Where can I go to get info on how to operate this thing?

jarees

Oct 27, 2011
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and although I have figured out a lot of things, I am still at a loss about how the Android (Honeycomb 3.1) OS works.

For instance, I seem to have 5 "home" pages, with various things on them--I've accidentally dragged a few widgets there, and on one page I even have two of the same widget. But I cannot figure out how to remove them! Also, I cannot figure out how to close a running program--all I can seem to do is to return to my home page, which leaves me with a lot of open apps (I found the task manager where I can go to close them, but is there a way to close an app from within the app?). I would like to have a "home" page in my browser, but every time I open it, it is still on the same page where I left it.

I guess all my questions could be answered if there were a Users Manual that describes how to operate in this environment. It took a while even to figure out how to open an app and navigate around the page!

Any/all help greatly appreciated. I tried to locate this question elsewhere on the forum, but surprisingly, it does not appear that anyone else has ever had these questions! Android is not an intuitive interface. I would think that everybody has trouble navigating thru it.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Welcome to the reality that we are actually dealing with a very un-documented system. Part of the challenge is that it is changing and evolving so fast that any documentation is obsolete by the time it is off the press, remember the first Android tablet only hit the market about 15 months ago. I whole-heartedly agree that any kind of user manual would be great, but there just isn't much beyond our communities in terms of help files.

So, that being said...let me try to answer the questions you had above:

1. You can remove app shortcuts from the desktop by pressing and holding until it "pops" off the page. then look to the edge of the screen and you will see a trashcan (your hand may be hiding it, so look carefully). Drag it to the trash and it is off the desktop, but not deleted from the device. NOTE: you can also move apps from screen to screen this way too

2. In Honeycomb specifically and Android in general you do not actually need to "kill" running apps, it is very efficient at running and managing apps and memory. That being said you can get an app called Task Killer from the market (I personally like the one by ReChild, but I don't use it anymore).

3. You can have a home page in the browser, there is one set by default. If you hit Menu->More in the app you will see Home as an option.

Hope this helps for a start.

Cheers,
Peter

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
I agree, this OS is changing so fast, books would be a waste at this time. At this point, you need to put on your explorer hat and dive in. The five pages you mentioned could be used to organize similar apps into one window so you are not roaming all around looking for a certain well used app. Android is certainly not for the faint at heart, one needs to be a Lewis and Clark explorer, so to speak.

bleach

Oct 17, 2011
Hi, I find Android booster available from the market seems to help out a lot in these circumstances,it just closes a lot if unnecessary tasks,and speeds things up a Tad.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Android Tablet Forum

jarees

Oct 27, 2011
Thanks for all the replies.

And especially thanks, prbauer, for the "hold-til-it-pops" tip! I might have gone a lifetime without thinking to try something like that. Sort of like playing Myst--only harder. ;-) I suspect that simple maneuvers like that don't/won't change much throughout many generations of the OS, so there should at least be a Wiki somewhere that offers those basics.

Thanks for the tip on the homepage. I still haven't figured out what all the icons do (they usually do something I didn't expect ;-) ), so I didn't realize that was a "menu" button. Now, if I can just find where the "Home" button on my browser is located...

BTW, are there any other (better?) browsers around? Since this is only my first day with the machine, I haven't had time to do much exploring for apps, Any recommendations for "must have" applications are welcomed.

Again, many heartfelt thanks.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
There are several browsers, including Opera and Dolphin probably bring most popular. Honestly for me I just use the standard.

Sent from my Nexus S using Android Tablet Forum

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Surely there is a users manual online that you can print out. Good thread as it has yielded some good advice that might apply to other devices as well. :)