update update

gwmclean

Jan 4, 2011
Message: I was wondering if there was any updates on the Sylvania 7"
Mini Tablet - SYNET7LP? The lastest update was to be release the end of
January, but I am assuming has run into some delays. Is there an eta on
the arrival of the next update? And also I having trouble with Java
games on the tablet and watching some flash videos is there anything you
can suggest to help me with these issues?

AND THE RESPONSE IS:

We are trying to push this update before the end of the month. We
apologize for the delay.

natura

Mar 3, 2011
Update is in! Warning: I have none of my apps anymore, I have no space supposedly, It makes me configure the crosshairs every start up, and still no hdmi!

I am never buying Sylvania anymore- what a rip off. Selling a product with features that do not work even months later. Not releasing source code when they can't even get it right is TOTALLY UNREAL. They should release and hope someone who wants to fix it will save their piece of crap and make it what it should be!

Edit 1: OK There is another update after this update- I am holding my breathe LOL
Edit 2: Warning is still valid since the only thing that has changed is it now says HDMI connected but that's it. No actually proof of it on the External Screen( and I know that hdmi works) . hmmmm should I check for another update??
I see no kernal or software change still 2.02 too. For the record:I did have root b4 but did not do any hack for market
Edit3: There is another update available!! I've done two so far today- think I will wait for tomorrow.

Edit 4: Since it reports I have no hard drive space- I am doing a stock recovery (no change here either-grr). It completed successful and I now have about a gig of space. Firmware is still DG2.02 and Kernel 2.6.32.9 warits@msuG #43

Dunno both updates took awhile to download and seem to complete. No errors or anything but I do not see any change. time to install some stuff and dig around LOL. Maybe I should Update again b4 doing anything??

Ok I am updating again! Under networking I did notice VPN option : )..btw each update has taken over 6 minutes and I am on RR. Well booted up fine no crosshairs to do and OH my Internet didn't need inputting but weather does..ok b4 I do anything I check for update...YUP has another..reallly?..oh what the heck LOL

Edit 6 or 7 maybe now LOL booted up fine and yet there is YET another update..bah humbug I am suspicious LOL. There are some changes at a quick glance happening first 4 or 5 updates nnever replaced slide (or whatever it is named..their crummy market app) Now it has reappeared..and so with yet another update I am giving it a go LOL. Least I know it is doing something.

Rebooted fine and now going for another update..wish they didnt take 8 mintes or so to do each time LOL

Last edited:

natura

Mar 3, 2011
and yet their is still a update showing. I timed one of them 11 minutes and 35 seconds. I wonder if the update is not taking because of the way busybox is installed?? Nah these appear to be full fledge flashes. Think I will edit some system file before the update to see if it reverts back like some did during one of these upteen flashes LOL

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
You probably got the SAM/Slide Me market back when you did the stock recovery. I'm convinced something is wrong with the update file and it isn't actually installing/flashing anything on the tablet and therefore it thinks there is an update still available. I can't see any differences before or after the update, no matter how many times you do it.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
I sent a message to Sylvania describing the problem in great detail. I questioned the differences between the SYNET7LP and the SYTABEX7, and if that was the problem. I did this last night and no reply yet this morning.

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
I did the same yesterday morning. I got a reply in the afternoon -

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Try to do a factory reset in the settings and then try the update again"

Of course I had already tried this, tried recovering back to stock and then updating, etc, and still nothing. I replied right back saying that doing a factory reset and then updating didn't change anything but haven't gotten a reply from them.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
I even went so far as to uninstall the hand full of apps i had on it, unmount the SD card and remove it.
Now it reboots by it's self... so I think its safe to assume that we done have to do the press both back buttons and touch the screen at just the right moment in the update process....

natura

Mar 3, 2011
I Know there are little changes occuring.

I did three more updates this am- last one was a bad update and stopped at 8%. Freaking out...
..I decided not to LOL. After a LONG wait at 8%- I hit the menu button then back button and then home YES..and did a quick update again as fast as I could LOL. I read someone bricked theirs when this hang happened to them. I am not sure what action they took-therefore I have babbled mine out above just in case it helps anyone.

Updates can take over 11 minutes...with my connection speeds on RR.

On some updates I have notice nice improvement on memory handling and some have terrible..also the keyboard was really nice on one and not so nice on another LOL. Some system folders that were empty before all this now contain items. I think some disappeared and why I lost all my apps in beginning. About 5 updates ago I had reinstalled some and they haven't gone anywhere. I wouldn't recommended doing all this til outcome is established and we know it benefits us LOL. I am a knob btw and know this machine has great potential. I also am taking all the risks thinking worse can happened is I get booot up hehe and I am forced to fine another way of installing something hehe. I am a Knob but pretty gutsy. OH and I babble a lot

Imagine that " GADGETS:"I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Try to do a factory reset in the settings and then try the update again"

Of course I had already tried this,"

I did the factory reset oh about 6-8 updates ago since the flash ended up being very unstable. They say I can update still grrrrrrrrrrr. Well I will try the hdmi out thing and see if anything had changed again..I will probably also edit a file to see if it reverts back

Interesting I have about a zillion (haha)firmware/firmware/firmware folders in udisk ..a directory that I believe in the beginning was empty. I wonder maybe I will stop updating and reroot and dig around a bit before updating again

Last edited:

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Good info! I too would like to know what is in those nested folders.
You have the full scale version I see. (w/HDMI) I have the stripped down ver.
Did you notice any change in the kernel #'s?

natura

Mar 3, 2011
Good info! I too would like to know what is in those nested folders.
You have the full scale version I see. (w/HDMI) I have the stripped down ver.
Did you notice any change in the kernel #'s?

Hi Stone
I don't believe my kernel did a change. What did change as HDMI wasn't recognized at all by the device. Now it sees when it's engaged but does nothing else as far as I know. Didn't flash most of the day. Will probably wait for Monday since I believe it's LOTS busier on weekends but who knows LOL. I probably will get curious again. I rooted again. Chmod my busybox files back since it change all that too. I had done some manual changes in prop and it changed those back. So it's obvious it has done some things. My guts screams that it is an error in their original programming. Their busybox was not always seen by some programs. Intentional or not do not know. So I had that fixed before and had to fix that again. Also some changes on the dates of folders indicating a change (NOT MANY though). Will update more when I have flashed again.

Oh and I went about eleven deep in those empty folders! Maybe- I will dig deeper hehe I get bored easy

Last edited:

kpaulsen

Mar 5, 2011
I have the same problem. I can't install apks because it says I don't have enough space, and I have to calibrate the screen and enter in my WiFi every time I turn it on. I've tried resetting to factory settings and multiple updates. Nothing works. I don't notice any differences after an update.

In the file manager it says I have 511MB and 480-something available. In the system info somewhere (I don't have it in front of me) it says I have almost 16GB on the card and 0 internal. I currently have no apks installed besides what comes with it.

How many others are having this problem?

natura

Mar 3, 2011
I have the same problem. I can't install apks because it says I don't have enough space, and I have to calibrate the screen and enter in my WiFi every time I turn it on. I've tried resetting to factory settings and multiple updates. Nothing works. I don't notice any differences after an update.

In the file manager it says I have 511MB and 480-something available. In the system info somewhere (I don't have it in front of me) it says I have almost 16GB on the card and 0 internal. I currently have no apks installed besides what comes with it.

How many others are having this problem?

Hope you figured out the fix by now.. I believe, I had to do recovery. Someone posted great visuals for it. (You simply turn off the tablet. Press the screen and at same time power and menu..immediate upon seeing the text release and then just hit menu)

I also encounter that constant need to recalculate/wifi until somehwere in the middle of all the updates it started to remember everything including the additional apps I loaded again.

Last edited:

xphyle

Aug 27, 2010
Hey All,

I have a problem. When I try to update the device, it seems to be stuck on the "check updating" screen. The little hourglass circle thing is spinning, but nothing ever happens. I've done a complete recovery of the device and tried the update function again, and nothing every happens. I have never rooted or changed anything. It's all stock. And I AM connected fine to my wireless network and can browse the internet with it just fine, so I know it isn't a wifi connection issue. It used to update just fine! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Xphyle

natura

Mar 3, 2011
Perplexing indeed. No worries though-Not like the update has shown to be of any benefit. Also knowing the intelligent minds on this and other forums you still will be able to get a good update without the icky stuff LOL.

BTW everyone should already know about the virus/malware attacks. I had to look around for the list of apps from the market that were established KNOWN as infectors. Nice page here:Myournet Pirated Apps Root, Steal Data, Install Code...Just to Start | Juniper Global Threat Center
aka
http://globalthreatcenter.com/?p=2091