Upgrading My Tablet OS

kirrinjones

May 2, 2012
Hello Forum,

I would like to ask a few questions as I am new to the Andriod/Tablet arena.

I was of the opinion that the installing/upgrading of the Andriod OS was a similar process to the installing/upgrading process of the Windows and Mac OSes. However, so far my reading has shown that to not be the case, or if it is, then its not as straightforward. Nonetheless, I have the following questions:

1. Is the Andriod OS and subsequent updates something that can be downloaded from website as an installation file, and if so where can I download it?
  2. Is there a generic base Andriod code that can be installed on any device that meets the requirements of that OS, or does every manufacturer have a different code base and therefore only their version of Android OS can work on their devices?

I believe that those questions are the root questions that should clear up any other questions I may still have.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
No os firmware is model specific & as such each model has its own method of upgrading tho' many are similar. It usually requires d/loading update to pc, unziepping files & extracting to tablet via usb cables or sd card. There may be other ways but this is what I see mostly.

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet