unable to update to 1.1 from 1.0.1 manually

reebz

Apr 2, 2011
I got my NC last Thursday, v. 1.0.1, and wanted to update to 1.1. I followed the instructions on B&N support site to manually install update. I waited awhile for the device to recognize the zip file, install it, and reboot, but it never did. I connected the NC back to my computer and the .zip file was no longer in the main directory of the NC. I tried numerous times and downloaded the file a few times, but still no success. I called B&N support and they were unable to assist, saying I should just wait for the OTA update notification. I've since rooted with AutoNooter for v 1.0.1, but haven't flashed any ROMs yet. I've got GMail app and YouTube app working fine, but would like to update. I've got an OG Droid I've had rooted for about a year and have flashed numerous ROMS, restores, etc. I'm familiar with CW, Spre, RZR recovery, so I'm don't think I'm too much of a noob with Android. I just think it's weird the 1.1 update zip file always disappears from the main directory. I think the Nook's working fine. I've downloaded a book from the Nook store and was able to drag and drop a PDF file into the documents file, and view that file. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I assume CMR is Clockwork Mod Recovery; I do not have it installed.

That is correct. What Carbira1 is saying is that it will block an OTA update if you install CWR. It sounds like your 1.1 side load update failed before you even rooted though.

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
So you put the update on your NC and then you waited for the back light to turn off and then what happens? Any error messages?

reebz

Apr 2, 2011
That is correct. What Carbira1 is saying is that it will block an OTA update if you install CWR. It sounds like your 1.1 side load update failed before you even rooted though.

I understand about CWR blocking OTA updates. 1.1 sideload fails. I wait for update to install and reboot. I let device go to sleep mode, but nothing happens. I connect and open folder and 1.1 .zip file is no longer on my deivce

reebz

Apr 2, 2011
So you put the update on your NC and then you waited for the back light to turn off and then what happens? Any error messages?

No error messages. It appears as if 1.1 update .zip file disappears as soon as I eject my NC

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Once you copy the zip to root directory of internal storage, unplug the NC from the cable.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No error messages. It appears as if 1.1 update .zip file disappears as soon as I eject my NC

Do you have an SD card installed? When connecting via USB with an SD card installed you will have two new drives pop up on the computer. One is the Nook internal and the other is the SD card. If you are placing the file on the SD card that would explain why you can't see it on the nooks internal files from the Nook. For an unrooted nook and for the purposes of updating the B&N software I suggest removing any sd card.

Once you have moved the B&N zip file to the main directory of the the internal nook drive (the root directory), eject the nook by right clicking on the drive and then clicking eject. Unplug the USB cable after the message that says it is ok to unplug. Now press the power button to put the nook to sleep and wait. Hopefully it will pick up the zip file and reboot at some point.

It doesn't sound like this is your first rodeo but it doesn't hurt to go over the steps again incase something was missed. The link to the preroot is the way to go if you are familiar with flashing ROMs. If not you can check out this link http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

Please let me know if I am under or over estimating your proficiency and I will atempt to give more focused advice based on that.

JP :)

Apr 8, 2011
Similar issue. My NC was rooted, but decided to return to stock. I was able to restore it to 1.0.1, but am unable to install the 1.10 update. I've tried sideloading, but nothing happens. I've also uninstalled CWR twice to ensure it was off. I haven'ttried using the 1.1.0 torrent yet, but I will. More than anything I'm wondering if I will be left out of all future updates as well.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
HD, what did you do to try and install the 1.1 update and how did you return to stock? You have to place the update file from the B&N website in the root directory of the internal nook memory and then let it sleep or tap the power button to sleep it and wait for it to do its thing.

If you have truly restored your nook (depends on how you returned it to stock) you shouldn't be left out of any updates.

JP

reebz

Apr 2, 2011
Do you have an SD card installed? When connecting via USB with an SD card installed you will have two new drives pop up on the computer. One is the Nook internal and the other is the SD card. If you are placing the file on the SD card that would explain why you can't see it on the nooks internal files from the Nook. For an unrooted nook and for the purposes of updating the B&N software I suggest removing any sd card.

Once you have moved the B&N zip file to the main directory of the the internal nook drive (the root directory), eject the nook by right clicking on the drive and then clicking eject. Unplug the USB cable after the message that says it is ok to unplug. Now press the power button to put the nook to sleep and wait. Hopefully it will pick up the zip file and reboot at some point.

It doesn't sound like this is your first rodeo but it doesn't hurt to go over the steps again incase something was missed. The link to the preroot is the way to go if you are familiar with flashing ROMs. If not you can check out this link http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

Please let me know if I am under or over estimating your proficiency and I will atempt to give more focused advice based on that.

JP :)

At the time, I did not have an SD card installed, so only the Nook drive opened up when I connected viz USB. I ultimately updated using [ROM] Nook Color V1.1.0 with no problems.

commodog35

Mar 28, 2011
To all in discussion,
I was having the same problem updating to V1.1.0, I did have the SD card installed, and the screen started flashing that there was no program installed. As a newbie, I thought I had a brick on my hands already. After flashing it and starting over without the SD card in it, I succeeded at it. Now need to learn to sideload programs onto my nook color. This community has been very friendly and helpful. I thank all for the tips that I have learned by reading.
CDOG