USB Host - Tablets

hammonjj

Mar 24, 2011
Are there any tablets out there that can play as USB host that you *do not* have to root?

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I own a Garmin Edge 500 and I hate taking my laptop to stage races (I race for an elite cycling team). What I want to do is, after a race, plug my Garmin (via USB) to my tablet and be able to pull the data off of the unit.

The Edge 500 mounts like an external drive with only 50mb of storage (or there abouts)

Thanks in advance!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Last edited:

hammonjj

Mar 24, 2011
Money isn't really an issue for me, so I don't care what device it is as long as it's reliable and reasonably prices.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Netbooks are more reliable than Android tablets right now. If money is no object, and I must get a tablet, I'd get the HP Slate to be safe.

USB hosting on Android is not straightforward at the moment. It either involves workarounds, or the device is not that reliable for professional purposes.

The Coby MID7015 would be okay IF the Garmin works on it. You would transfer data from the Garmin to a SD memory card through the tablet. All you need is a file manager app, and knowledge of how to navigate the file system there. Pick up a Coby or Craig locally and see if the Garmin can be used as a mass storage device off it. You will have to try it to see if it will work. I personally prefer the Coby over the Craig.