Why Is Battery Temperature Constantly Shown As -20°C?

FabioB

Jul 7, 2017
Hi,

I have a Samsung tablet TAB 4 – SM-T530 which shows problem when charging: charging paused, battery temperature too low.

Using an app, I found out the battery temperature is shown constantly as -20°C, even when there is not charger plugged.

Do you know where the problem might be?

Do you know where the battery temperature sensor is located?

Do you know if the battery temperature can be overwritten in order to allow the charging?

Thank you in advance!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You have a hardware issue. Near the USB port is a part called a thermistor. This part is what reads the temperature of the battery, and in your case, it has failed. There is no way to overwrite the battery temperature as the thermistor reads temperature in real time, just like a standard outdoor thermometer would.

You'll need to take your tablet to the nearest Samsung service center for servicing. Hopefully the Tab 4 has the USB port on a separate board, because that board will need to be replaced, and a separate USB board is far less expensive than replacing the entire motherboard.

FabioB

Jul 7, 2017
You have a hardware issue. Near the USB port is a part called a thermistor. This part is what reads the temperature of the battery, and in your case, it has failed. There is no way to overwrite the battery temperature as the thermistor reads temperature in real time, just like a standard outdoor thermometer would.

You'll need to take your tablet to the nearest Samsung service center for servicing. Hopefully the Tab 4 has the USB port on a separate board, because that board will need to be replaced, and a separate USB board is far less expensive than replacing the entire motherboard.

Thank you very much for your answer!
Unfortunately in the nearest Samsung service center, they asked more than 100 EUR even if they didn’t look at the tablet because they said battery has to be changed.
Do you think that the thermistor is present in the Charging Port Flex Cable Dock Connector USB? I might buy one on the internet and replace it by myself.
(Samsung Tab 4 10.1 T530 T531 T535 Charging Port Flex Cable Dock Connector USB | eBay)

Thank you in advance!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I couldn't tell you. All I do know is that at 100EUR (115USD) just to look at the tablet you'd have better luck purchasing a used Tab 4 off Amazon. That said, ifixit does have repair guides for your tablet, so you could do the battery replacement yourself if you wanted to.

FabioB

Jul 7, 2017
The connector on the picture was soldered: now the blue wire close to the red wire shows 0V constantly, the other blue wire 0.4V
sold.jpg

I'm not sure the problem is on the battery

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You're just going to have to keep fiddling around with it. You may get lucky, or you may kill the tablet.

FabioB

Jul 7, 2017
It's 3 years old.
It seems a sensor problem, it's like is giving 0V which should correspond to minimum temperature (-20C)