Which Tablet do I want? (Some specific requirements here)

elder81

Jul 1, 2013
Which Tablet?

Okay so I have yet another which tablet thread, but this time round I have some very specific requirements. The plan is to incorporate a tablet into the the centre console on my van, but I would like to make it removable as well. This does mean that I have some very specific requirements.

The idea is to use it as a Media centre that is fed into the hidden head unit (I currently plug my phone in to the head unit for music) and my 19" telly I have in permantly in the van via HDMI. "Any Tablet would do surely?" Nope. because I would like to make the tablet removable I need all the connections to be on one side. I also don't want it to be too big as it will not fit into the centre console. To add to that it would be good to use it as a Sat Nav.

This all makes the Nexus 7 a strong contender as it is a good size, has built in GPS (I can use my mobile as hotspot so 3g is not required), all the connections are at the bottom, but this is where the Nexus 7 fails. There is no HDMI output.

Nexus 7

Then I started to look at the Archos 80 Titanium. Again a good size (although a little bigger than the nexus) has all the requried connections on one side including an HDMI output, but it does not have any GPS capacity.

Archos 80 Titanium

What I need is a cross between the 2, essentially a Nexus 7 with an HDMI output.

I am sure all of the Apple brand would do the job, but I cannot afford them and really do like android porducts.

My budget is very much cheap as possible. I am looking at around £100 to £150, but have no problem with going second hand.

If I cannot find the perfect match I am more happy to give up the GPS than anything else.

Apologies for another Tablet thread, btu hopefully you can see it does have specific requirements.

Thanks

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hi elder81.

Welcome to the Forum! My device would certainly fit the bill. As I am sure would others that our members will no doubt soon bring to your attention.

Ed

D

dvdcatalyst

What I need is a cross between the 2, essentially a Nexus 7 with an HDMI output.

I ran into this review earlier today:

Review: The Hisense Sero 7 Pro is a Nexus 7 clone for $50 less | Ars Technica

fits the bill of a "nexus 7 clone with hdmi"

as a bonus, it takes MicroSD as well.

SPECS AT A GLANCE: HISENSE SERO 7 PRO
SCREEN1280×800 7" (216 ppi) IPS touchscreen
OSAndroid 4.2.1 "Jelly Bean"
CPU1.2GHz Nvidia Tegra 3 (1.3GHz in single-core mode)
RAM1GB
GPUNvidia Tegra 3
STORAGE8GB NAND flash (expandable via microSD)
NETWORKING802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0, NFC, GPS
PORTSMicro USB, mini HDMI, headphones, microSD card
SIZE7.87" × 4.95" × 0.43" (199.9 x 125.7 x 10.9 mm)
WEIGHT0.79 lbs (358 g)
BATTERY4000 mAh
STARTING PRICE$149
OTHER PERKS2MP front camera, 5MP rear camera, power adapter

IMG_6590-640x258.jpg

Hisense Sero 7 Pro 7" Tablet Quad Core Processor with 8GB Memory, M470BSA: Computers : Walmart.com

US$150

elder81

Jul 1, 2013
That is spot on what I need.

Just need to find a UK seller or someone who will send to the UK.

Still keep the suggestions coming as may not be able to find a Uk seller for the Hisense Pro

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Still keep the suggestions coming as may not be able to find a Uk seller for the Hisense Pro

Another one would be the Acer Iconia A1. It is basically the same as the Pro, including the price. The only difference being a larger display: 7.9 inches.

john19055

Jul 2, 2013
I have had this tablet for over two months and have had no problems with it.It is a great tablet for the price and for all it offers for $150. The HDMI is nice if I want to hook it up to my LG 50" Plasma Smart HD.I like it because of the Micro-sd card,I put in a 32gig SanDisk Ultra Class10.It has stereo speakers which gives it a decent sound.The HD screen looks great when watching movies.I know it is a off brand ,but it is well made and has more features then the nexus7;and at a lower price.