which OS should I use for what i'm wanting to do!

Drakard

Jul 9, 2011
Ok, so i'm wanting to do the following and wondering if I need to keep as is, root, or put new OS completely on.

1. Read books
2. Read PDFs
3. Browse net
4. Watch videos
5. utilize apps and emails

I'm just concerned about the rooting and putting new OS on...will i lose the normal Nook features? I would like to be able to also use the SD card as an actual storage device, so not sure if while Rooting if i can actually do that too? Any help would be appreciated!

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
You might want to go to the sticky tab and read avi's nook color first impressions. It is a very well writen first look at the nook. Since he wrote that guide, a few things have changed. The new nook has the 1.2 update and a new partition layout but the big plus is that with rooting and cyanogen mod 7.1 rc1, bluetooth is enabled and you can use external keyboards, ect... another change is that with the nook tweeks app, you can use usb hosting which will allow use of extrnal usb devices. The nook is a great first tablet. Out of the box, you can do almost everything you said you wanted to do with the possible exception of having access to the android market. Barnes & Noble have a small market selection available for download but to obtain complete access to the market, rooting is required. As you said you wanted to use the sd card for program storage, I would recommend you consider installing a custom rom to the internal memory (emmc). This will allow you to utilize your sd card for backups and storage. There are several custom roms available and you should read the posts concerning them all before you make a decision. That being said, enjoy the nook and frequent the forums often.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Hi Trent,

You can try different Android flavors. Just use Titanium backup to backup your apps and settings. Anytime you install a new ROM, you can restore all your apps and settings so it really isn't just starting from scratch every time.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
As of the 1.2 update, you can do everything on your list except access the full Android Marketplace. IMHO, if that's all you feel you need, do a ManualNoot per the instructions here [NC][1.2 ONLY] ManualNooter 4.6.16 - xda-developers When you're done, you'll have all the capabilities of your stock Nook and you'll be rooted with access to the Market. You'll also have a lot of other "good stuff" like a better launcher etc. Just before flashing the rooted system, make a backup of your stock system, so you can easily restore it whenever you need to. (You'll be running off a bootable CWR SD card at that point.)