Video calls on the Vtab

gark

Aug 8, 2011
Has anyone had success making a video call? I've tried a few apps and there arn't many supported. The ones that have been installed don't seem to work with the front facing camera. .Anyone have a suggestions.

jad11

Aug 13, 2011
Hi, just bought myself a Vizio from Sams.. notice that you can't find Skype on the Android market place using Vizio own's Market place app. That's odd.

I tried to go there using the browser but the install option is grey out.

So, Skype is not allowed to work on Vizio tablet? I guess we have to use manual install from the web site that foganime has put up?

foganime

Aug 9, 2011
Some apps are disabled in the official Google Market until they add hardware acceleration or DRM copy-protection for this tablet.

foganime

Aug 9, 2011
I also tried and recommend GrooVe IP if you want to do some free Google Voice calling to the USA.
But if you have an Android phone, obviously run it on that instead.

foganime

Aug 9, 2011
Should be the full Skye app... if you have a compatible Android tablet or phone you can get the full .APK installer off of it.

I don't have any other Android device but others do and are nice enough to post these until we get a Market-approved version.

mcpaugh

Aug 18, 2011
I did this installation last night and tried the Skype test call. The call is placed but just rings and is never answered. I logged off and logged in as my Skype name on my PC and the test call worked. Any ideas?

foganime

Aug 9, 2011
To test my Skype install, I called 1 (800) 555-8355 toll-free.
The voice quality was very good, but the mic sensitivity was a bit too high and cannot be adjusted in the app.
I didn't actually call another Skype contact, but I assume they would work just as well.

GrooVe IP is a better choice for PSTN calling for me because the mic and speaker gain settings are adjustable.

gark

Aug 8, 2011
Returned my Vtab yesterday. To advertise Video Chat on the box and not have a supported app is a deal breaker for me. I talked to a few customer service reps at Vizio and they would not or could not recommend an app that supports video chat.

I had other issues as well that they could not help with; i.e. Why many popular apps such as Facebook were not supported, why moving apps to the SD card via the application manager were actually being moved to the internal 2GB of storage, or why there were no options to download directly to the SD card.

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
I installed Skype using foganime's method and it works fine on my vtab. I called my wife's Skype account on her Droid X2 and the call went through just fine. The clarity of the call wasn't superb, but I never use Skype much anyway.

I'd like to get video chat going though.

dornstar

Sep 3, 2011
Oovoo is now working. Was able to connect and video chat with my daughter no problem.

Only problem I'm having is that our camera seems to be zoomed in, so it's tough to get my entire head into the picture. Maybe one of the gurus on here can get that worked out. I didn't see any sort of a setting for it in the Oovoo app itself.

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
I've got oovoo going, but the image from my camera gives off a red hue. Not sure if it's from the lights not being bright enough the room. I'll try again tomorrow at work under florescent lighting.

Anyone else have that issue?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum