Updating System on AMID 971r and 972xs

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
Hi, there has been an update released for both Buahn tablet models, I'm just putting this here in it's own thread so it's easy to find for tablet owners, rather than asking questions and sifting through threads. It's a reposting of existing information others have found.

Tempo Australia is the authorised service agent in Australia, they release the updates in Australia and host the files.

Here is the link for the AMID 971R tablet update.
AMID-971R Software Update

Here is the link for the AMID 972XS tablet update.
AMiD-972XS Software Update

I found it best to open the link on PC so it was easy to view on screen whilst also doing it on the tablet. For the 972XS, after restart, the custom flash 10.2 was gone and I could not find flash 11.1 on the market so I copied it out from my phone to the PC, then into the tablet and installed it that way.

I had already updated the 971r to flash 11.1 and that was still intact after update.

BTW, TouchPal Keyboard (free) from Google Play makes things easier once set up properly because you can type into your browser a web address and hit the go button instead of searching via Google. For browsers on Android, so far, the best I have used is Opera Mini.

Do the update BEFORE you ROOT the tablet. I returned my 972xs because it had a screen issue. I updated the replacement, now rooted also. The root app did get stuck at a prompt where it says that can happen and I left it a while then unplugged the USB and reconnected it, then the root completed ok.

Flash player is too large to attach, but it can be downloaded online, I had a google for it and found a link straight away.
I have the Adobe Flash Player 11.1_11.1.111.10.apk version in my tablets and it works in both.

http://win-droid.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/android-flashplayerapk.html

Last edited:

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
ok, first thing I notice is that now Ice Cream Sandwich Tablet is spelled correctly (it was previously Ice Cream Sanwich or something like that earlier ... :)

PS, and my Google Calendar app is gone again (just that one)

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
first finding

network even weaker than before

this reall is a tablet for the enthusiast isn't it

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
LOL, I'm wondering if you might have purchased a lemon.

You could see if any Aldi stores have one left and make use of the 60 day policy?

My first one, whilst ok function wise, did have some little issues physically. The replacement addresses all of those problems and I'm now happy with it.
One thing I like is that the OS is basic ICS, no plethora of bloat-ware add on apps. I add my own apps and it still runs sweet instead of laggy. It doesn't require rooting unless you have apps that need root access.
My Samsung phone came pre-installed with so much rubbish that I rooted it and stripped a heap of it out just to keep it running smooth with my downloaded apps installed.

senus

Sep 22, 2012
pellicle said:
first finding

network even weaker than before

Sorry to hear it's not working out for you, I honestly have no difference to wifi signal strength after the update.

pellicle said:
this reall is a tablet for the enthusiast isn't it

No it's not meant to be, imo it's a budget priced tablet aimed at mums and dads. I got mine because I considered it feature rich for the price.

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
Yes, me too, it does what I need it to. I'm not bothered getting a quad core tablet that may chew it's battery in 2 or 3 hours just so I can run an extra pair of cores most apps cannot use anyway.

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
No it's not meant to be, imo it's a budget priced tablet aimed at mums and dads. I got mine because I considered it feature rich for the price.

its not much chop if things which are supposed to be there and working disappear ... you know, like the standard calendar

senus

Sep 22, 2012
Yes you're right, that sort of basic stuff should be working.

Anyone know if tempo take user feedback? You would think they would want to fix these kinds of problems

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
just discovered that my front camera is not working. It was before the update

any way to 'undo' that?

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
I'm thinking of seeing if another OS can be flashed on mine now. Tempo will have to release another update. This is getting ridiculous!

Sent from my AMID-972XS using Tapatalk 2

senus

Sep 22, 2012
Robbo said:
I'm thinking of seeing if another OS can be flashed on mine now. Tempo will have to release another update. This is getting ridiculous!

AFAIK there is no custom rom development specifically for the 972xs, nor is there any port of any other rom that works on the 972xs. However there is a new novo7 tablet out called novo7 fire. From what I can tell it's a Chinese tablet that uses the exact same CPU as the 972xs.

Also a couple of the previous novo7 tablets have had custom rom development, the elf II even had a cm9 port. If the new fire gets some custom rom development it might be worth looking at. Someone with a bit more knowledge than me might even be able to adapt for use on the 972xs

Yowie22

Dec 31, 2012

I have also been caught with the "upgrade" and now have no front camera. Has anyone had any response from Tempo or got a fix for the camera?

I also hadn't backed up the original version before the upgrade. If anyone else did, any chance to get a copy to try and revert my tablet back to original. I want my camera back.

Thanks

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
I also hadn't backed up the original version before the upgrade.

I hadn't known this was possible? If you mean the backing up of the camera app, then that doesn't help

If anyone else did, any chance to get a copy to try and revert my tablet back to original. I want my camera back.

I have contacted them and get bull**** and fob offs. My next move is to return the tablet under warranty
I have some other issues forming up anyway.