What do you mostly use your nc for....

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
....and do you use it for what you planned to do with it before buying it?
I personally planned to use if for reading, and some light internet surfing.but I cannot really say I did much reading since I got it! The rooting took me in other directions, I'm having a lot of fun checking all they apps available on the market and I use it a lot because is sooo easy to carry everywhere .
I still use my mail and this site as on my pc, not in app.form...it's to much fun to move the pages around with a touch, not a mouse anymore and the screen is big enough to load regular website pages. It might sound crazy to have a droid and use as I do but I love to move the screen and everything else around with my fingers, to pinch and zoom and refresh and forward and bookmark with a gesture.

Last edited:

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I bought my NC to replace my old Dell Axim which was used primarily as a reader and for a few games. Then the whole rooting thing came to my attention and I realized how much more it can do. Now, I used it for just about everything I used to use my laptop and desktop for.

Here is a list of what I use most often:

Aldiko - Book reader
Dolphin Mini/HD - Web browser
Doubletwist - Internet radio
Touchdown - Corporate email
AIM - umm, it's AIM..
Facebook app - umm, it's Facebook..
ES File Explorer - File manager (that can scan a network and find shared folders.. This feature made me take the security of my home network a LOT more seriously)
Autodesk Sketchbook - Sketching software, so I can design products on the go
Wifi Analyzer - Gives you a visual graph of the relative strengths of the wireless networks around you. Great for when you want to find a good network to, umm, borrow while your wife is in the store shopping. Simply load this program and drive around the mall parking lot looking for the strongest signal.. It's good also because it tells you what channel the networks around your house are using. I found a bunch of people were using channels 1 and 6, so I moved mine and my signal improved. Handy!
Scanner Radio - Streaming police scanner
Yahoo Sports - Live scores of all my favorite teams, including reminders of game time.
Documents to Go - Covers all of my office needs.

So no, I'm not just using the NC for its original intended purpose.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
I use my NC a lot more than I ever expected.. I primarily bought to use as a ereader and had no idea it would become so much fun to use
I have had a lot of fun testing out apps.. such as the Guitar Solo Lite and of course some mild game play with the Angry Birds but I most often use it for The Nook book reader function is the best experience so far.. I tried Aldiko but it doesn't sync with my Droid.....

MAIL- K-9 Mail
Facebook
World Newspapers
Kindle
Live TV vis Sling with Dish network
Weather Bug
news sites i.e. Huffington Post, MSNBC, CNN and local TV stations sites both for my current home and my hometown up North
Overdrive- download of Library books and audio books.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Mostly for internet wherever I am (work, trips etc).
Also for photo browsing and playing games when bored.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I use my NC a lot more than I ever expected.. I primarily bought to use as a ereader and had no idea it would become so much fun to use
I have had a lot of fun testing out apps.. such as the Guitar Solo Lite and of course some mild game play with the Angry Birds but I most often use it for The Nook book reader function is the best experience so far.. I tried Aldiko but it doesn't sync with my Droid.....

MAIL- K-9 Mail
Facebook
World Newspapers
Kindle
Live TV vis Sling with Dish network
Weather Bug
news sites i.e. Huffington Post, MSNBC, CNN and local TV stations sites both for my current home and my hometown up North
Overdrive- download of Library books and audio books.
Just a tip because I don't know about the Droid but if you use Calibre, Dropbox, and Aldiko you can sync your eBook's folder across all three. News feeds get converted by Calibre and deposited in your eBooks folder in Dropbox, as do epub conversions etc. It can take a few minutes to set up but once you do, Bob's yer uncle, and all your "print" media will be available to you anywhere via Dropbox, on demand. If you don't have any of the above I can't recommend Calibre and Dropbox enough. I just discovered CoolReader and have been using that. I have yet to find an all in one reader app that formats my various, well formats, into a consistent reading experience. But so far the above combination is rather bullet-proof once you have it set up.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
ES File Explorer - File manager (that can scan a network and find shared folders.. This feature made me take the security of my home network a LOT more seriously)

So no, I'm not just using the NC for its original intended purpose.
Awesome Thanks. I might also suggest Samba Fileshare great for quick copies to your NC http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-color-sd-card-over-wifi.html?highlight=samba use these instructions to get a NookColor short-cut on your desktop/taskbar. Invaluable for Flashing re-installs and sideloading apks unavailable in the market.

