universal app for playing videos?

Sander

Dec 14, 2011
Hi

I bought my sony tablet s (32GB, WiFi) a week ago. This is my first tablet and i'm still getting used to it. :) Yesterday, i transferred the family guy season 3 to my internal storage and wanted to watch some episodes while i was on the bus, but when i tried to play one, i got a message saying: "cannot find an application that supports video/x-msvideo". The videos are .avi format. Is there an app available that allows you to play most formats on your sony tablet?

Thanks a lot!

PS: apologies if this subject allready existed in another thread

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I use MXPlayer, MoboPlayer and DicePlayer. MX is where I would start since it supports using hardware acceleration. Dice also does, but it is a paid app. Mobo is software only, so it does not handle 720p and higher that well.

HertzPL

Dec 14, 2011
I'm also using MXplayer. It's the best player out on the market. It supports subtitles (.txt & .srt) and many video formats like .avi or .mp4...
best one !

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I've used many different players but my goto is Rockplayer, the number of formats it supports is mindboggling. avi and mp4 no sweat.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I have been using AnyVideoConverter, but MXplayer looks really good!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Sander

Dec 14, 2011
Ok I,m going to try MX then :)

Thank you, all

Sander

Dec 14, 2011
It works great :)

One more question though: i had to download a codec (ARMv7) after i downloaded the app. I saw that there are more codecs available. Should i download them all?

Thanks.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
According to the application notes, you don't need to download any other codecs unless you are prompted to. If you try to run a video file that you don't have the proper codec for, the app will tell you which one you need to download. No need to load up your memory with codecs you might not need and never use.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Good, I was wondering the same thing. :)

Sander

Dec 14, 2011
Allright, thanks a lot, everyone.