WiFi Issue on MID Tablet, Help Please?

Richie138

Nov 7, 2012
Hi everyone, im new to this and have just bought my wife a MID white tablet (no other name on the box) i am now having it in the neck as the tablet wont stay connected to the net for longer than 20s at the best, most time it will fail to find any networks.

So far i have tried a factory reset on the tablet, changed wifi channels and changed wifi security from WEP to WPA or something :) on the router but still no different, The router is working fine i run both my laptop and my mobile on wifi when in the house.

The details of the tablet is:-

MID tablet 4GB intenal ROM (white in colour)
Green light when on/red when charging
Android OS-2.2
Kernel 2.6.32.9
Build No. Generic-eng2.2 froyo Ver 1.5.519691231.115959
Model/firmware Wondermedia WM8650

any help would be great, as this was for my wife's birthday and now she is going nuts cause i bought a dud !! :)

Many thanks Rich​

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You have tried "most" of what I would have suggested. (I have further info in a link in my sig). If the solutions in that link don't work or you have tried them as well then tap the connection go to settings/advanced and input manual IP and DNS information.

It also is possible you need a firmware update in the router or maybe even a new router.

You should see if you can stay connected at a public hotspot to rule out a problem with the tablet as well.

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
There are mentions in the forums by some people that specific brands of routers did not work for them. I would follow the suggestion above first and disable security or try access somewhere with free wireless as for some people it seems that any security causes problems.

Richie138

Nov 7, 2012
There are mentions in the forums by some people that specific brands of routers did not work for them. I would follow the suggestion above first and disable security or try access somewhere with free wireless as for some people it seems that any security causes problems.

Hi, thanks for your replies and suggestions, i tried last night, turning the router off for a while and turning it back on then disabling the security. The tablet still kept dropping the WIFI, although it did 'find' the network easier.

When it does connect for the 20s or so i have access to the net on the it, so can this really be a security issue ? would it just not let me on in the first place ? I will try to get it to a public wifi spot to see if that makes an difference.

is there a way of checking the firmware is up to date on the tablet/router ?

Thanks

Rich

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
Part of the reason for checking where there is free public wi-fi is that they will likely have another brand of router than you have, so it tests that out. There is a post on here as well about modifying the antenna. I haven't had to do this on mine as I haven't really had any wireless issues.