Using Cell Phone WiFi Setting to Connect Tablet to Internet

biggyrat

Dec 10, 2012
In the last couple of weeks I have been trying to connect to the net using various phones. One was an I iPhone4, one was an iphone5, one was a Samsung Galaxy S3 and 3 of them were HTC phones, two of them android and one of them Windows based. We proceeded by turning on the phones WiFi setting. The iPhone4 said that I was connected but would not get me an ip address. The iPhone 5 would not connect. The Samsung and two of the HTC phones did the same as the iPhone4. Only the Windows based HTC got me fully connected to the internet. We tried using the hotspot setting on most of the phones, but none of them had that service activated. The only thing we did on the Windows phone was turn on the WiFi. Does anyone out there know what needs to be done to make this work? I would like to be able to get connected when I don't have access to a router.

biggyrat

Dec 10, 2012
I checked out your link and it says the device needs to be rooted. Mine is factory updated. Thanks for the info.

karma318

Dec 16, 2012
I checked out your link and it says the device needs to be rooted. Mine is factory updated. Thanks for the info.

My Droid Razr is also factory updated and I didnt want to have to root my phone. I found an app that works without having to root. It's called FoxFi. The free version link is here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&hl=en

The free version is fully functional but will disconnect after 30 minutes of use. You will then have to open the app and start it again. Give it a try and if you like it, you can buy the full version for unlimited use. Note that this works for Android phones, not apple. I hope this helps.

biggyrat

Dec 10, 2012
Thanks, i'll check it out. In the mean time, any other advice is welcome from you guys.