And no I don't use mine much for it's intended use which is what I think makes this such an amazing device. \

Cheers,

LS

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I just discovered CoolReader and have been using that. I have yet to find an all in one reader app that formats my various, well formats, into a consistent reading experience. But so far the above combination is rather bullet-proof once you have it set up.

I love coolreader in conjunction with calibre...the slider brightness, tap to change page (and you don't have to swipe across the entire page to turn a page, like in fbreader, a simple flick will do), variety of background textures for day and night mode. I have tried them all, and like cool reader the best...Aldiko was cool to see all my cover art, but honestly, I don't spend much time at all actually looking at my little books on shelves...I read.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I am consistently astonished by Calibre. I was not aware of the news feed feature until recently. I strayed away from rss and I have to say if you are an adherent you cannot beat the subscription feature. You do have to fire up the application once or twice a day but after that all my feeds are converted and exported to my Dropbox. Awesome.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Well I use mine mainly to read books in the tub. :)

Seriously though the more the NC develops the less I find myself reading.
-one third of the time I use to trouble shoot people's problems on here.
-another third working on new stuff to either add or make the NC better.
-and last third either reading the news or on craigslist scoping out deals.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Thank you RaVenj, I found a couple of useful tips in your post
Gloria

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Mainly internet and email, then youtube and games and finally ocassionaly reading. Mostly the nook magazines which are identical to the physical subscribtions I haven't canceled yet. It's a pretty cool device. A little time is devoted to trying things found in this forum, flashing, booting HC off the SD and such. One other use I have really enjoyed is texting via google voice. Nice to reply or send when using my nook and not have to change over to the phone.

I just got an Atrix yesterday so now will come some experimentaton with hotspot tethering and use in the car as a navigator/mobile media device. The cool thing is my car has a usb port which recognizes the music files and plays them via the usb cable. What I'd really like is if I could some how get a full usb interface but at this point see it being a long way off anybody's to do list. I think in order to use streaming music I will have to revert to the 3.5mm jack and an aux input to the radio.

Tigagreen

Feb 22, 2011
I bought mine to replace 'paper' @ work. I'm self-employed in sales and everyday I print 20+ pages of info just because I need that info with me during the day. I now can 'print to PDF' and take it in a format that is easy to read while with customers. I'll recover the cost of the NC by using less paper and Ink in no time! Of course, Email much easier to read than off the phone. And now maybe my notes will all be in one place at the end of the day!

I may even read a book or two...

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Whoaa Tigagreen,you put the NC to a great use, the size and the lightness of this device is perfect for that. Thank you for sharing and if you find the time would you also share your screenshot on my- just screenshot thread- ? It should be easier than rooting and unrooting and rerooting!
Thank you... I love screenshots
Gloria

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I love coolreader in conjunction with calibre...the slider brightness, tap to change page (and you don't have to swipe across the entire page to turn a page, like in fbreader, a simple flick will do), variety of background textures for day and night mode. I have tried them all, and like cool reader the best...Aldiko was cool to see all my cover art, but honestly, I don't spend much time at all actually looking at my little books on shelves...I read.

Darmeen,thank you for moving the thread
Gloria

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
^It was me who moved it btw ;)

My uses :
Comics and Magazines ! [you know which magazines :p ]
EzPDF Reader - PDFs, My college texts
Moon Reader [has got page curling effect] - Novels [ Alternatives - Aldiko, Coolreader, FBreader ]
Wordpress app - To maintain my blog
RSS - keep myself updated with whats happening around the world and technology
Dolphin Browser HD, Facebook, Twitter - Internet and social networking
Tapatalk - for browsing forums

and some games :)