Which tablets have full-size USB ports?

MX21

Jun 10, 2011
I'm looking for a tablet that I can interface with devices in the field. These devices have USB interfaces that use a Virtual Com Port (VCP) on a PC (SiLabs CP2102 or FTDI). I'd like to find a tablet that has a full-sized USB port on it that I could plug into these devices and do things like download data, configure the devices, etc. through the port, either just using a terminal app, or writing my own apps.

What tablets have full-size USB?

Which ones actually have drivers to support VCP? Supposedly, those drivers have been part of Linux for years, so are they present in Android?

Edit: forgot to mention, 7" display would be preferred for portability, as well as capacitive touch.

MX21

Last edited:

MX21

Jun 10, 2011
Viewsonic GTablet has a fullsize usb port.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

According to their specs, the full-size USB is slave, and the mini-USB is host. Have you tried plugging something like a flash drive or keyboard into the full-size USB port?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I have plugged in Thumbdrives, keyboards and mice and gotten all to work on my G-Tablet. This is also partially dependent on the ROM you have installed.

beastman

May 8, 2011
I plugged in a thumbdrive and watched a movie.

beastman

May 8, 2011
I'm running cyanogenmod nightly may 25 (latest available)

MX21

Jun 10, 2011
Thanks all. TigerDirect has a $30 off coupon code, so final price of $269.99 with free shipping. This pushed me over the edge and I just ordered one.

evansm76

Jun 16, 2011
Acer Iconia A500 has full USB. It is also solidly built and one of the cheaper ones using 3.0. Seen it for under $400.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

fatmanwalking

Mar 26, 2011
A little bit late to help you out, but maybe my experience with my Witstech can help others out.

In my review of my Witstech A81H, I noted that I was able to log into the Virgin Mobile website with my dongle connected to the full size USB port. This morning the free WIFI wasn't working at one of my favorite Vietnamese Coffee Cafes, so I plugged in my Virgin Mobile dongle and was able to buy some data credits. I turned off WIFI and checked EVDO under 3G Data Card settings to make things work. There were also buttons for wcdma and td for choices as well.

Speed was a touch slower than WIFI, but not terribly so. I'm going on vacation soon and will use my one month credit to avoid hotel connection charges.

tony333

Nov 27, 2010
Viewsonic G tab, Archos 101,Acer Iconia A500, and upcoming Toshiba thrive tablet all have full usb ports.

RoboDroid

Jun 27, 2011
Thanks all. TigerDirect has a $30 off coupon code, so final price of $269.99 with free shipping. This pushed me over the edge and I just ordered one.

Same here, supposed to get mine tomorrow. That extra $30 discount and free shipping finally reeled me in.

BTW, I thought it was the other way round: full-size USB is host (to control devices) and mini-USB is slave (so storage will show up on attached PC as a hard drive.)

MX21

Jun 10, 2011
I have a G-Tablet on the way. Should get here Thursday. Are there any particular ROMs that would be more supportive of USB devices?

MX

MX21

Jun 10, 2011
Thought I would report on the full size USB of the gtablet. I can plug my device in that has a SiLabs CP2102 USB to TTL serial interface. The drivers for it are already in the OS and a ttyUSB0 device is created.

Now I just need to find a serial port terminal app for android to test it...