Virus? How do I tell?

Lillyth

Dec 18, 2011
Hi. My LG Esteem keeps randomly shutting off and then being tempermental in turning back on. it also is having connectivity. issues with my Bluetooth headset. I have to turn off my Bluetooth. on my phone then turn it back on again before I can make a call on my headset. My son thinks I may have a virus. How do I tell if that is the case? Also, is there any virus protection out there to prevent harm to my phone?

Thanks!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
There are a couple of apps you can try, in your case I would recommend getting Norton AVG from the market and let that do a scan.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Lillyth

Dec 18, 2011
I downloaded Norton, and it says I'm clean. So does the Antivirus Free. Any idea what might be causing the connectivity issues or the random turning off?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Any new apps you have installed? Did you change any settings? Is it running differently than previously, or has it always been like that?

cpt_noob

Dec 15, 2011
If you load too many apps at once, sometimes it will make the OS run kinda crappy. also, you may have too many apps loaded.

what i would suggest is to reload the ROM. Its very easy to do.... once you find it. sometimes they can be hard to find.

normally you can just copy the zip files to your SD card and go fromt here. However, i can't find it for the esteem. i did find this, but it seems like a pain to get thru. good luck. you'll need it! :D

[GUIDE] How to restore Your LG Esteem tto Stock

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Before we get to reloading the ROM, there are still things to try, and questions to explore. And then before we get to that extreme a factory reset might be more than good enough.

cpt_noob

Dec 15, 2011
Before we get to reloading the ROM, there are still things to try, and questions to explore. And then before we get to that extreme a factory reset might be more than good enough.

personally, i find that if im going to reset the phone anyway, i may as well reinstall the rom. But, since the esteem appears that it can't use the normal SD card method to restore back to factory, your right, and a factory reset might be better.
i think you can access that menu by holding volume + and volume - ... and then hit the power button while you're holding the volume buttons.

hopefully it will load correctly.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Yes, which is why I haven't say to do that. did you see the questions I posted?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

Agreed, this is complete overkill at this point. Sure, it might solve the problem, but you don't shoot the cow because the milk went bad :) hopefully you can get straightened out before having to resort to that (which hopefully you won't have to).

pbrauer is on the right track. I'd look at new apps first and see if any of them are causing issues you can either freeze or uninstall recent apps and see if that makes a difference. You can see what apps might be system hogging in settings>applications.

Lillyth

Dec 18, 2011
Sorry about that. I was on my phone earlier and didn't get a chance to answer all those questions. The interface on my phone is pretty iffy on this site and I can't see what I am typing.

The phone is less than a month old. As for loading new apps on my phone, I have a ton, and it's been turning itself on and off for about a week or so now. I can't really point to any specific apps I downloaded since I downloaded a ton all at once.

I haven't changed any settings other than turning GPS off and changing the screen shut off time to one minute instead of 30 seconds. Now that I think about it, a few days after I got the phone, it would shut off the screen and then I was having trouble getting it to come back on. Then one of my son's friends suggested I change it to have a longer time before shutting off the screen, and that seemed to work. For a time.

As for the Bluetooth issue, that is fairly recent.

All that talk of reloading the ROM, and the links that were provided are all like Greek to me. I don't even know what a ROM is, let alone how to find it. I tried reading the stuff on that link page, but apparently I am completely technologically inept. I couldn't make sense of anything.

Thanks a bunch for all of your help, guys!

Oh, and I can't remember which apps are most recent. How do I find that info?

cpt_noob

Dec 15, 2011
Agreed, this is complete overkill at this point. Sure, it might solve the problem, but you don't shoot the cow because the milk went bad :) hopefully you can get straightened out before having to resort to that (which hopefully you won't have to).

pbrauer is on the right track. I'd look at new apps first and see if any of them are causing issues you can either freeze or uninstall recent apps and see if that makes a difference. You can see what apps might be system hogging in settings>applications.

yeah, maybe nuking it is overkill, but i've always found that its quicker to restore than to diagnose. I love the program android pc suite. it lets you backup your apks, contacts, messages, etc... and all of your save data is on the sd card, so its not affected by any radiation from the nuke

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Go to market.android.com, sign in there and you should be able to go to medals and see what you have installed, reverse the order removing apps and test each time.

See if that helps.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Lillyth

Dec 18, 2011
Hi. I tried going to the market to do as you said. I couldn't find medals. I tried on both my phone and my computer. I didn't see what you were talking about. I tried doing a search, and all I got was this page: https://market.android.com/search?q=medals

S
orry to be such a pain. I'm pretty new to all this. I really appreciate all your help!

Lillyth

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mar 30, 2011
I would get rid of the apps you hardly ever use first and see if that works. Get rid of any task killers, the anti virus apps, and memory managers as well. These slow down the system.