wifi borked - new router

freeballer

Jul 7, 2013
my last router died unexpectedly. So I bought a new one, exact same specs ("n" dual band)
but somewhere between the first one (that died), the second (which didn't work) and the current wifi stopped working
I've done the usual things a) reset tablet, reset the router b) removed network configuration
I know the router has given it an ip address. There are NO errors in its logs.... AND every other device is working perfectly.

It won't connect to internet sites (broswer/play/social networking), or local samba/windows shares through apps.

I've been fiddling with the router's setting for the last 30-45mins. But if the tablet isn't receiving ANYTHING
it seems more likely its the tablet's fault. Anyone have an idea what todo on my tablet?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

You need to go to a friend's house or a public WiFi hotspot and try connecting before declaring your tablet as the problem.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
It may be that the brand of router you have ships with "ssid broadcast" disabled. Some devices such as PCs can find wifi APs with ssid broadcast disabled, but most (all?) Android tablets cannot. Go into the wireless setup for your AP, enable ssid broadcast, and the tablet will probably detect the network. On some APs, this may be under advanced wireless settings, and the setting may sometimes be referred to as hiding, visibility, etc.

Note that preventing ssid broadcast does not make the WiFi network more secure. That's what the encryption is for.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
There are several reasons why this would happen.
First check that the password/passkey is correct -the tablet will not connect. Maybe there is an UPPER/lower case issue. Maybe wrong character eg, B for 8, O for 0, etc. Even spaces where there shouldn't be. Very easy to make .

Does the new router have 2.4GHz carrier or is it 5.8GHz? The a500 is only 2.4G compatible. As Mrhelper says turn ON the SSID, hiding the SSID is no substitute for security. Some devices cannot see a hidden SSID.

Are you setting it for static iP or DHCP?

Turn off WMM by unticking box.

Are you sure you don't have another wireless device conflicting with tablet's attempt - maybe a phone, media centre, TV?

Even in DHCP, on the a500, you can force it to grab another IP instead.

Douvie