Tap the sdcard shortcut folder. Tap the MyFiles folder and all the files I moved to the SD card are there. (MyFiles is the folder I created on the SD when it was in my PC. Then I created sub folders for Movies, Books, Documents etc. and moved the files into those folders as appropriate. Obviously, you'd be looking for whatever names you used.)

ronehrlich

Nov 7, 2013
We tried emailing the attachment, and opened the email with the gmail android app and we could "preview" the attachment within the gmail app, but we could see no way to save the pdf attachment for offline use. So next we tried the usb cable method: when we connect the pc to the herotab, the top line of the herotab states "usb connected" but neither my XP nor my win 7 pc can see the herotab. The xp machine says we need driver S5P OTG-USB but when we search for that on the web, many sites including cnet claim to offer it, but all we seem to download is toolbar junk and drivers never show. So, in summary, we have tried three routes: sd card, email attachment, and usb cable, and we are no closer to the finish line. Ideas please...

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Did you check to see if the tablet is recognizing the sd card? If so you just need to tell ES File Explorer to look at the external card. The bar above the file tree should show you which sd you are viewing. Select it and choose external sd or whatever your tablet mounts it as.
In gmail when you click on an attachment use a menu option to save the file to your device, should save it to the download folder.

ronehrlich

Nov 7, 2013
Finally found sumfin that worked. We uploaded the pdf to our web site from our pc and then downloaded it to our tablet. The pdf shows up in the downloads directory, and then we nav to it with es file explorer and click on it and adobe reader can see it. One annoyance is that redownloads of the pdf do not overwrite, so we end up with pdf-1, pdf-2, etc. Then we must go back and clean up the download directory. Big sigh. All's well that ends. Thanks for the assist. Regards, Ron in Rochester.