Which microSD is best?

Jan 1, 2012
I am trying to find a good microSD card to use in my Nook Tablet. I have a Patriot 32GB Class 10. However, when trying to revert back to 1.4.0 firmware version, it never lets it work. So, I am going to try a new card. Here is what I am looking at:

Sandisk 16GB Class 4 (or a 32GB)
Transcend 16GB Class 6
Kingston 16GB Class 10
Lexar 32GB Class 10

What are some thoughts? I would like to watch YouTube stuff, use Netflix(when I finally get back to the USA), and put movies on the Nook(although I am not sure how to do that yet). Is the Class 10 necessary, or overkill? Will the Class 4 be enough? Or is there is something better than what I have listed?

Thank you for your input!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There are many considerations for SD cards including overall use. For use in a Nook Color or Nook Tablet SanDisk class 4 or 6 tend to work the best. The newer SanDisk don't even come with a class rating and this is ok.

Unless you also plan on using this card in other devices which require large reads or writes of data at one time (think taking a 15MP photo with a nice camera) then the higher classes are overkill.

Your issues with reverting the firmware are probably not related to the SD card and will need to be addressed separately.

JP

Jan 1, 2012
Thank you both for your help!! The NT recognized the 32GB SD; it showed 29GB free, without the zip folder, when I looked it up in settings. Sometimes, with the zip, it would say 115MB. The last 2 times I tried, I got a program to increase the partition size. This morning I even tried it by putting a boot program on it first, then the zip file. Yeah, I tried MANY times, many ways, to get this procedure to work! Between each try, I reformatted the SD. Sometimes on the Nook, other times on my computer.
JP, if you don't think my problem has to do with the SD, what do you think it is with?
As far as the firmware's cap, if that was the problem do you think after I refert back to the 1.4.0 I would be able to use my 32GB disk again?
About my current card: If it is corrupt, how would I know, and would there be anything I can do about it? Granted it was off Amazon, but I actually just bought it.
Thank you!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The Nooks are fine with 32GB cards so a cap is not an issue. With a 115Mb partition it means that some script was running that repartitioned it. This could have been the restore zip. Once that happens you have to start over. Reformatting the card in the Nook is a good way to go since the pc may only format the 115MB and not restore the entire card.

It is possible the download of the zip file was bad. It is also possible that the card is bad but we have to take it one thing at a time to find out.