Vizio Update Service

bill2

Nov 17, 2011
Hi, new member to the site. I'd like to thank all the members of this site who have figured out how to root the vtab and change the sd card configuration.

I haven't had the chance to root my vtab yet but was wondering if anyone who's rooted has tried to freeze the Vizio Update Service. It appears to constantly run in the background.

Last edited:

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
I did freeze it (using Titanium Backup Pro) and it now does not appear under Settings --> About Device. Nice.:D

bill2

Nov 17, 2011
rprr - thanks for the update. Any chance you also froze the Dialer service?

I'm just looking at all of the extraneous stuff that we can kill.

BPisMe

Nov 16, 2011
Be careful freezing the Update Service. I bricked my first VTAB doing it. I used a program other than Titanium Backup to freeze it. This time I spent the 6 bucks on Titanium Backup and froze it with no issue. If there is a free way to stop it then that would be great. I'm glad others have had success.

Brad

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Be careful freezing the Update Service. I bricked my first VTAB doing it. I used a program other than Titanium Backup to freeze it. This time I spent the 6 bucks on Titanium Backup and froze it with no issue. If there is a free way to stop it then that would be great. I'm glad others have had success.

Brad
Going to get tb to stop the update. Could you share with us all what app you used when you tried freezing and bricked your tablet. Thanks

BPisMe

Nov 16, 2011
I would be happy to share that info but I don't remember. It was a couple of days between installing the software and the problem happening. It was the first reboot after freezing. At that point I couldn't check. I do remember thinking that it was nice that I found a free program to freeze the service. Apparently, there is more than one way to "Freeze" I don't really know, from a technical standpoint, what freezing does. I just know that it prevents the program from doing it's job...not sure how. Maybe someone else has a better explanation.

I do see that others have found a free way to do it. I was gun shy this time and went with what I felt was most recommended.

Brad

Edit: I found it. It was AntTek App Manager. DON"T Use it to Freeze the Update Service! It will Brick your VTAB.

Last edited:

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Thanks for the heads up. Will be trying titanium back up later today.

Edit: I just got titanium backup pro. So I take you just find the one that says vizio update and freeze that one? Thanks

Last edited:

sdspieg

Sep 11, 2011
But Titanium Backup only works with root? Is there any way to safely freeze the updating service for those of us who got unrooted after the latest update?