USB Cable on Windows 7 & Wifi transfer app

gsuemnic

Apr 25, 2012
I recently purchased a used Motorola Xoom 4G, yesterday it upgraded itself to ICS 4.04. Everything else is stock.

My issues
1) When I attempt to connect the Motorola USB cable to my Windows 7 laptop , I see “usb device not recognized".
I’ve downloaded/installed the Motorola Device Manager 2.2.17., tired the USB debug mode, etc. Can’t get it to work

2) I cant seem to find a Wifi /ftp Android app that can see the data on my SD Card. All the apps seem to think the main 32 gig of memory is an SD card?

The total command app lists my SD card as SD- Card (2), mnt/external1.
The main 32 gig is shown as mnt/sdcard ?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
2) I cant seem to find a Wifi /ftp Android app that can see the data on my SD Card. All the apps seem to think the main 32 gig of memory is an SD card?

That's because your internal memory IS an sdcard. Anything that will display external would be the external not the internal storage. Does that help some?

ttweed

May 12, 2012
I have a Xoom WiFi (not the 4G model) running ICS 4.04, and it has no problem connecting by USB with my WIn 7 64-bit laptop using the Motorola device manager software USB drivers. As you say, the internal memory shows up as the mnt/sdcard directory, and the external SD card shows as mnt/external1 in the file manager I use (ES File Explorer). When connected, the Xoom shows up as a Portable Media device named "Xoom" in the Windows device manager, with those two directories shown as disk drives within it. If Windows does not recognize the device, something is wrong with your installation of the USB drivers, perhaps?

I have also used the "Wifi File Explorer" app to make the Xoom act as a web server and log into it through a browser with my PC on the same wireless network to transfer files between them successfully. However, I have had trouble getting that app to copy files from the PC to the SD card, it returns a "server i/o error" message. It will copy files to the internal memory just fine, though. Might be a network or firewall problem I haven't figured out yet, as it seems to work well for others as an FTP solution.

Good luck with your tablet, and ask Motorola for support if you continue to have problems. It really should work OK, and there are a lot of resources available to solve your problem.
TT