Wifi issue with Iconia

5_star

Jun 11, 2011
Hello everyone.

I've just got myself a A500 after much deliberating on which tablet to get. Very happy with it but I am experiencing some issues re connecting to wifi. I've done a search in this and other forums but can't see any similar threads.

The issue is staying connected to my home wifi when I go into other rooms around my house. I get a strong and unbroken connection when in the room where my router is located but if I move into the next room, with just one wall between, the signal drops to 2 bars and repeatedly disconnects, reconnects and disconnects again. It stays connected for about a minute before disconnecting.

I've a couple of laptops which receive the wifi signal at full strength throughout my house, so I don't think it's an issue with the router (Netgear DGN2000).

I've seen in other threads suggestions that security protocols could be an issue, but given I get an unbroken connection when I'm in the room with the router I don't think this is the problem. I'm using WPA-PSK security and have tried with security turned off.

Any help / suggestions would be much appreciated, otherwise I think I'm going to have to return the tablet :(

Thanks

theallspark

Jun 5, 2011
That's a common problem with the A500, it has a weak wifi coverage. even though I am close to my router, I only get 2-3 bars, rarely 4 bars. but I never disconnect. Also, when in hotspots, it has trouble connecting, at least mine is. Hmm. what im doing now is just wait for the upcoming update and hope that will fix this issue. Well if you'd want to return it, that's fine also. Just hope for a better one. or check the kernel version. mine is 1.141.xxxGEN1.

dhornick

May 12, 2011
well i posted this very issue in a previous topic on this foum. i bought a wi fi extender and it solved all of my issues

bonzer2u

Jan 29, 2011
I exchanged mine for another unit and had significant improvement. I was also advised by acer tech support that there was a known hardware issue with a batch of wifi modules......

eclipse3g

Jun 11, 2011
I've also realized that the alum rear panel of the A500 is great at reducing the wifi signal, I can observe 1+ bars difference of signal strength due to the orientation of the A500 to wifi router. If the back of the A500 is facing the router the signal strength is reduced, and if the display is facing the wifi router the signal improves.

dhornick

May 12, 2011
i just got a netgear wi fi extender from best buy. it was kind of pricy but well worth it for me.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Well today I was using the wifi at McDonalds (out in the car park, at approx 50m from entrance) had 2 bars and worked fine. The other day I was inside the same establishment and I couldn't get a signal - no one else was using the wifi - no one inside or out.

I believe the routers could be faulty. Sometimes inference from other devices you're not aware of may interfere with the signal. Even a neighbour's wireless router could be masking same signal and channels. Radio coms has problems when there is sunspots and the like. So the same would intefere with wireless networking devices.

:cool:

dhornick

May 12, 2011
from what i gather its basically a device that takes your exisiting wi fi signal and repeats it over an extended range. its also good because you can plug up to 4 ethernet cords into it to use a gaming system or something else.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
yeah ive seen that unfortunately my router doesnt have the antennae so it wasnt an option for me but i would certainly try it out if i could

You can still use the idea...just put the reflector on the other side of the router opposite the direction you want the signal to go...I bet just some foil over a square of card board would be enough. You could then play with the separation between router and reflector as well as the orientation of the router itself. It would greatly help to what kind of antenna system is inside, though.

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
My A500 WiFi reception is as good or better than the 3 laptops & 3 smart phones in this house. Never disconnects even outside with 1 bar showing. Router is a stock Netgear DG834 (g)