Upgrade system buttons found

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
Only because I haven't seen anyone posting button holds on boot-up... I just figured out how to force a system upgrade on the MID7024.

01.) Turn the device completely off.
02.) Press and Hold the round-silver Home button and the Power button until you see the words "Upgrade System Activated" under the Coby logo.
03.) Release the buttons.
04.) Across the top you will see the error message...
"Can not find any update image."
"Press MENU/KEY_VOLUMEUP key to init SD Card,"
"Press BACK/KEY_VOLUMEDOWN key to cancel!"

So if my guess is correct... based on another user's post that other apps are telling him his device is rooted... it is possible that Z4Root has actually run some sort of unlock even though it's failing on the rooting part. Kind of like the S-ON/S-OFF switch on an HTC EVO's hboot menu. I'm thinking if I drop an IMG file (like CyanogenMod 7) on the root of the SD Card, this thing may in fact flash the IMG file thinking it's an upgrade. If not... it may be like the EVO where we have to rename the IMG file to one recognized by the Kyros.

So here I am sitting here debating on the potential bricking I may impose on myself now. =)

-ZenTsang

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
OK... so apparently the upgrade process only looks to the "internal SD card" and not an external microSD. It said it was "Makeing partitions" and then ran a check on the internal SD card and didn't find anything so it shutdown. And yes... "Makeing" is actually how it is misspelled on the Coby. =)

So I'm rebooting into the system to use ES File Explorer and copying over the "recovery.img" file I have (ClockworkMod). Fingers crossed.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
I'm pretty sure you need a signed upgrade.zip file for the 7024. Be nice if we could drop an img file on a sd card and let it fly. Unfortunately, I think if you did that, bricking your tablet is in your future.

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
Last post for today. The above things did not work. However...

Apparently messing with the "Upgrade System Activated" menu options... yeah... wipes the device back to Factory Default settings. So all the things I've done thus far only result in a Factory wipe. Thus the "Makeing partitions" message.

I will try again tomorrow.

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
I'm pretty sure you need a signed upgrade.zip file for the 7024. Be nice if we could drop an img file on a sd card and let it fly. Unfortunately, I think if you did that, bricking your tablet is in your future.

I didn't think about the "signed" zip thing. I bet I may have had success if I had a signed zip. Thanks for the thought. Something to start off on tomorrow. =)

-ZenTsang

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
So far nothing has worked. Still no bricked device so that's good. But I'm still trying.

-ZenTsang

momac

Apr 15, 2011
So far nothing has worked. Still no bricked device so that's good. But I'm still trying.

-ZenTsang

So I'm curious ZenTsang. Does the above statement imply your "recovery.img" restored your device to a working status ?

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
ZenTsang, have you tried rooting first? I got mine rooted.

YES!! I just did it!! WHOO HOO!! Through lots of searching I came across a manual method that took some tweaking...but I got it finally working. Had to do a lot of ADB commands and install PDANet just for the Android ADB driver. Once I got the correct combination and reset the Kyros to factory defaults... the rooting went easy. Props to the site I got this from...

How to Root MID7024

I installed ADB Over Wireless widget which requires root and it works. I had to install Superuser in order to grant access to root, but it's working. I just can't figure out how to get the official Android Market on here. I have an APK I saved on my HTC EVO but when I try to install it on the MID7024, it fails.

Any ideas on that one?

My next move is to get either ClockworkMod or AmonRa on here so I can back this thing up.

-ZenTsang

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Man you think tipster would of given me a little credit for my hard work. He didn't copy my snazzy disclaimer :) Got all the other commands tho, love that cut and paste function

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
So I'm curious ZenTsang. Does the above statement imply your "recovery.img" restored your device to a working status ?

Momac - No. The Kyros MID7024 has it's own recovery system it seems. With the device turned off... powering on while holding the silver-round-Home button and the power button results in a forced System Upgrade program kicking off. Again... I added nothing to the device (i.e. recovery.img). It's just built in. Once it loads you are presented with 2 options... exit and do nothing, or run the ... what appears to be ... a factory reset of the internal memory partitions. I don't recall the actual title but it's the only other option beside do nothing and quit.

For those not knowing... and me not having experience with previous Kyros versions like the MID7015... the MID7024 partitions it's internal memory and actually calls one of those partitions an SD Card. So with nothing in the microSD slot... the device looks at one of the internal memory partitions as an SD Card. This can cause confusion.

With that said... let me state the I rooted my Kyros MID7024 WITHOUT a microSD card. I only used the internal memory as it was already partitioned by the system.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get ClockworkMod on here so I can flash the Google Apps and get the Android Market on there. For some reason the APK will not install.

And yes... I verified I am rooted by installing multiple ROOT-ONLY apps which all work fine.

-ZenTsang

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
Man you think tipster would of given me a little credit for my hard work. He didn't copy my snazzy disclaimer :) Got all the other commands tho, love that cut and paste function

Dave... you figured this out? I will totally edit my post and give you the props. I just happened to stumble on that site.

-ZenTsang

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Don't worry about it ZenTsang, It was a bad day yesterday followed by a bad 2 hour meeting. I popped into the website to see if anything new was going on when I saw your post linking to the other site. By the time the meeting was over and I got home I had gone from a full boil to a simmer. My original post plan was much worse. Anyways, the Linux and Android community have some great helping folks and a few over-blown ego's. I became that which I normally don't care for, one of those over-blown egos. I didn't spend 3 days trying to root the 7024 so I can pat myself on the back. I did it because I think for the $$$ the 7024 is one of the best out there now and rooting it only makes it so the community can make it better. Hopefully, it won't happen again.

momac

Apr 15, 2011
ZenTsang,

That's great info on the resident restore/recovery function. Thanks for enlightening me.
I now feel comfortable attempting rooting.
This board is great !