Why Are Tablets Getting Bigger?

BillyTech95

Feb 6, 2014
Look at the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 at CES 2014 and Yoga Tablet 10 HD+ and Sony’s new Xperia Z2 Tablet that is 10 inch at MWC 2014.

Have they announced any smaller tablets? NO.

I just feel the Tablets are getting bigger and won't be as portable and there are rarely new 7 inch tablets anymore.
There are rumours that Apple are going to release a new Ipad that is over 12/13 sceen and won't make a new Ipad mini this year.

I don't want tablets to get bigger and i prefer tablets to be portable enough and keep that small factor.

Why are tablets getting bigger?

Do you want tablets to get bigger or keep in the size range 7-11?
Will there be still more small(7-9 inch) tablets in the future?

What do you think everyone?

Last edited:

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Tablets are getting bigger because smartphones are increasing in size. The only difference between my Samsung Mega and my 7-inch Acer is a measly 0.7 inches and I am able to do everything on the Mega that I do on my Acer Iconia, plus talk. So, my next tablet will definitely be bigger.

CAL7

Feb 21, 2014
I demand a small phone (going to the Z1 Compact), but for a tablet I think 10" is about right. Completely different usage models between the two form factors for me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
My answer, for the same reason that few people still use 15" monitors on their desktop. There is an aging population out there, (like me),, who need bigger screens.

BillyTech95

Feb 6, 2014
I hope there's a limit to how big they make the phones though.:rolleyes:

View attachment 12326

I agree with Spider hope they put a limit on it.

I think a 7 inch phone is too big will make you look weird when you on a call but it is good for a tablet.

I think from 8 inch to 11MAX is good enough size for a tablet if over it is too BIG(over 12 inch) then it is not a tablet and not portable enough to hold it in one hand for too long.

I just hope the companys(Apple, Samsung, Acer, Dell) will still make small tablets and not make tablets(over 12 inch) any bigger.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I just hope the companys(Apple, Samsung, Acer, Dell) will still make small tablets and not make tablets(over 12 inch) any bigger.

Seems that all the international brand name manufacturers have abandoned the seven inch segment (just too much really cheap product) in favor of larger screen sizes. The Lenovo Yoga Tablet 10 HD+ is a perfect example.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hey, watch out. I may be getting older, but definitely not any shorter.

Kayzah

Mar 12, 2014
Hi
I think the tablets are getting bigger beacause of their wide screen, very usefull for displaying documents for work or school

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Thankfully, these larger tablets are also getting lighter and thus easier to hold for longer periods of time.

raybright

Mar 12, 2014
I agree, they're trying to differentiate themselves from the larger phones (phablets). Seems like everyone is still trying to figure out just what the perfect size is (it might not exist). But, for anything larger than 10 inches, I'd rather get a laptop.

benroveno

Mar 28, 2014
I don't think 12.2-inch tablets can be considered as bigger because even my 14-inch laptop still looks normal if i imagine using it as tablet. 16-inch tablets are definitely abnormal. lol