Vizio tablet with vizo folio case - $159.99

xphyle

Aug 27, 2010
WOOT.COM has the Vizio Tablet and new Folio Case for $159.99. Today only!

X

Last edited:

Martel

Nov 14, 2011
Remember it's a refurb, but still a decent price considering most "refurbs" are due to returns because it would do one thing someone wanted <like root>

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I missed the refurbished part. Still, considering it is $309 on Amazon without the case, it looks like a good deal. I do not know anything about Vizio, though.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

cyorke

Dec 15, 2011
SO who has actually received theirs? and what do you think about it so far? I dropped major hints to my wife that I wanted this and I am pretty sure She bought one and I will be receiving it for Christmas. Anything we should know when we first power it on?

Last edited:

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Sellout.Woot also has an Archos for that price today.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
SO who has actually received theirs? and what do you think about it so far? I dropped major hints to my wife that I wanted this and I am pretty sure She bought one and I will be receiving it for Christmas. Anything we should know when we first power it on?

I got my woot vizio a couple of days ago. I figured if nothing else it would make a cool remote. Seems like a nice tablet though I haven't played much beyond the basics. It seems to run fast, has a nice screen and the remote setup was easy and worked well for the couple of devices I tried. The 1.5 update pop-up is super annoying. The speakers put out really good sound. Probably better than or at least as good as any other tablet out right now.

Out of the box it definitely has the iPad feel Vizio was going for. The menu skinning is nice and has more of a honeycomb look and feel. The icons (and all text for that matter) seem huge compared to my Nook Color. The battery life seems to struggle a bit compared to the Nook running CM7 RC1. It seems to run as fast as the Nook but when I ran Quadrant on each to compare, the Vizio only hit around 1225 while the Nook hit about 1750 OC'd to 925MHz. It is also way heavier than the Nook.

So now the dilemma is whether the Vizio is going to be a gift or not. I also scored another Nook Color on a 1 day sale for $120 as a gift. For the $40 they are pretty comparable but different devices. Do I give the larger screen, larger icon, simple home launcher or the CM7 completely customizable soon to have ICS, light weight, power sipping Nook? This is going to be a first tablet and really first Android/smart phone device for the user who is in his 60's and whose wife has the iPad 2. The Vizio is pretty similar to the iPad experience which is both an advantage and a draw back.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I personally would keep the Vizio tablet but thats because i love the IR blaster and the front facing camera and also the hdmi out. But knowing it doesnt have a huge dev community behind it is a draw back for sure. As for your questions I say give the Vizio to the person as a Christmas present and keep the nook color. It will be easier for them to learn and they wont care about hacking it or installing custom roms.

And just an fyi if you havent updated when it asks you to, you might still be able to root it with superoneclick and the zergrush method.

cyorke

Dec 15, 2011
And just an fyi if you havent updated when it asks you to, you might still be able to root it with superoneclick and the zergrush method.

yeah I plan on holding off on the update so I can attempt to root it first. I have been looking through the root threads here and on XDA and it seems like it is not that bad a process. Not as easy as my old Samsung Transform but easy enough. Now I just need to root my EVO Shift to get tethering.

will be lots of rooting going on in the next few days I guess.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the input. I plan on rooting if I keep it. Probably not as important if it is a gift. The Nook Color gift already has CM7 along with popular apps like Kindle, Google Books, B&N, Amazon Market, Netflix, etc. so I don't expect the user to know the difference or have to tinker with the Nook at all. Same with the Vizio, easy to see and easy to use which is the biggest reason it is even being considered as an alternative gift.

The Vizio is a nice tablet and not having quite enough time to play with it is making it hard to choose. Especially because of the features it has the Nook doesn't. Already have a couple of Nook Colors but I'm sure I can find a use for another one :)

jellybean

Aug 8, 2011
Got it on the Woot.com deal and my kids have been using the tablet for about 2 weeks. It's a good value for $159 versus $599 for my wife's Sony S-tablet or $399 for my Asus Transformer. But there are definitely tradeoffs for this "value" tablet. Right away you notice how heavy it is even versus the bigger 10in tablets. But even though it's a refurb, ours came without any dead pixels or scratches on the glass. Was able to load app launcher pro on it so it now has multiple home screens that can be switched with just a swipe, which is nice. Connects to our home WiFi just fine and web pages load pretty quickly using Dolphin Browser HD. Got games like "Angry Birds", "Fruit Ninja HD", and "Dabble" to run on it. But I couldn't get "Sentinel 3" or "Where's My Water" to run, I'm guessing it's because it's only a single core processor.

So for less than a 1/3 of what I paid for our Sony tablet, I think it was a good deal. My kids can surf the net, play YouTube, and play many of the popular games. I like that it has the true Android market and Amazon app store runs fine too. But it's thicker and heavier than comparable tablets. Also the battery life is just fair at 4-5hrs versus 7-8hrs on our other tablets. But the main disadvantage is that not all apps will run on it.

I'm happy overall with our Vtab, but if I had to do it again, I might have opted to pay $40 more for the Kindle Fire. I know I would have a smaller screen and it's modified Android OS has trouble running other App Launchers (like Launcher Pro), but at least I know it would run more apps and my daughter wouldn't have to keep taking my tablet just to play "Where's My Water"...lol

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It is a good thing you didn't get the Fire, it is not a more capable tab than vtab. It has a smaller screen, no camera, no IR blaster, no bluetooth, no gps, no sd card, no volume buttons and worse speakers, a worse UI that is even more locked down than the vtab out of the box. You would have paid $40 more plus the price of a premium case for that?

Edit: I also don't see anything about the app requiring a dual core processor in the app store info (only requirement is Android 2.1 and up) and as far as I know apps are not allowed to make such requirements though I am looking into this.

Last edited: