[WIP] Volcano - Honeycomb 3.0 for Coby Kyros x024

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
UPDATED 01/17/12

I am releasing this ROM to the Coby community in hopes that it will attract more developers and testers.

This was tested on a Coby MID7024 and should also work on the MID8024.
Maybe lfom can help bring it to the MID1024?

STANDARD DISCLAIMER:
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this firmware, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device. You agree that only you are responsible and no one else is responsible for supporting you if that occurs. (although the community is great at providing help to you!)

EARLY ALPHA:
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. This is an early Alpha it is not intended to yet be a daily driver. Many things are broken and do not appear right on your tablet. This is intended to be a community project.

Acknowledgments
We owe our thanks to Ron and Symbean

Installation

1. Preparation for a good installation:
- Back up important data to PC.
- Use a freshly formatted FAT32 SDcard
- Safely "Eject" the SDcard before removing it from PC to ensure that the data is completely written
- Battery is fully charged.

2. Installation:
- Download the zip/rar then extract the zip/rar to a folder on PC.
- Copy the entire content of the extracted folder to the root of the SDcard.
- With the tablet is off, insert the SDcard in the TF card slot.
- Press the "home" button and "power" button together until the boot screen and a small line of text appear then release the buttons. Leave the tablet undisturbed. It will turn OFF automatically after the flashing completed.
- Now turn tablet on and enjoy the new firmware.

The following people are participating in bringing Volcano Honeycomb for the C8 Community

Dave.S
namko
ron1975
rowwor
steev
Symbean
tlbardelljr
Troll05
lfom
Vernox701

If you're interested in helping let us know.

Downloads:
Volcano Beta 10 for MID7024/MID8024
md5: 6ab8b687f4aabe7d1019cc66b1542843

Old versions:
Volcano Beta 6 for MID7024/MID8024
md5: 850cccc4ea5b4fe92302aaaf62f86c58
Volcano Beta 5 for MID7024/MID8024
md5: dbd9770b60fe7ea4984b11cc86e2d845
Volcano Alpha 3 for MID7024/MID8024
md5: 8cb04f4d5836af53039a037a297579a9

ChangeLog:
Beta 10:
-Minor updates (Thanks Terry and lfom)
Beta 6:
-Updated install script (thanks namko)
-Annoying red flash disabled
-Rooted (Note: Superuser app FC's when launched from apps menu, but apps are still able to gain root access)
-Fixed SDK version in build.prop (thanks skicavs)
Beta 5:
- Using urbetter's kernel
- Fixed wifi (Thanks Symbean and rowwor)
- Fixed keyboard
- New upgrade system (Same as Alldro2 1.1)
- Working Market (do not update the market...yet...it will crash) Thanks thaigir99
Alpha 3:
- Initial release for Coby Kyros

Known issues:
- Camera does not work
- Some apps crash
- Probably many other things broken (Again, this is an early alpha)

Other links:
Volcano for Herotab C8

Last edited:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
been busy with work and the other "hobby"... i've been watching this "honeycomb" thing at slateroid for a while now.

i'll help testing this new rom :)

brunnomaceno

Oct 14, 2011
Steev, i just flashed my tablet but now he don't turn on!
i press the on/off button, in the screen appears the Volcano logo and it turns off in less than 2 seconds. I cant flash anymore, any ideas?

I think thats why my battery was with 0 battery, it was charging. I flashed it with the tablet plugged in in the energy ~~

Last edited:

brunnomaceno

Oct 14, 2011
Steev, i just flashed my tablet but now he don't turn on!
i press the on/off button, in the screen appears the Volcano logo and it turns off in less than 2 seconds. I cant flash anymore, any ideas?

I think thats why my battery was with 0 battery, it was charging. I flashed it with the tablet plugged in in the energy ~~

Okay, its my mistake. I flashed it with no battery, now it charged a bit and the system worked.
Testing it! I am imperssed how the HC runs well in the coby one.

Thanks steev

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
It's cool, if possible, add in the assembly soft dual touch, please

We probably won't be adding anything until after the major issues are fixed.

Right now the biggest issue we are struggling with is getting the wifi to work with the standard kernel.

brunnomaceno

Oct 14, 2011
We probably won't be adding anything until after the major issues are fixed.

Right now the biggest issue we are struggling with is getting the wifi to work with the standard kernel.

Tested it. The tablet find my WIFI network, but my usb keyboard don't work, so i can't put my pw.
The keyboard that i use is that special for chinese tablets 7 inch, buyed from deal extreme.

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Tested it. The tablet find my WIFI network, but my usb keyboard don't work, so i can't put my pw.
The keyboard that i use is that special for chinese tablets 7 inch, buyed from deal extreme.

Yeah wifi was working with Asure's kernel, but not urbetter's kernel.

We now have a fix for wifi (thanks to Symbean) so we can use our kernel again. Expect a new alpha soon.

rain

May 5, 2011
it was just a little confusing for me . . . reading the new stuff over on the 'slate' side . . . hmmm ? . so the haipad factory in 'shenzhen' came out with 'ice cream sandwitch' for the M7S which is GREAT news because . . . at its core the 'S' ( super ) model is the same ( samsung ) processor - pv210 guts as ours.
then symbeam snagged it immediately and is working on back porting it to the year old herotab / dropad model on the ( hongkong ) epad forum. . And so our steev and tlbardelljr are helping him in a group effort mano-a-mano, on the slate side.
did i get that right ? . and haipad fw is really urbetter fw ?
and i think this is "extra" good news for the other 'very smart and capable' devs besides our humble steev... many more cooks in the kitchen.

Last edited:

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Yep rain you are right.

But MID7024 users don't get too excited... yet.
The ICS ROM boots but our touch screen does not work.

I have not given up yet.

Really hoping that those new ICS Coby tablets will be using the same CPU :p

Last edited:

prog19

Dec 26, 2011
Just for the record

Flashed it just fine on 8024. The Touch is very smooth, wifi an market are working fine. There's some strange red flash that appears from time to time when i'm using market. There's some lagging when i select the "apps" icon on top right corner, but there's no lagging in sliding through screens, even in the apps bay.

Congrats to all of you guys, this job is becoming amazing

And sorry for my bad english.

Edit: There's some way to use usb on hoost mode ?

Last edited: