USB Modem on Asus TF201 running ICS

Brickhill

Feb 10, 2012
Apologies if the subject has come up elsewhere. Very new to this, as I have just been given a TF201 that upgraded itself to ICS when I first switched it on, and then I was hoping to find out how to connect to mobile internet with it. I have a Huawei E1750 USB dongle, which in the past I used to connect my Windows laptop via the cellular network to the internet when out and about. Where do I go to under Android ICS to introduce the various parameters that will allow me to hook up to mobile internet? Nothing appears obvious after it connected to my home system. Should I force it into a new wifi setup by shutting down my home hub? I have tried plugging the dongle in to the USB port on the docking station, but I don't know if it's being recognised or what. Any pointers/ideas/info would be most gratefully received. Many thanks.

Brickhill

Feb 10, 2012
Many thanks for the pointer, but I'm now even more confused. Seem to remember that when I first started the tablet under Honeycomb, I was offered the option of configuring for a mobile network -this now seems to have disppeared under ICS. Is there a simple one-liner solution, please!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Settings->Wi-Fi

You should see a list of WiFi networks available. To add one that is not there (like prepping for adding a modem), look in the upper right corner of the screen. That is where they moved the choices for Add and Advanced.

Brickhill

Feb 10, 2012
With the Huawei plugged in to the USB port, the only wifi network showing is still just my home one. Should the USB modem be recognised somewhere in the settings, and should I be getting some indication somewhere that it is picking up a cellular signal to connect to? Presumably I need to set up the wcdma details, APN etc., but I can't see where. The dongle is indicating that it's receiving a mobile signal when it's plugged in, but beyond that I'm lost!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I am going to refer you back to the original XDA thread. I beleive that all the necessary drivers are installed already, but you do need the chatscript to get it working. I know that they have gotten an E398 from Hauwei working, and there are devs there that will help you with custominzing the script to get your modem to dial out.

There is no "one-line" fix for this that I am aware of otherwise.

Brickhill

Feb 10, 2012
Thank you for your reply. I have followed the thread you indicated, but I am completely out of my depth. At the moment, until I am far more familiar with the Android system, I think I'll just have to forget it, or look for some other solution that I can follow step by step instructions. I hope I don't regret venturing into this market, but I will battle on and can't resist the challenge! Kind regards.

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Thank you for your reply. I have followed the thread you indicated, but I am completely out of my depth. At the moment, until I am far more familiar with the Android system, I think I'll just have to forget it, or look for some other solution that I can follow step by step instructions. I hope I don't regret venturing into this market, but I will battle on and can't resist the challenge! Kind regards.

Hi Brickhill,

There is a fairly easy Guide to setup 3G modems with Android 4 ICS here: How to setup your 3G modem

Hope this helps.

Brickhill

Feb 10, 2012
Thank you, Tanzanite, this is just what I was looking for and at first I was thinking, bingo! Followed the first screen fine, selecting the option of <<More>>, and then hit my problem. I am seeing the list of Airplane Mode, followed by VPN, but then, instead of Mobile Networks I am getting <<Tethering & Portable Hotspot>> - no mention of mobile at all. Is this a feature of my version of Android, which is 4.0.3, or have I not enabled something (like the USB port), which would then cause the mobile networks option to appear? Any ideas, please!

SmartAssPhone

Feb 13, 2012
Thank you, Tanzanite, this is just what I was looking for and at first I was thinking, bingo! Followed the first screen fine, selecting the option of <<More>>, and then hit my problem. I am seeing the list of Airplane Mode, followed by VPN, but then, instead of Mobile Networks I am getting <<Tethering & Portable Hotspot>> - no mention of mobile at all. Is this a feature of my version of Android, which is 4.0.3, or have I not enabled something (like the USB port), which would then cause the mobile networks option to appear? Any ideas, please!

Brickhill,

Come on, you need to take the initiative and start researching your answers. People do not subscribe to the forums to provide a "step by step" support session for you. Several members have given you links to information. While I agree that the XDA-Developers information can be quite daunting in its depth, the step by step plan at the other link was quite good, even if it didn't get you all the way there. By combining what you learn at each site, you should make steady progress, even if it's above what your current skills are. You shouldn't expect an answer to be provided everytime you get an unexpected result, or get stuck. If you do your homework, you will probably find out that something more needs to be done to get the USB driven mobile modem working. For example, did you delve into the tethering menu? It may be specifically for tethering to a phone. If you have one that's capable of providing hotspot services, that might be a good alternative. If not, you might try a friends or family members phone.

Edit: Actually, I went to my tablet, an Asus Transformer Prime, out of curiosity, and when I saw the same 3 choices you had, I SELECTED <<Tethering & Portable Hotspot>>, and the very first item on THAT menu was "USB Tethering" which, in my case, showed USB Not connected. I would bet on YOURS it would show the modem... Initiative man... use initiative.

It's all about the learning process. Sorry to get on your case; it just bugs me when you say "will battle on and can't resist the challenge" but then expect people to give you step by step. The challenge is in the research.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Last edited:

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012

Hopefully SmartAss' (and I don't mean this disrespectful) reply solved your problem. I am using ICS 4.0.1 and have the Mobile Networks option so it is most likely a tablet specific issue.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
@SmartAssPhone,- I like you and i like your way of thinking but I've been there,my first Android Tablet. ..it can be very scary, one doesn't explore because is afraid to brake it! :) But when I first started asking questions here on the forum, there were members with a lot of patience ,I still don't know how they never seemed tired of my questions. I remember I use to sign my name, back then, to let them know i was a girl, hoping they would have mercy on me!:)
gloria

Samsung Galaxy Note

Brickhill

Feb 10, 2012
Sorry Smartass, I was mistakenly under the impression that one of the functions of this type of forum was to help people who were trying to find their way with such things as a new tablet and a new operating system. I will try to do better next time and not expect such patience as I've already received from other contributors. Clearly, some people have more time on their hands than others, and can spare that time to assist people like myself who are (maybe misguidedly) looking for a more instant or rapid solution. Thank you to those here who have shown patience with my questions and helped me towards a solution.

Feb 15, 2012
@SmartAss - I am in the same position as Brickhill and I am an experienced developer just not on the Linux/Android platform. I have spent the last 10 days researching this problem and I can tell you that the USB tethering option has nothing to do with this issue. I have followed the XDA developers guidelines and I still haven't been able to get an APN set up and stored (and I am rooted, superusered, etc etc). So for an inexperienced user this is a non-trivial exercise and I sympathise with Brickhill.

Incidentally I have plenty of incentive to get this working, but I guess you really meant 'show some initiative' in your post title. As an experienced forum user and the moderator of other forums, someone that came on after only two posts and let fly as you did is generally considered a troll!

update:
For the record, I now know that the modem is recognised by the Prime, and I can use a terminal emulator to talk to it. However there appears to be no installation of PPP on the Prime under 4.0.3. All the approaches to resolve this appear to be rebuilding the kernel, something I'm not keen on right now. However I have found an approach that appears to provide an alternative to PPP but I don't understand it yet. More research needed as I'm not one to install software blindly until I know why and how it works.

Last edited:

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
@SmartAss - I am in the same position as Brickhill and I am an experienced developer just not on the Linux/Android platform. I have spent the last 10 days researching this problem and I can tell you that the USB tethering option has nothing to do with this issue. I have followed the XDA developers guidelines and I still haven't been able to get an APN set up and stored (and I am rooted, superusered, etc etc). So for an inexperienced user this is a non-trivial exercise and I sympathise with Brickhill.

Incidentally I have plenty of incentive to get this working, but I guess you really meant 'show some initiative' in your post title. As an experienced forum user and the moderator of other forums, someone that came on after only two posts and let fly as you did is generally considered a troll!

update:
For the record, I now know that the modem is recognised by the Prime, and I can use a terminal emulator to talk to it. However there appears to be no installation of PPP on the Prime under 4.0.3. All the approaches to resolve this appear to be rebuilding the kernel, something I'm not keen on right now. However I have found an approach that appears to provide an alternative to PPP but I don't understand it yet. More research needed as I'm not one to install software blindly until I know why and how it works.

This topic has had 1200 hits in 5 days so it is clearly not only Brickhill who is having problems. I hope you will share the solution if you are able to resolve this Gordian Knot :rolleyes: