Vizio VTAB and Micro USB Host Adapter

hwood

Nov 17, 2011
Has anyone tried a micro usb host adapter (I believe it is mainly a micro usb plug on a short dongle with a female usb connector on the other end) on the VTAB? I know there are a few tablets that you can use them to attach other devices (usb thumb drives, cameras, usb hard drives) to gain direct access to data on those devices.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
No - haven't tried one, but I'll bet that the VTAB does not support usb host mode. They would have listed that as a feature.

bill2

Nov 17, 2011
I believe usb host mode was part of honeycomb. Since the vtab currently has gingerbread, I'd wager it's not supported.

kw18

Apr 2, 2012
Has anyone tried connecting a usb host adapter since the honeycomb update? I contacted Vizio tech support and they claimed it would not work (though, I did not bring up the honeycomb update). I think I am going to get an adapter cable and try it. I really want to be able to download pictures from my camera directly to the tablet without hooking up to a computer.

lesterF

Mar 9, 2012
I tried one and it did not work (on Honeycomb). I purchased a micro USB male to USB female adapter and tried connecting a thumb drive and my camera to the VTAB and it did not recognize them at all. Strangely, when I plug in the cord for the first time, the screen becomes mirrored.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Has anyone tried connecting a usb host adapter since the honeycomb update? I contacted Vizio tech support and they claimed it would not work (though, I did not bring up the honeycomb update). I think I am going to get an adapter cable and try it. I really want to be able to download pictures from my camera directly to the tablet without hooking up to a computer.

Can you use a micro SD in both? I have done this and it works fine. Pop out of camera, into tablet and review photos.

kw18

Apr 2, 2012
Can you use a micro SD in both? I have done this and it works fine. Pop out of camera, into tablet and review photos.

The issue is that I only have standard SD cards for my cameras. I am hoping to attach a USB SD card reader to the micro USB on the tablet and download.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The issue is that I only have standard SD cards for my cameras. I am hoping to attach a USB SD card reader to the micro USB on the tablet and download.

Me too. Simply use a micro SD to SD adapter and the camera thinks it has a fill size SD. Then pop out the adapter and remove the micro SD and slip that into the tablet. Works very well. Much easier to view pics and videos on the tablet :)

nickgupta33

Mar 21, 2012
I tried one and it did not work (on Honeycomb). I purchased a micro USB male to USB female adapter and tried connecting a thumb drive and my camera to the VTAB and it did not recognize them at all. Strangely, when I plug in the cord for the first time, the screen becomes mirrored.

true...even i tried to connect it using the converter. but the screen seems "mirrored!!! " sad!!!

kw18

Apr 2, 2012
Well, I bought a cheap micro usb to usb cable. Sadly, it did not work. After the fact, I found this website: USB Host Diagnostics They have a database of device's USB capabilities, which verified that the VTAB does not have USB host or OTG. Bummer.

Another option I found is a microsd to sd adaptor (not the typical sd to microsd adapter that most microsd cards come with that lets the microsd be used in a standard sd slot). I found a few on the web; all of which looked a bit home made. Maybe I will get one to try.

lesterF

Mar 9, 2012
kw18, can you explain the other option that you found and how it is different from typical adapters? Do you have any links?

lesterF

Mar 9, 2012
Another thought: Perhaps a problem is that the Vtab does not supply power when peripherals are attached to the micro-usb port. I was poking around the web and found a thread which lists using a powered usb-hub or a usb y-cable (with one end plugged into the tablet's charger) as a way of powering the external device. Not sure if this will make any difference. I did try connecting my camera directly to the Vtab since the camera is powered, but the Vtab still did not detect it.