What version of Android is on my PDN?

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
I just got a refurb 7" PDN (branded as Panimage Novel) at Big Lots. The box just says Android OS (no version), but the Big Lots sticker said 2.0. However, the manual says 1.5. My only other Android is an Acer A500 with 3.2, so I don't know what to look for. The About screen says:
Kernel version - 2.6.27 PDUI@ANDROID
Firmware version - S64N_SLST_OP15_PD_2011_03_01_A
Model (on box & device sticker) - RR7T20WBL1
I would sure like to use the Market like I do on my Acer, but I 1.5 doesn't support the Market.

So, what do I have, and how much trouble would it be to get it to something better.

- Conrad

MISRy

Sep 4, 2011
What color is it? Generally speaking, if it's white it's 2.0, if it's black it's 1.5. I'm suspecting you have the black one.

bbboB

Oct 25, 2011
I just got off the phone with Pandigital support and confirmed that the Black Pandigital Novel with the model number of RR7T20WBL1 has Android 1.5.
The Big Lots ad (and other places) have mistakenly listed the OS as 2.0.
The tech said that the people upstairs are aware of the problem and misprint in the ads.

I've been futzing with the device most of the weekend and thought I was nuts because it wouldn't run what I wanted it to....LOL!
Now to decide if I should return it or try to upgrade to 2.0.
Any thoughts??

Since there are a couple of threads about this question, could someone please post this information somewhere where lots of people can find the answer quickly??

Thanks.

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
What color is it? Generally speaking, if it's white it's 2.0, if it's black it's 1.5. I'm suspecting you have the black one.

It is black, and apparently has 1.5. I'm getting it (and maybe more) for my wife and grandkids. It doesn't have to do a lot, and I don't want to spend too much time upgrading it. What does 2.0 have that isn't available on 1.5? Can I get the upgrade from PanDigital, or do I have to mod it myself?
- Conrad

Maleboligia

Dec 17, 2011
I have the same model I bought at XS Cargo here in Canada, it does not appear to have a Canadian firmware though as it lists the B&N app. It is definitely running Android 1.5 as the kernel is listed as 2.6.27, I have not found any info on updating this to android 1.6, nor have I been able to update the device as I cannot find this model using the Pandigital Novel Upgrader app for the PC that is needed to update it. Has anyone else had any more luck with this model?

holytoledo

Dec 17, 2011
I've got the same tablet, just got it this evening. Been looking about how to update/get flash going on this thing. So far I've been going off of the official updates from Pandigital. I used their PC update tool and the automatic finder couldn't locate my model's update. However I did notice that where it says search by model, and there's a drop-down, I it lists two operating systems for it. Both contain the model number, but are preceded by something else. Look for 7T20WBL1 in the middle of some DO number. I've installed OP1 without a hitch. That version says 2.6.27 which means that I just re-imaged to the one that came on it. I'm going to do OS2 now and I'll tell you how it goes.

If anyone knows how to get flash on one of these, please post. I'll keep searching/trying and will update with my success/failure later on.

Edit 1: OP1 is dated 20110601 and OP2 is dated 2010. I'm hoping it's an error (it's numbered 2 dammit!) but I don't have my hopes up. Will install anyway just to see what version it is.

Edit 2: Didn't let me install. :/

Last edited:

holytoledo

Dec 17, 2011
I got Youtube Working from this list. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/pandigital-novel/27073-apps-work-big-lots-7-novel.html

T
hat's a pretty good resource. Still wanting to get full flash on this for justin.tv though.

So, simple enough. Download this: http://www.mediafire.com/?dg92yeaazbjl4yh to your tablet. It downloaded it as a text file for me, but I just renamed it to .apk using the File Explorer that came pre-loaded on the PDN. I've now got justin.tv working smoothly and I'm happy that I'm able to better use what was once a 70 dollar paperweight If the link dies, the app is Skyfire 2.0.1 beta. That's the version that was made for Android Cupcake (1.5) and it still works!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011
I have the same BPDN. I have spent all weekend Downloading updates, trying the platform upgrader from Pandigital, trying the videos on youtube that show you how to make it an android tablet.

All I really want to do is get it to where my daughter can access YOUTUBE. I looked on the list above and found nothing even remotely tied to youtube. Can you tell me how you got youtube to work " from this list?" Or do I need to Download the mediafire to make it work? I am getting totally frustrated with the whole process.

Dec 26, 2011
I guess I wasnt scrolling down enough. I found the youtube app, the opera, paint and notes. They all work great. THANKS CERASTAZ.

JohnWayne

Dec 27, 2011
Hey Guys , if you are having trouble trying to update through the PC Updater and have the Model# RR7T2OWBL1, Try this instead R70E200, i have no idea why but in the maunal (paper manual) that came with it i read all the fine details and in the very back it told me the Model Name was R70E200, and i was trying to update through the PC Updater but with no luck because they dont list RR7T2OWBL1 but They DO List R70E200, so give that a try, i already did but i found out i already have the latest Firmware. Cheers;)