Which is the best 7" Tablet

Freaksta

Mar 7, 2011
Hey people, i've tried to search for something similar but not many results came up..

I'm in the market for a 7" tablet just to mess around on, play with the market, do a little web surfing, play games, load customs firmwares etc..

I have about 5 tablets that i have found in my price range and was wondering if you guys can help with regard to which is the best tablet in terms of "support" from the developing community, ie which will have custom firmware, upgrades etc... So which is the most popular 7" device i guess..

Here are the names of the tablets i have found this far:

• M70007T Google Android 2.2 7 inch VIA 8650 800MHz Tablet PC - CPU: VIA 8650 800MHz (unconfirmed - kernel 2.6.32.9deafult)
  • Upad ZT-180 Google Android 2.2 7 inch ZT-180 Dual core 1GMHZ Tablet PC - CPU: ZT-180 Dual core 1GMHZ (unconfirmed - kernel 2.6.32.9 rooted@2565)
  • VIA 8650 W8001 Google Android 2.2 8 inch VIA 8650 Dual core 800MHZ Table PC - CPU: VIA 8650 Dual core 800MHZ (unconfirmed - kernel 2.6.32.9deafult)
  • E11 7 inch Google Android 2.2 Wi-Fi with Camera Gravity Sensor Tablet PC - CPU: Telechips Tcc8902 ARM 11 Dual Core 800MHz
  • S22 7 inch Google Android 2.2 HDMI 3D Game with Remote Control MID - CPU: Marvell PXA166 800MHz
Other than the CPU which I've put next to the name of the tablet, they all have 256MB ram, all but the last two(4GB) have 2GB memory, all have web cam of some sort. Are any of the above devices know in the community to be okay for my requirements and are any REALLY BAD... If you guys want links to the products i can post them, if that's allowed!

I hope someone is able to comment and give me a little guidance!

Thanks
Freaksta

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
AMlogic, RK2918, and iMX515 cores are shipping within a month and will drag prices down with them. So keep that in mind.

If you had me choose from the above, the 7-in Zenithink is the most powerful of the bunch. You need to check if firmware can be updated to the ones from Zenithink.com
The VIA WM8650 and Marvell PXA166 tablets look like dead-ends for firmware updates.
The Telechips TCC8902 did not have a good 2.2 release the last time I checked, so that one is useless. Clockwork recovery is easy to port, but this thing's stock firmware should so bad that you should not bother.

None of these have good custom firmware.

Freaksta

Mar 7, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply, the 7inch Zen is the one i had my eye on the whole time, the only problem is im unable to find any more information on the item! I have done various googles on the tablet but it hasn't yielded much information.

Looking at the website : latest software- , There is a firmware for the tablet that says 7" but im not sure if that actually is the tablet listed for sale.. To be honest i guess my 1st thread was a bit wrong, i don't have to have custom firmware etc IF the tablet works fairly well out of the box, ie market app works etc, just want it to mess around with it basically, play the odd game and most use it for web browsing and the odd movie while in bed! With the info you have at the moment would you buy that tab here is a link to the one i mentioned http://www.*****************/products/product_32822.htm?

Thanks
Freaksta

Freaksta

Mar 7, 2011
I could wait im in no rush, but those tablets i assume will be in a much higher bracket than my budget. Im planning to spend no more than $170 included shipping, becuase that is my budget in my own currency! Im also not really wanting an expensive known brand tablet, im getting my android phone in a month and my ipad is also on its way, so this is more just to mess around on! :)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Your question is a little more complicated, so I will keep answering it here anyways.

While you stated that you have a couple of VIA WM8505 tablets, you didn't tell us how comfortable you are with installing or even modifying firmware. If you can DIY, my recommendations would be different. $170USD is the lower limit for Cortex A8 right now, and can only get better in a month or so. Unfortunately, there hasn't been one that I would recommend easily.

Freaksta

Mar 7, 2011
Your question is a little more complicated, so I will keep answering it here anyways.

While you stated that you have a couple of VIA WM8505 tablets, you didn't tell us how comfortable you are with installing or even modifying firmware. If you can DIY, my recommendations would be different. $170USD is the lower limit for Cortex A8 right now, and can only get better in a month or so. Unfortunately, there hasn't been one that I would recommend easily.

Cool thanks, sure this thread can help out other in the same situation as me!

I have no android tablets at the moment! Im a pretty practical guy and i like to DIY when i can, if there are guidelines available ill give anything a shot so long as its software side of things ie someone else has written better firmware for the thing, then i would install it. I have no programming skills.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Sorry for dragging my feet on this, because the market has been shifting fast, so the answer is not straightforward if you are not in North America.

WM8650 is really cheap http://www.shenit.com/eken-m002s-via-wm8650-cheapest-android-2-2-tablet-support-flash-10-1-4359.html
But without first seeing a real review of the unit, it is difficult to recommend. It looks better than the TCC8902 on paper because of the updated Android.

This is what I historically used to recommend:
Apad iRobot Telechip TCC8902 7" Android 2.1 Tablet PC 4GB a.k.a Haipad M701

Freaksta

Mar 7, 2011
Sorry for dragging my feet on this, because the market has been shifting fast, so the answer is not straightforward if you are not in North America.

WM8650 is really cheap Eken M002S VIA WM8650 Cheapest Android 2.2 Tablet support Flash 10.1
But without first seeing a real review of the unit, it is difficult to recommend. It looks better than the TCC8902 on paper because of the updated Android.

This is what I historically used to recommend:
Apad iRobot Telechip TCC8902 7" Android 2.1 Tablet PC 4GB a.k.a Haipad M701

The eken looks like a real deal breaker, i appiciate the time you have taken to respond to my thread i may just take a chance and order that tab and give it a go, ill review it for you guys :) But ill try do a bit of research 1st, olive pad is way to pricey for what i want, does look good though :)

Thanks again, if anyone else has some input feel free!

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
get nook color for $200 ...on sale quite ofter. once rooted, which is easy, this thing is a great 7 inch tablet on a modest button. i like it better than the samsung tab that i played around with. hdware in it is strong.
fwiw

Freaksta

Mar 7, 2011
get nook color for $200 ...on sale quite ofter. once rooted, which is easy, this thing is a great 7 inch tablet on a modest button. i like it better than the samsung tab that i played around with. hdware in it is strong.
fwiw

I did think of that but ill never get it shiped to south africa within my budget. In my local currency i dont want to spend more than R1000+- which turns out to be +-$150, so the eken m002s looks like it fits that profile perfectly! $99USD + $40 for shipping costs, and then i still have some money left over for the customs charges + VAT in my home country.

Mar 8, 2011
Last time I was in Sandton City, the Samsung Tablet was doing well - but at a huge price. It's not your currency (with gold being up where it is) but your import duty that kills it!

Having said that, I would go for 2.2 as a minimum (as all yours are), as fast a CPU as possible - and personally I like the 7" form factor as it fits in my pockets.

And please let us know how it goes!

Freaksta

Mar 7, 2011
I will do, yup the samsung galaxy is stupidly priced here in SA. The only tablet that has stayed reasonably priced is the ipad, we had a price reduction in line with the ipad 2 announcement, which made them oh so slightly more affordable, but i was lucky enough to win one for free. Which is the main reason im looking at a 7inch tab, because of its smaller size, some thing to take along when i want because its not to large etc..

Anyhow im going to transfer my moneyies into my paypal account today and hopefully do the purchase tomorrow, so once the item arrives ill do a mini review on it.

jackgem

Mar 9, 2011
For your usage criteria, I would suggest the OlivePad Tablet PC which comes with a 7 inch capacitive touch screen, android 2.2 and Screen resolution of 800*400. Costing only Rs 21500 it’s also pretty decent value for money. In case ur interested, check out the link:http://www.olivetelecom.in/laptop/olivep…

Freaksta

Mar 7, 2011
As said before it out of my price range, so need to push for the product. Thanks though.

UPDATE: I have put through the transfer from my bank account to my paypal account, so hopefully it will have cleared by tomorrow, i will then proceed to purchase and review the Eken M002S.