Unsure about the SYTABEX7

Malarky

Mar 19, 2011
So I just bought a mini-tablet express and now after reading up some, I'm having reservations. Not happy about the current problems i.e.
* no auto rotation
* not able to update
* no HDMI slot
* not able to connect to pc via usb

This is my first tablet and I'm in unfamiliar waters. I was hoping this would be enough fit my needs, however; none of my e-books are recognizing with Laputa and Droidreader is a joke. (none of my pdf comics are able to be viewed on it.)

SO... do I trade up to a SYNETLP, or spend the 150$ on different company?
I would appreciate any advice the difference between the two builds, or similarly priced tablets that are easier to play with.
*Edit* I've been looking at the Pandigital Novel as a possble step up. is this easy to root? or would another tablet be more useful? *edit*

Last edited:

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
I thought we already had another thread on this but the SYNET is supposedly available at CVS for a hundred bucks. When you go there just make sure you get the right one.
Went to my two local CVS locations yesterday and they didnt have them. Based on gasoline prices I cant afford to run all over the place looking for a store that does have one, and they arent being sold or even acknowledged online. Guess I will go without.

Good luck to you.

Malarky

Mar 19, 2011
I thought we already had another thread on this but the SYNET is supposedly available at CVS for a hundred bucks. When you go there just make sure you get the right one.
Went to my two local CVS locations yesterday and they didnt have them. Based on gasoline prices I cant afford to run all over the place looking for a store that does have one, and they arent being sold or even acknowledged online. Guess I will go without.

Good luck to you.

CVS is where I picked this one up. I didn't realize that some stores had the other model. I'll check and see if they have that one, when I return this one.

Thanks for the tip.

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011
CVS is where I picked this one up. I didn't realize that some stores had the other model. I'll check and see if they have that one, when I return this one.

Thanks for the tip.

I don't think CVS carries the SYNETLP (Mini Tablet) model. They only have the SYTABEX7 (Mini Tablet EXPRESS) and in some areas the Craig CMP 738a tablet.

For what you pay for and what you get, I actually think this tablet is well worth it. True it does lack auto rotation and a hdmi out but for $99 I'm not complaining. Now if you want to put out an extra $50-$60 to get the SYNETLP, thats your choice.

From what I hear, this tablet should be getting an upgrade pretty soon and that may help with the lack of support for pc connection. However, connecting to a pc is not that big of an issue for me because I can just either pop out my micro sd card and connect it to the pc, transfer files via FTP or SMB, or connect a flash drive to the micro usb port on the tablet to make transfers.

Now again, you have to measure what you get based on the price and $99 is a heck of a deal for what you get. Now lets look at some of the strong points of the tablet.

*Pretty powerful cpu (Same as the SYNETLP model) capable of running @ 1ghz (Currently 800 mhz)
*720p Movie support
*Pretty good game support (Angry birds and Fruit Ninja work and plays smooth.)
*Rootable
*$99 dollars for a giant mp3 player, hd movie player, internet browser, and ebook reader. Also capable of light gaming.

Last edited:

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Just wait. you will remove a few APPS and try to get new oes on and be greeted with a NO FREE MEMORY error. Or you will spend the next 55555000000000000000000 years waiting for an update. Hold your breath.. I'll call the blue boy in the corner when they decide to do anything to upgrade this tab.
MY end all be all of human existence is seeing this Co. being destroyed!

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011
I was hoping this would be enough fit my needs, however; none of my e-books are recognizing with Laputa and Droidreader is a joke. (none of my pdf comics are able to be viewed on it.)

Have you installed Adobe reader on the device? If your comics are in the .pdf format, Adobe reader will allow you to view them.

Just wait. you will remove a few APPS and try to get new oes on and be greeted with a NO FREE MEMORY error. Or you will spend the next 55555000000000000000000 years waiting for an update. Hold your breath.. I'll call the blue boy in the corner when they decide to do anything to upgrade this tab.
MY end all be all of human existence is seeing this Co. being destroyed!

It sounds like yours may be defective. So, I would just return it and try another one out.

As I mentioned, I understand the limitations of the tablet and I'm not expecting anything more out of it. Even without an "official" update things are working pretty stable for my needs and expectations. However, I'm sure someone over at XDA or Slatedroid will figure something out after the kernel is released, its just a matter of time.

Last edited:

Malarky

Mar 19, 2011
Thanks for the info Marbieskarb. I understand that this is a 99 dollar tablet, and I'm not expecting an IPAD. I would like to know if my money would be better spent on a diiferent model, because I've a $75 bestbuy giftcard that I could put toward an upgrade.

I'm also concerned about memory issues some people have been having like St0ne. Were you trying to root yours when it bricked, St0ne? Or did it happen did it happen during reset?

I also agree that it will likely be around the next millenium before when see a proper update, as 2.2 Android has been out for quite sometime.

I'm currenty looking at the pandigtal novel or the similar model put out by Cruz. Any suggestions?

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks for the info Marbieskarb. I understand that this is a 99 dollar tablet, and I'm not expecting an IPAD. I would like to know if my money would be better spent on a diiferent model, because I've a $75 bestbuy giftcard that I could put toward an upgrade.

I'm also concerned about memory issues some people have been having like St0ne. Were you trying to root yours when it bricked, St0ne? Or did it happen did it happen during reset?

I also agree that it will likely be around the next millenium before when see a proper update, as 2.2 Android has been out for quite sometime.

I'm currenty looking at the pandigtal novel or the similar model put out by Cruz. Any suggestions?

Well, it all depends on what you want to do with the tablet. To be honest I don' think you would be able to do anymore with the pandigital and depending on the cruz model you get (Reader R or or Tablet T,) that might not be much better than the Sylvania either. If I had to make a suggestion on a solid tablet to get with more features, I would recommend the Nook Color. If it goes back to $199 like it did a few weeks ago, I'm not going to let it slide past me again. I opted to get the eLocity A7 instead but, with the lack of multitouch and me being a gamer I will just take less power for the multitouch feature.

Last edited: