Usb port not recognizing external mouse or keyboard

jhaskins75

Mar 15, 2012
Previously I was able to connect a wireless mouse via the supplied usb adapter and it worked perfectly and I have the debug mode off and third party apps engaged but it now will not sense the mouse when I connect it to the usb port and the mouse does work, as I reconnected directly to my laptop, and if I connect my tablet straight to my computer via the usb port, it automatically brings up the want to connect uas storage message, so the tablet on board usb is working fine. Do you think it is the supplied mass storage cable that is the problem? I only used the cable one time and it is new out the box.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't think it has anything to do with the cable. I think there is a setting that got changed. Look through settings and see if you can find something that enable usb support or something similar. I'm not sure exactly what it will be called or where it is in settings since it is different for different devices and versions of Android. Posting information about what device you are using and which version of Android usually helps in this regard.

jhaskins75

Mar 15, 2012
I checked the settings folder and there is no listing to enable usb support and my os is the 2.3 version / 4g Kyros coby tablet 7" touch. I am inclined to believe that yes, it seems that it is a settings problem as I stated earlier in my original post that if I use the cable supplied to connect directly to my pc, the usb storage window appears, and this is making me believe that it might be the smaller mass storage cable. the only settings that are remotely near any description is the listed names: Nand Settings, SD Card Settings, and Scsi Settings and they relate to storage and in the development menu I have USB debugging unchecked as well as allow mock locations unchecked ( which I am not sure what a mock location is )

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It should actually be something like USB host mode and might be under developer options if your Coby has that. You might want to check around in the Coby Forum here to see if it is covered there.

jhaskins75

Mar 15, 2012
I do have the developer option but the usb host feature is not listed there, only debugging and engage mock location. I purchased two of these models and I will try the other short cable. If that fails, I will do as you suggest and look for other replies in another forum related to developers features

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Also, the tablet won't be able to power any usb devices. You have to make sure they are plugged into a powered usb hub and the tablet is also plugged into that.

jhaskins75

Mar 15, 2012
Clearly that is not the case with my model as in the instruction booklet it clearly shows and states that you can use both a usb mouse both hard connect and wireless and both keyboard and a flash drive and all you will need is the supplied cable ( Mass storage cable which has a female usb connection port and the male usb connector on the other end) and as earlier I did this during the early use of my tablet to show my friend how it worked, and it worked as instructed. Really baffling. I let my five year old daughter play with it as I have her favorite games / apps on it and maybe she accidentally altered a setting. I just plugged in the cable to her Mother's tablet, which is the same as mine, and the external mouse is working as it did on mine awhile back. I think maybe I should contact Coby technicians to see if they have a solution?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Each tablet is different, I guess you are ok then. Contacting support is probably a good idea.

jhaskins75

Mar 15, 2012
34slac0.png

jhaskins75

Mar 15, 2012
After consulting with a Coby factory technician, his advice was for me to do a factory reset which allows me to keep my media files, but lose my apps, so I did and still after doing this, no recognition of the mouse or keyboard. I went to Linux development page and read up on the usb host and compatibility of external devices, sense I once used Linux O S and knew some of their command prompts and found that most external devices must be compatible with their host open source kernel, So now I must find devices which are HID compliant as well as flash drives which are formatted to exfat. It seems the 2.3.3 version of android lacks many improvements and upgrades which are standard in the later versions starting with 2.3.4 and above. Now I must go shopping to see if I can find these devices which work with android.

jhaskins75

Mar 15, 2012
The strange thing with Google play is it starts to download, then stops, saying could not find a compatible phone, as though it will not accept android tablets, and I have an account with Google. And my Coby mis7012 seems to reject any Bluetooth application or it partially functions. I would be grateful to you if you know precisely what Bluetooth app to install or what compatible app which will work for these external devices. I have amazon store and appjar, as ablib just won't work on my tablet

jhaskins75

Mar 15, 2012
The strange thing with Google play is it starts to download, then stops, saying could not find a compatible phone, as though it will not accept android tablets, and I have an account with Google. And my Coby mis7012 seems to reject any Bluetooth application or it partially functions. I would be grateful to you if you know precisely what Bluetooth app to install or what compatible app which will work for these external devices. I have amazon store and appjar, as ablib just won't work on my tablet
( I meant MID7012 )