Welcome to the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
Just wanted to create a new section for the newly created Amazon Kindle Fire... an exciting (and cheap) Android-ish tablet from Amazon. We know it runs Android under it, but it's a customized version.

Thoughts?

cord1

Jun 7, 2011
I ordered one this morning when it appeared on Amazon. It will compliment my HP Touchpad and my old iPad I. I have wanted a 7" tablet to carry inside my parka during the winter and this looks to be ideal. I would have liked a little longer battery life on WiFi but the wall wart appears to be compact. Shipping is around Nov 15th...

PhxAzBadAss

Aug 18, 2011
Is it android 3.1 and can you get apps from the android market or just the Amazon app store???

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

D

dvdcatalyst

Got one on pre-order :)

If it is anywhere close to a NOOKcolor, it will be great. Since I'm already "Prime" , combined with Amazon's cloud-stuff I'm sure it will be a killer.

Sep 30, 2011
Hi all, first post!

Looking forward to the Kindle Fire, although my background is predominantly in Apple hardware at a $200 price point even I'm tempted. Anyone know if it uses a capacitive or resistive touchscreen? Was doing some research and I couldn't track that particular bit of info down.

Lectruck

Apr 23, 2011
Amazon said you could side load other apps, so you can get other E-readers to read your epubs, or get Caliber to translate them like I do to other formats that can be used.

Thanks,

Don

mrbean1957

Mar 28, 2011
I wonder if one of those cases with the built in keyboard will work for it? My GF pre-ordered one, and really likes that keyboard case... Any thoughts on this?

salturky01

Nov 12, 2011
Yes, I love its price.
It is Capacitance screen.

Hi all, first post!

Looking forward to the Kindle Fire case, although my background is predominantly in Apple hardware at a $200 price point even I'm tempted. Anyone know if it uses a capacitive or resistive touchscreen? Was doing some research and I couldn't track that particular bit of info down.

ipadaltkc

Nov 20, 2011
For all the features this device includes I would say this kindle tablet fire is worth every penny you are paying. Does anyone know what the total internal storage is that the kindle comes with as far as space?

totouch

Jan 11, 2011
8gb... 6gb for user content iirc

For all the features this device includes I would say this kindle tablet fire is worth every penny you are paying. Does anyone know what the total internal storage is that the kindle comes with as far as space?

ipadaltkc

Nov 20, 2011
For the price of the kindle tablet fire I think it is a great deal. I still like the i-pad much better because your not restricted to a certain amount of apps but if you are on the road a lot and love watching movies and reading, the kindle will satisfy customers in that area of movies and reading.

ipadaltkc

Nov 20, 2011
Speaking of 3rd party apps and what you can do as far as modifying the tablets. Has anyone heard if you can integrate the I-pad or Tablet Fire with your TV? Another words can you use it kind of like a TV controller so to speak…I know you can do some programming with these devices I just don't know what the limitations are and would like to know before buying one.

Bolsa

Dec 7, 2011
Is it android 3.1 and can you get apps from the android market or just the Amazon app store???

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

From http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/kindle-fire/26478-7-reasons-kindle-fire-better-than-ipad.html :
The single biggest reason you might not want to buy a new Kindle Fire is because it’s most likely going to be running the old 2.1 Eclair version of Android. For those keeping track, that’s actually ten revs behind the current tablet Android release, 3.2 Honeycomb. There was 2.2 Froyo, 2.3 Gingerbread, 2.3.3, 2.3.4, 2.3.5, 2.3.6, 2.3.7, 3.0 Honeycomb, 3.1, and, finally, 3.2.
All indications are that Amazon has customized their version of Android, but still, that means you’re essentially running something almost two years out of date.

12 reasons you might NOT want to buy a Kindle Fire | ZDNet

Last edited: