Updating from Nookie Froyo to CM7 RC4

liquid85

Apr 5, 2011
Well this is my first post. I've learned a lot about my nook color from these forums but I'm wondering about the easiest way to backup and transfer my apps and settings. Im running nookie froyo flashed onto the nooks internal memory and I want to flash cm7 to get bluetooth. Is there a way to back up my apps, widgets and settings to my computer so that after I flash cm7 I can reinstall everything? I really appreciate any help I can get on this.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi there,

Yes there are two ways to back up. First is to create a nandroid backup through CWR this is a complete image that you can restore your nook to. See here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html. Second you can use the app Titanium Backup to back up all your apps and data for the apps. Between these two methods you back up and restore nearly everything. For either method you can copy the backup files from you SD card to your PC so that you have a backup of the backup.

liquid85

Apr 5, 2011
Thanks for the help. Let me just make sure I have the steps right.
1. Make a nandroid and titanium backup.
2. Flash the CM7 rom.
3. Restore the two backups.

Then after all that I should have a nook with a new rom and all my settings back the way they were before. Do I have it correct? Thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the help. Let me just make sure I have the steps right.
1. Make a nandroid and titanium backup.
2. Flash the CM7 rom.
3. Restore the two backups.

Then after all that I should have a nook with a new rom and all my settings back the way they were before. Do I have it correct? Thanks.

Step 3 is just to restore your apps from TB. The nandroid is in case something goes wrong you can revert to what you currently have.

liquid85

Apr 5, 2011
oh ok cool. Will titanium back up settings like wallpapers and wifi networks?

ropodope

Aug 29, 2010
Step 3 is just to restore your apps from TB. The nandroid is in case something goes wrong you can revert to what you currently have.
any time you change roms you will have errors in some apps when you restore titanium backup. Your settings will not all be retained. A backup is different than a data and settings transfer wizard.

ropodope

Sent from my Vaelpak 3.2 enhanced Evo 4g using Android Tablet Forum

ropodope

Aug 29, 2010
How would I go about a data and settings transfer?
you will have to reset your settings up again. Reinstall your apps again from the market for the ones that have errors or just do them all from the market. If sticking with the same rom but just an updated version your apps will be ok from a backup in most cases but your individual settings will prob need to be tweaked somewhat.

ropodope

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
any time you change roms you will have errors in some apps when you restore titanium backup. Your settings will not all be retained. A backup is different than a data and settings transfer wizard.

ropodope

Yep, when changing ROMs not everything is 100% retained. Many people feel this is a chance to start fresh with apps and desktop setups. For stuff that is important TB will usually keep your app data intact, though some apps work with one ROM and not another so you may have issues there.

liquid85

Apr 5, 2011
I guess starting fresh wouldn't be so bad. Can I use titanium backup to just restore one or two of the apps at a time? That way I wouldn't have a lot of apps that have problems.
Thanks for the help. one more question though. when upgrading from one rom to another do I need to somehow delete the old rom, or can I just install the new one over the old one? If I do need to delete the old one how do I do that? Thanks a lot.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
yes you can restore a batch or individually - just go to titanium, click on the app and click restore. If you have an app already installed it will ask you if you want to replace

I guess starting fresh wouldn't be so bad. Can I use titanium backup to just restore one or two of the apps at a time? That way I wouldn't have a lot of apps that have problems.
Thanks for the help. one more question though. when upgrading from one rom to another do I need to somehow delete the old rom, or can I just install the new one over the old one? If I do need to delete the old one how do I do that? Thanks a lot.