USB Barcode Scanner (Symbol)

HurtDP

Jun 28, 2011
I am trying to use a USB Symbol barcode scanner with an ACer Iconis A500. When I plug the scanner in it beeps as expected and functions well, decoding barcodes and entering the information into where ever the cursor sits .... so good so far.

The downside is that the virtual keyboard is now disabled so I can not enter any other information.

I have tried a number of scanner apps - ZXing, Barcode Keyboard and they work OK but I really need to power and quality of a dedicated scanner (eventually ditching the USB for bluetooth)

Any ideas?

tankueray

Jun 28, 2011
It works by emulating a keyboard, so you can't have both at the same time. You might be able to use a bluetooth keyboard with it, or a USB keyboard if the scanner is using BT. Unless there's an app that addresses that, you'll probably have to scan everything then unplug and enter additional text later. It would be awesome to get everything working together... somewhere along the lines of the iPad version of the Square app (with CC reader) plus a barcode scanner and keyboard input for additional info as a POS device. A lot of simultaneous functions and peripherals though, we'd probably have to pay dearly for such an animal.

HurtDP

Jun 28, 2011
Upgraded OS seems to give partial fix. Now with scanner connected get option to move between external and internal keyboards.

Not elegant but it works

bobbell

Feb 26, 2015
I am a rdlc barcode developer,recently i am testing usb barcode scanners.
I'm trying to scan some barcode to textfield contained in my browser but it opens the downloads page in any browser (chrome, firefox, ie). I'm guessing that there is some input equivalent to CTRL + J that triggers the browser to open the download page.

Is anyone ran into this problem? Is there a way to pass it (assuming that I my clients can't change their scanner configuration neither the browser configuration)?

Thanks.

Last edited: