USB question about the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (TF101-B1)

DavidSKi

Mar 22, 2012
I am looking at a ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (TF101-B1) and though its doesnt have a direct usb port on the side of it... i see the charger is a usb cord with a wall adapter.

1) if i plug this usb directly into a pc/mac will it charge?
2) if i plug this into a pc/mac can i share files/sync?

Attachments

• $34-230-172-16.jpg
    $34-230-172-16.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 10,344

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
The transformer power cord is usb 3.0, so you must have a usb3.0 port on your computer to charge it.You can use a micro-sd (should be class 10 if you want to play movies off off of it) or bluetooth to transfer files to the computer. The transformer does not have an usb port, but the keyboard has 2. The keyboard also has a full size sd slot and an additional battey that extends the battery life to approx. 15 hours. In my opinion, the keyboard is an must have item. Besides being way easier to type anything than the screen, I use the usb port to connect my phone (charges the phone), to transfer files to/from the computer and phone, to connect to my camera and camcorder and my external hard drive. Speaking of the hard drive, I have converted my movie collection and stored them all on the external hard drive. The hard drive (My Passport) has 1tb of storage and plays movies without and problems. It's small enough to fit in my hand, and easily fits in my tablet case. I also put any files I want to use on my phone, pc or tablet so its stored in one place and I don't have to worry about syncing the files. I'm a writer, and I use all 3 devices sometimes when writing. I also buy all my movies online, which I then convert and can watch either on my phone or tablet. When home, I use the hmdi port on the transformer to connect to my tv so I can watch on the big screen.

Since you're new to the transformer, here's some other tips for you. Android does not support dvd players, but you can use the process above to watch any movies. I found this is much easier than dealinf with a dvd player and carrying around dvds. Android does not support printers yet, but you can use an app like printshare to print to any computer on your network.

The stock browser is not the best, and there are several options. Dolphin, Opera, Firefox Google Crome(beta) are just a few. A better launcher than the stock one is Go Launcher HD. Microsoft Office does not have an androud version, but there are several android that will work. Transformer comes with Polaris Office, but it is not the best. Better options include OfficeSuite, Documents to Go and Kingsoft(I use). Each of them have different strengths and you should look at all of them to see which one best matches your needs.

You will find many apps in the Google Play store. You may also want to look at Amazon's app store(freee app every day), Tablet Market, and tablified The folks that run this site also run transformerforums.com, another useful place for information.

I absolutely love my transformer, I I hope you enjoy yours!

DavidSKi

Mar 22, 2012
ok, can you answer my question though?

if i have a usb3 port, can i transfer files with the 40pin to usb3 cord?

Last edited:

DavidSKi

Mar 22, 2012
yea, i called newegg support and they said that the tf101 connects to usb 2 devices. score!

pcrs

Apr 13, 2012
I successfully connected a portable hard drive to the USB on the keyboard, but fail to connect my android phone in portable drive format. It surprises me that connecting 1 android device to another it is impossible to see the phone as a drive like with the portable harddisk. I wonder what will happen if I connect it to my future digital camera? Can I take the pictures from the camera to the tablet. The camera too will be some sort of drive.
Is this problem related to master/slave mode? Does anyone know?
I have the same problem when I stick in a usb stick. It does not show up anywhere that I can find. The microsd card DOES show up in /removable/microsd
But not the phone in drive mode and not the usb stick.

Last edited:

pcrs

Apr 13, 2012
I figured it out on the TF101 in settings/storage you have to click mount, apparently this is not auto mounting. I also had my android phone in usb debugging mode (settings,application/development/usb debugging). With a file manager app, you can now find it under /removable/usbdrive

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
If you plug the transformer cable to a usb 2.0 port on your computer, you can transfer files, but it will not charge. If you plug it into a usb 3.0 port, you can transfer files and it will charge. The brick that comes with the transformer is usb 3.0. If you want to extend the length of the transformer, it must be a usb 3.0 extention cable, a 2.0 cable will not work.

joseph.carty

Jun 14, 2012
"In my opinion, the keyboard is an must have item. Besides being way easier to type anything than the screen, I use the usb port to connect my phone (charges the phone), to transfer files to/from the computer and phone, to connect to my camera and camcorder and my external hard drive. Speaking of the hard drive, I have converted my movie collection and stored them all on the external hard drive."

jtsauburn,

Can you please tell me how you connected the camera and camcorder through your usb on the keyboard. I'm having trouble with this.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
"In my opinion, the keyboard is an must have item. Besides being way easier to type anything than the screen, I use the usb port to connect my phone (charges the phone), to transfer files to/from the computer and phone, to connect to my camera and camcorder and my external hard drive. Speaking of the hard drive, I have converted my movie collection and stored them all on the external hard drive."

jtsauburn,

Can you please tell me how you connected the camera and camcorder through your usb on the keyboard. I'm having trouble with this.

Welcome to the forum

Some, but not all, cameras as well as camcorders can be recognized by the TF. In fact, most cameras I have tried are seen fine by the TF. If nothing happens when you plug it into the USB port, try restarting your TF with it plugged in then look in the file manager to see if it shows up.