usb wireless keyboards

mccaber

Jul 16, 2011
I bought a microsoft wireless arc for my a500. When i plug or unplug the usb dongle the tablet bugs out a bit, but after a second its ok. The keyboard doesn't work though.The volume buttons work for some odd reason but nothing else. Tech support argued with me that it wasn't their problem before telling me to call back monday to friday for t2 support.

I was hoping someone here could help me before i return the keyboard. What are the requirements for keyboards to work, and are there drivers i can get? The arc keyboard doesn't come with drivers and works plug and play on pc.

Also any recommendations for keyboards? I want to use the tablet to take notes in university instead of my laptop.

mccaber

Jul 16, 2011
i shouldnt have to worry about spefic keyboards not working. other usb keyboards work but not this one. i think they should have some kind of answer s to which work and which dont. compatability isnt something manufacturers leave off thier concerns. anyway this isnt about tech support, even if he saw it my way in the end.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
i shouldnt have to worry about spefic keyboards not working. other usb keyboards work but not this one. i think they should have some kind of answer s to which work and which dont. compatability isnt something manufacturers leave off thier concerns. anyway this isnt about tech support, even if he saw it my way in the end.

I'm sorry, but you have the situation entirely backwards.

Throughout the history of computers it has ALWAYS been the responsibility of the accessory item to be compatible with the computer, and not the other way around. If many other keyboards work, but Microsoft's doesn't, that tells you something about Microsoft's keyboard.

What incentive does Microsoft have to make sure their keyboards work with anything other than Windows, or maybe Windows Phones? None what so ever. News flash: Microsoft is a huge foe of Android.
Which company has historically thumbed its nose at standards? Microsoft.
If microsoft won't follow the standard, and they won't supply Andorid profiles, then the problem lies with microsoft. Not Android.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011

The arc is not really a standard BT keyboard, if it was you would not need the dongle because your tablet aready has BT built in. In other words the keyboard would simply pair with your tablet. The arc is specifically designed to work with desktops that don't have BT functîonality.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The arc Isn't Bluetooth at all..
Its a wireless usb Keyboard. It is supposed to be just like a wired usb keyboard. But they don't follow the specs.

Bluetooth isnt involved here at all.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Its a wireless usb Keyboard. It is supposed to be just like a wired usb keyboard. But they don't follow the specs.

Bluetooth isnt involved here at all
And to set the record straight, Bluetooth Keyboards are a lot more nonstandard and finicky than usb. If you find one that works, hold on to it, but keep a spare usb one around for when the next set of drivers suddenly break compatibility for no reason at all.

mccaber

Jul 16, 2011
thanks for the derail. super helpfull.

thanks for the linkky aq. ill have to give dedicated android keyboards a better look.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011

Bluetooth isnt involved here at all.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011

Bluetooth isnt involved here at all
And to set the record straight, Bluetooth Keyboards are a lot more nonstandard and finicky than usb. If you find one that works, hold on to it, but keep a spare usb one around for when the next set of drivers suddenly break compatibility for no reason at all.

I think its pretty obvious to anybody that has spent time getting various BT devices to pair AND function optimaly (if at all) that finicky is an understatement.
Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I think its pretty obvious to anybody that has spent time getting various BT devices to pair AND function optimaly (if at all) that finicky is an understatement.Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum
I have two blue tooth devices, a rubber keyboard and a speaker system. Both pair and connect to both my iPad and Iconia without any hassle, so this is not at all obvious to me.

Jeffp25

Jul 16, 2011
The problem is that what you have is NOT a USB keyboard. You have to install a dongle, which has its own drivers, into the USB port and then that communicates with the non-USB keyboard via wireless (not Bluetooth). The issue is the lack of Android drivers for your dongle. You need to either use a Bluetooth keyboard or a true (cable-connect) USB keyboard.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Yes, it is a proprietary system and you most likely cant make it work.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum