What is this machine and what are its limits?

tpprynn

Apr 19, 2011
This is what I bought, almost blindly, last week and which turned up today. It says mid on the box. I've got an 8gb micro sd card arriving tomorrow.

New 7" ePad Google Android 2.2 Tablet PC Netbook MID | eBay UK

7", 256mb, Android 2.2 & Flash apparently. Half an hour on after a full charge and the battery indicator is still fully in the green, so it's not a complete turkey*. If I can have a basic text editor or word processor on it and use a web browser, that's more than enough. I imagine Word to go is some limited demo.

If someone can tell me a couple of things or give me some relevant links that'd be great. For example, what is is model-wise so that I know where to look and google?

I am fairly used to Linux now (Kde, Xfce and Gnome, Ubuntu, Mint & Debian since 2008) and ideally I'd find a way to get the word processor Abi Word on there or at least something that can save in .rtf format, .txt at a push.

Is there a big Android 2.2 manual somewhere? I can't even see how to set the clock...

Thanks for all input.

*Went down one tiny fraction after 45 mins, still promising...

Last edited:

tpprynn

Apr 19, 2011
I've made a bit of progress now. The manual that came with it isn't very informative. It's been trial and error. It seems to be a WonderMedia 8650. It's not bad and I seem to have Word To Go working and my email and music. I'm wondering if this Documents to Go thing is a 30 day demo or something though. I don't play games but I see Angry Birds is on there and I can't imagine that being given away.

What I'd ideally learn is how to obtain root, and then I think I might be able to get my 3G dongle's drivers in there. Annoyingly I once threw away one of the dongles that works with it at a time when I was sick of the internet...

I'll just pop into this thread ot see if anyone sheds any light, a couple of times this week.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jakie55

Aug 30, 2010
It appears to be one of the many touch clones, but with the 8650 cpu, which allows android 2.2, rather than the 1.6 that my unit came with. It is not a fast unit, but it does work, and for things like music, basic surfing, and ereading, it works fine.