Understanding how the memory works...

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
I'm noob when it comes to tec talk. I do understand Internal and External memory. What I'm not getting is how this tablet is reading things.

It has 4gb of internal storage. I for now have a 2gb sdcard in it. I downloaded Elixir widget to read my info and it says I have 160mb left of internal. Then on a picture of and SDcard for external it says I have 2.7gb left.

The tablet reads my sdcard but not the widget. I also ran a sdcard speed test to see what would be read and it states that i hav a class 4 card. The 2gb card is from 3 year old and i now its not that class.

So how does this tablet work ... Is the memory split some how? What is Nand memory? any links to this info would be helpful too. Thanks...

Last edited:

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
it's kind of weird how they did the partition setup on this thing. the mtd for the system partitions (boot, recovery, system, cache, userdata, tcc, misc) is only 512MiB. In this thread, i made a list of the mtd partitions, their sizes, and the order they come in on the mtd device.

the drive/partition mounted as /nand is what you are seeing as Internal storage with 2.xxGiB free. your sd card will be mounted to /sdcard and is actually ignored by most apps.

Last edited:

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
sndplace,
Some file browsers like AndExplorer that I use have a button [SD Card] - click there and it shows you /nand/ not /sdcard! Aldiko also twists it up. I bet whatever app told you had 2.7 of SD was really looking at /nand/ and not /sdcard/. /nand/ is part of the 4GB that came with the MID7015. /sdcard is the SD card you put in the tablet.

Let's mention RAM.
When my MID7015 boots it says
DDRII: 256M
So it has 4GB of memory, plus 256MB of RAM?

In l_n's thread I don't see swap. Is cache a replacement for swap? just 40MB. Google's Android pages explain the aggressive swap-out (application life cycle), guess 40 MB is enough.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
sndplace,
Some file browsers like AndExplorer that I use have a button [SD Card] - click there and it shows you /nand/ not /sdcard! Aldiko also twists it up. I bet whatever app told you had 2.7 of SD was really looking at /nand/ and not /sdcard/. /nand/ is part of the 4GB that came with the MID7015. /sdcard is the SD card you put in the tablet.

Yea I was guessing the same thing. On my phone I have the sdcard widget and I wanted to get it on my tablet. Couldn't get it off the market. got it from applanet. But from all the widgets I tryed, they state the same thing. There not reading the sdcard, there reading the nand as the sdcard. So the 4gb internal is partitioned. The 160mb that it reads as internal goes up and down when i add and delete apps but the 2.7gb stays the same. I'll keep reading and trying other apps to see what I can find.

I just got on facebook the end of last year. I'll look into wikipedia more this year . lol Thanks for the links.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
sndplace,
Go to Settings -> SD card & device storage settings
There you should see the real numbers for both SD Card and Nand

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
the userdata mtd partition is mounted as /data, which is where apps are installed and where most of their data (go figure...) is stored.
more intelligent app designers put their data wherever the system tells them the external storage (sdcard) is, which for some reason the kyros says is the internal 2.xx GiB