Wifi Setup on WM8650

SkippW28

Feb 11, 2012
I just got my WM8650 Droid tablet.. I am trying to get it wifi enabled to use my in home wifi.

I have the wifi set up and have PC's, Blackberry's, IPhones, Ipods, and a droid phone connected to it.

This unit will not.. I do not understand it. I turn on wifi and it finds no networks (should find 3). Before I can manually enter info the wifi turns off.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Skipp

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Skipp, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new tablet. I'm going to move your thread over to the WonderMedia Based section of the forum for you. The folks there are the ones most familiar with your tablet and hopefully someone will be able to help you get that tablet connected. Good luck!

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Hi, firstly. You need a dongle for 3g, also it doesnt pick up wifi from any distance as the aerial is part of the pcband not great. I suggest getting. Uberoid rom to improve signal and stability. You'll find links onthis forum. It can take time to find correct changer no (before you enter the number type rt3070 to improve wifi) not sure about connecting to pc, may depend on your model no. If you're unsure about changing roms just try messing with wifi settings. Mine is ok up to about 4/5metres away.
wm8650 in hope of enlightenment * :)

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
P.s. try switching your router settings from 802.11 b/g/n to b/g only this worked for me.

wm8650 in hope of enlightenment * :)

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
Instead of just posting a problem right off and then saying there is no support, search the forum. There are tons of posts here about wireless issues. Most boil down to compatibility with your tablet and the router or your settings. As far as distance, mine works through the whole house. I see a slight drop-off in bars showing signal strength.

rsalter1

Jan 4, 2012
Problem is actually your router. Well, the problem is your tablet, but the only fix I've found is changing the router. It's involved in the security and the way the tablet sees the router. I had to experiment with settings on the router before I came up with the right combination. Check this by taking it to McDonalds (free wifi) and seeing if the completely unsecured router there doesn't play nicely with the tablet. If it does (and I'm betting it will) then you'll have to start changing settings on your router. There are a number of posts on this forum about security settings to try (every router is slightly different) to make it play nice with all your devices.

gibson335

Mar 1, 2012
I just got my WM8650 Droid tablet.. I am trying to get it wifi enabled to use my in home wifi.

I have the wifi set up and have PC's, Blackberry's, IPhones, Ipods, and a droid phone connected to it.

This unit will not.. I do not understand it. I turn on wifi and it finds no networks (should find 3). Before I can manually enter info the wifi turns off.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Skipp

I had *exactly* the same issue, but have solved it by ensuring the Power Widget (the one that includes three clickable sections in a bar controlling WiFi, Synch and Brightness) has the brightness set to either 'off' or 'dim'. In the high-brightness setting, wifi automatically drops out (EVERY time) and you get the 'unable to scan' message. I guess that too much current is being taken by the high brightness setting, which affects the functionality of the wifi unit.

wd9dui

Mar 10, 2012
Just a few things, you can do when setting up a wifi network:
1. Check to make sure that the router is in a good location, -not on the floor, off ground level, a good 5-6ft should work.
2. Check the router settings, most routers come with a power setting, you may want to crank it up to HIGH.
3. For those that are hi-tech, you may be able to extend the antenna that is coming of the router to a higher position, this would require a coax run and a better antenna.
Gary