Why Can't Anyone Make A Popular Tablet? (Article)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I’ve been thinking a lot about the popularity of tablets and the problems manufacturers face coming up against the iPad. The devices that we see here at CG are all pretty amazing– even the Playbook was a cool, if flawed, device – but no one device seems to be able to grab any traction. In looking back, I see echoes of the netbook craze of the oughts, and the parallels with this “fad” (along with the distinct differences) are very telling. As you’ll recall, Apple sat out the netbook race. Sure, they put one ultralight device forward, the Macbook Air, but it was a premium device, while the other manufacturers drove prices into the dirt and sent quality lower and lower. The result, if you’ll look at the blasted laptop landscape today, is a market full of an amalgam of mid-range fleet laptops for business travelers that have taken some design cues from higher-end netbooks and goofy art-themed mini laptops for students. range fleet laptops for business travelers that have taken some design cues from higher- end netbooks and goofy art-themed mini laptops for students The netbook – at least the small, squat, and compact devices so many claimed to love – has been abandoned for 13- to 15-inch models that are considerably thinner and lighter than they were a few years ago. Although my evidence is more or less anecdotal, I can assure you this is the trend I’ve seen in the the current crop of laptops coming up in the next few months and no matter how much you defend your netbook, you have to admit they got pretty bad near the end of the decade...

So how does the current tablet market compare to the long decline of netbooks? Well, I believe that the two markets are, in a sense, similar, but it’s the differences that are preventing any one manufacturer from gaining any traction in the tablet space.
First, we need to make a basic supposition. We assume, for sake of argument, the iPad is most popular consumer tablet thus far created (the sales numbers bear that out) and we need to assume that the popularity of the iPad is something to which all manufacturers aspire.

I also posit that manufacturers are social animals. They see what their peers are doing in the space and then head over to Asia to have it manufactured. There are only a few major manufacturers and these factories offer fairly limited configurations from which OEMs can choose. Sure, guys like Dell and HP can order up their own silicon but they didn’t get their laptops below $500 by customizing the motherboard. They bought some standard boards, slapped in some chips, and created permutations of the same thing in different trade dress. As it once was with stereos – manufacturers would hide the extra features like EQ sliders inside the case and simply charge a premium to expose them – you were basically buying the same laptop with a different name.
Essentially, laptop manufacturers saw a way to make a cheap buck with commodity hardware. They offered sub-par performance and non-optimal sizing to a world that was ready to buy into a lie that you didn’t have to pay for quality. The same consumers who lapped up netbooks in the hopes that they would make good “second computers” are now lapping up iPads – and, to a lesser degree, Android devices – and actually using them as second computers.
In terms of manufacturing, the age of tablets is different from the age of netbooks mostly because there is no way to make a cheap tablet. You only have a certain, finite amount of space inside a small tablet case and, more important, tablet PC parts are expensive and often custom-built. Touchscreens are expensive because mother-glass manufacturers see Apple buying up their stock and they hope to make a killing. Flash memory is expensive because, well, Apple bought it all. And the tablets themselves are expensive because Apple set the prices. If Motorola could have gotten the Xoom below $250 I’m sure they would have but, given that there is a more popular alternative out there that costs twice as much, playing a scorched-earth pricing game would leave money on the table.

But manufacturers can’t “beat” the iPad because they’re still playing by netbook rules. As Stephen Elop said, there will soon be
“200 tablets” on the market and only one clear winner. But hardware manufacturers are like sharks – they can’t sit still. They need to produce products constantly, no matter the popularity, and as a result, on the aggregate, no one device they produce out of the other 199 can touch the reigning king. It may sound hyperbolic but it’s true. However, they’ve been surprisingly reticent to produce many tablets. I’ve heard it said over and over: “If RIM had released the Playbook a year earlier, they would have owned the space.” Instead they announced early and hemmed and hawed and then released a device that is potentially superior to the iPad but, in practice, little more than a smooshed out Blackberry smartphone.
Also, consider the reason carriers selling tablets with a contract: it’s the only way manufacturers can make a modicum of profit. Tablets are expensive to produce. Even at $499 they can’t make much out of a straight-to-consumer deal. There is no other way to explain why $450 Acer Iconia A500 is more expensive than the presumably more fully-featured Acer Aspire One netbook other than the commoditization of parts. While margins are slim on both devices, I would wager Acer is making more on the Aspire One than the tablet.

In the end, manufacturers must do what they know best in order to survive. They have to commoditize devices to reduce their price sufficiently and they have to drive down prices to remain competitive in a saturated marketplace. The current tablet market will not allow that for many of the reasons I mentioned above and also, simply, because no one wants a garbage tablet. In fact, a bad tablet is worse than no tablet at all, as evidenced by all the years Microsoft tried to flog their Tablet Edition software and hardware to an uninterested populace. On the low end the only tablet worth mentioning is the Nook Color, and anyone who tries to sell you a $99 is out to steal your money. In the end, the netbook craze resembles but can never mirror the current tablet craze. Although I’m reticent to call this a “post PC” world, I think this is a bit more than a fad, though, and it seems that Apple is so far ahead in terms of sales, popularity, and usability that everyone else is, in a word, flummoxed. They just can’t fit a tablet into a global supply chain that rewards chintz.

Original Article:
Why Can’t Anyone Make A Popular Tablet?

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Great article,thank you for sharing JP.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I think the reasons the newer tablets aren't more popular are:
1. Manufacturers of the Android/other tablets aren't committed. Whether you love or hate Apple, they went all in on the iPad, risking falling flat on their face.
2. Fragmentation of consumer attention; the various Android/other OS tablets--and their manufacturers--do not have the slavish devotion of tech journalists that Apple has, so the buying public does not have nearly as clear a picture of each one.
3. Most of the Android tablets have launched with cell carriers and contracts. This is dumb; Apple got it right by making 3G capability an option--and they've sold many more of the wi-fi-only. Why on earth would anyone lock in to a 2-year contract on an unproven device?
4. There's no good resource for video on Android, which nearly negates the Flash advantage it has over iOS. If I want to watch a movie on a flight on my EVO or NC, I have to rip a file from a DVD; I can't just rent an already-playable file the way one can on iOS. And the streaming options are lousy, too.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good points. I am sure those are contrubuting factors.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
well if you look at smartphones apple did not invent the segment - but what they brought was a tight integration on hw and software - they delivered an experience that is consistent across all the iphones, they had the content to support the experience and it did not require users to have an ounce of tech know how

the issue with Android tablets is it is still viewed as a geek device - its biggest strenght - customization might also be its biggest weakness - customization leading to fragmentation, inconsistent experience, across the many different platforms. As you pointed out there is no good resource for video - while not accurate (there are a lots of sources of video) - it is not clear how to get them unless you read the forums, visit tech sites

I think the reasons the newer tablets aren't more popular are:
1. Manufacturers of the Android/other tablets aren't committed. Whether you love or hate Apple, they went all in on the iPad, risking falling flat on their face.
2. Fragmentation of consumer attention; the various Android/other OS tablets--and their manufacturers--do not have the slavish devotion of tech journalists that Apple has, so the buying public does not have nearly as clear a picture of each one.
3. Most of the Android tablets have launched with cell carriers and contracts. This is dumb; Apple got it right by making 3G capability an option--and they've sold many more of the wi-fi-only. Why on earth would anyone lock in to a 2-year contract on an unproven device?
4. There's no good resource for video on Android, which nearly negates the Flash advantage it has over iOS. If I want to watch a movie on a flight on my EVO or NC, I have to rip a file from a DVD; I can't just rent an already-playable file the way one can on iOS. And the streaming options are lousy, too.

Asasin

Feb 24, 2012
If you wanted to produce your own OEM tablet

In order of quality, honor-ability, punctuality..
Japan
Korea
Taiwan
China

Japan is outrageously expensive to manufacture anything,and their domestic market
love their products, they practice protectionism, so forget Japan...
Japan own the raw materials that make up the IPS screens, and supply Taiwan
who convert material to produce the screens... Honorable business partners 10 out of 10

Korea also expensive, their are a few manufactures, but Samsung rule the roost
and will pull orders from component manufactures, who might be manufacturing for a competitor.
Korea make their own components, except for screens, but are good....
Co-operative technology exists and the cost is also prohibitive, if you dont
own the manufacturing of components as Samsung does....Honorable business partners 9 out of 10

Taiwan would seem to be the place but alas you are too late unless you can place a 100-500 000 unit order.
Foxcon is one of the many Taiwanese plants..that have Chinese factories because of cheap labor...

So the place to start would be mainland China, and Shenzhen would be the hub...
its great because Hong Kong across the way, 30 min and you are in the hub of tablet insanity!!!
Even though SZ is supposed to be Cantonese its 90% Mandarin....
Go to HuaqiangBei...Pronounced Wa-Shong-Buy
When I say insanity, if you have ever been to a county fair on a Saturday and thousands of people
at every booth, just multiply that by 10..
Every booth has a Carny...pitch man if you will....this is the retail and wholesale center
for cell phones, tablets, cameras, components....
This is the epicenter of inferior goods, liars, horse thieves.

So now you are off to visit some of the Chinese manufacturers you found on the internet, met at a trade show, that have sent you wonderful
CGI pics of an iPad look alike, showed you samples at a show, and sent you magnificent photographs on their huge factories, with 1000's of diligent Chinese workers on assembly lines,
and are using phrases like, we are in Mass Production, Yes!!! we are the factory that make for ....blah blah brand...
Very famous factory...

Well thank God there is now a subway, its tranquil compared to a retarded Taxi drivers that can-not speak a word of English, who drive
like a maniacs, and believes that Red at a traffic light is a suggestion only...

You can-not do more than 2-3 factory visits per day...

Guess what......none of these guys are the factory...WoW!!!! aint that a surprise!!!!!!!!..

So already you are numerous steps away from the real source...you see the real factories
are factories, assembly.....they manufacture for brands, they dont go out to market wholesale
or retail....they just manufacture!!!!!!
They dont need to sell or advertise!!!!!

What you do see is offices with people....
"No but i saw a line of workers".... "and a production line of at least 20 people"
Yes they are making samples!!! THEY ARE NOT A MANUFACTURER
So you get conned by a guy who is close to the source, and you going to buy some samples
because you know how you going to be the next iPad, your price is gonna knock the sox off the competition.

So you insist you need to be introduced to the boss...head Con!!
Sit down, have some Tea...just relax.......
He tells you about the famous fantastic, Chinese Chip manufactures, or the
(discontinued) QualComm or Samsung chips that are available..
How big their capacity is....which brands they are working for, this that and the other...
Just giving you confidence of their ability to deliver....
There must be a 'Con University' in every city in China, maybe 'University of Deceit'
where you graduate with a Master of Science degree in 'Deception and the Art of Theft'

Just a word of warning, if you dont drink, sing Karaoke, have dinner with this guy you will not
get anything that is promised.....

Anyway you have now ordered your few samples from a few factories..
And you are only too happy to be out of China!!

Guess what, when the junk arrives, after a few days it becomes unstable.
Components break down, screens go blank, batteries wont charge..

That was my start..2 years ago...

I eventually went back to live in SZ for 6 months..
I stuck with it, my tablet biz is growing...

If you want the rest of my story...just ask

Temetka

Oct 10, 2011
That would make for good thriller whodunnit murder mystery methinks. Toss in some storms, a few dames and of course fancy dining, European getaways and exotic cars. Hide the plans in champagne bottle on a leer jet. Man you'd be set for the silver screen for sure.

As to why no one can beat the I pad? No one has the backup ecosystem to support it. Also there is very little work being done to make the UI more user friendly and intuitive. Android as an OS is great. The UI, even in ICS is terrible. No one takes as much pride as Apple in their ui and it shows. The hardware between the two is pretty much equal. Both platforms are fast and both have a not of apps. But Apple has the better ecosystem. People want stuff to work. They don't want to fiddle with their widget. I don't see that happening any time soon. At least not until the Chinese cloners get a clue.