Wake up, and freeze?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
All you folks seeing this please enter a trouble ticket on Acer's web site.
And don't accept any advice to reset to factory.

Kasper

May 24, 2011
Like wise. I have had several lock ups. Always seems to be after I have left it for a few hours and it has gone into sleep mode. Either won't power on or screen won't unlock.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Talked to Level Two support about this, and apparently they know about it.

He suggested that for long periods on the charger (like over night) to power down first, then plug in the charger.
Next morning you have to power up, but he says instances of lock up are very rare when you do it that way.

hurricansteve

Jun 20, 2012
Talked to Level Two support about this, and apparently they know about it.

He suggested that for long periods on the charger (like over night) to power down first, then plug in the charger.
Next morning you have to power up, but he says instances of lock up are very rare when you do it that way.

i bought my tablet and never had a problem with it (i have the 32gb one), so i bought one for my wife(a 16bg one). she always has a problem with it freezing up when she turns it on. i still have no problems with mine. could it be that there is something wrong with the 16g tablets?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I have always turned the A500 OFF. Since I received a docking station I leave it plugged in but only I can put the tablet into power save mode - using remote control that came with the docking station. I've set the A500 to stay ON when plugged in. At night I turn it OFF completely.

I've never had a problem and the other 2 devices in the household are working fine. But you'll noticed that this problem relates to 3.0.1 and the problem appears not to have surfaced after 3.1 update.

The freezing problem today is something to do with the boot loader running through its startup sequence too quickly before the MPU sensors have had time to go through their initialization stage - causing the screen locker/rotation error. The idea is to load another boot loader/launcher. The one I've got works fine. I received it in the OTA update to ICS. Many received a second boot loader update after the first boot into ICS and this is where the problem lays.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
I see at least three distinctly separate issues discussed in this thread as if they are one and the same. I do not believe that is the case. These all appear to be different issues, though the hang-while-sleeping and freeze-shortly-after-waking may have similar causes in some cases, and different causes in others. I suspect that most of the earlier posters and especially the original poster already resolved the problems they were seeing. My post is mostly for the benefit of hurricansteve, and other folks who may wander by and see this when having a problem...

1.) The very first post and a few others refer to a problem where the tablet freezes after being woke up from sleep ( freeze-shortly-after-waking) . That appears to be a problem with some app or widget. Possibly not all the same app. It could have also been the result of corruption relative to updating and assuming (incorrectly) that certain apps would not have to be removed and reinstalled after the firmware update. I and many others just elected to use the Factory data reset to clear all app issues and that was generally effective for many.

2.) Some of the posts refer to another problem that occurs for some while the tablet is in sleep mode (hang-while-sleeping) . In this case, the tablet hangs while sleeping and will not wake and return control to the user. For this problem, the tablet never responds to the user at all, until users force the tablet to power down by holding the power button for 5 seconds, and the restart. This is different than the problem above, because for that problem, the tablet wakes up, starts to respond, and then some app or widget becomes active and promptly locks up the device. I provided some guidance for another user on this particular problem here (post #9): http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...a500-keeps-turning-itself-off.html#post219254.

3.) The third refers to the screen rotation problem that some are seeing. Douvie's post (immediately above) concisely describes one of the workarounds for that. (Though I have never heard of or seen this particular problem cause any freezing or hanging.) Here is a slightly less concise explanation: The motion sensor initialization problem is caused by a race condition in the boot sequence, where the device power-up timing appears to lag the boot sequence a little too long on some devices. The bootloader is not the only possible source of the problem, but changing it has served as a workaround for some. A few users have had some success in mitigating the issue by using an HC bootloader with ICS ROMs. This apparently inserts a few more milliseconds into the kernel boot sequence prior to sensor init, which gives the sensors enough time to complete power up prior to first access by the kernel. I've got kernel debug data showing this effect. The problem does not occur with the stock HC bootloader and 3.2.1 ROM. It only occurs on some tablets. It does not cause freezing or hangs as I guessed over a month ago before digging into the problem. It does cause some sluggishness, and prevents use of the motion sensors. It is easy to prove whether or not a tablet has encountered this by simply unlocking the screen rotation lock switch, observing that the sensors are not working (no auto rotate), and then using aLogcat or some other method to view the systems logs. When this condition is active, you can see MLUpdateData error (code 26) messages streaming into the log at the rate of 20 per second.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Number 2 isn't unique to the A500 though its causes might be. This happens across many Android devices and versions of Android. For obvious reasons it is called the Sleep of Death (SOD). A search for Sleep of Death or SOD will return many hits with possible solutions. One of the most common seems to be to go to Settings and set wifi to always on.