"Waiting for location" message on a lot of apps

TTTony

Apr 19, 2011
Hi guys. New owner. Second post. I've flashed to TnT 4.2 and I have Flash and all the market fixes, but I have a few problems. It seems like a LOT of apps don't work properly. For instance, Navigate gives a "Waiting for location" message forever. Places does the same thing. Apps like Tap Fish say they can't connect to the internet, yet I can browse the web all day long. GasBuddy gets a "server error".

Any ideas what could be causing this? Am I just being ignorant to the fact that many apps just don't work? It makes me reluctant to ever pay for an app.

Call me a fool. Do what you have to, but help me understand what I'm missing here. Was I expecting too much from this thing? Thanks all!

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Some of the apps you named require a 3g connection, is my understanding. There may be a workaround but I'm not aware of one. Sometimes if you get the message that Internet is not connected you can back out of the app and reopen it. This has worked for me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

TTTony

Apr 19, 2011
Wow! You confirmed my fears. That's a real disappointment. I don't suppose anyone has a comprehensive list of what works and what doesn't. Does that kind of thing vary by ROM then?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
The new CM7 ROM supports WiFi based locations. I am actually getting very accurate locations from that, and have tested the Google apps, as well as Starbucks.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Not familiar with your ROM but check and see if there is a "location and security" menu under settings.. if so there should be an option for "use wireless networks".... when this is selected it will either take location from 3g(which we don't have) or wifi router IP... it'll at least get you to your general area...

I know Vegan and Cy-Mod-7 have it...

-> pbrauer .....LOL .. looks like we were posting generaly the same thing... i was right behind you man.

Last edited:

TTTony

Apr 19, 2011
TnT Lite 4.2....drat, it's not there. Now that you mention it, I know what you are talking about because I remember seeing it on my stock install. So now I have to flash to Vegan or CM7 it sounds like. DOH!

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
I came off of vegan to CM7... HIGHLY recomended..... IMO it's the best rom for this tab to date... not sure as to the functionality with the dock, pbrauer has one i know and has used CM7.. he may be able to provide insight....

TTTony

Apr 19, 2011
Is CM7 based on the 1.1 or the 1.2 firmware? I don't want to brick anything.

TTTony

Apr 19, 2011
I'll probably give that a go then. Hopefully that will enable some of these GPS based apps to at least give me something.