Wireless instability and touchscreen jitter

leighw101

Aug 13, 2011
Been messing to try and get the wireless on my Disgo 6000 stable for a while and followed all the suggestions on here but still get it disconnecting if I try and download something largeer than about 5mb.
Once it's disconnected it'll reconnect after about 30 seconds and carry on working with no problems until I try and download again.
Normal browsing doesn't seem to affect it much and the signal strength is normally either two or three bars when it drops out.

Just wondered if anyone has found a reliable fix for this yet as there's nothing that I've found that will remedy it :(

The other issue I've been finding a lot is the touchscreen jitter seems to be rather random. Sometimes I can type away fine but others it just selects what it wants to type at random within about an inch radius.
This can be made more apparent if you constantly tap a key like delete as it'll keep registering presses on all the keys around it.
I've gone through a lot of the settings in the ts.conf file and can't find a fully usable and stable setting that works well enough to type properly on.

Again, any suggestions on here are welcome :)

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
The tablet I have is the SYNET7LP, but I had the same issues as you describe here. I alleviated it with a couple minor modifications. This may or may not be an acceptable fix for your system.

1. I updated the Wifi driver with the rt2870.bin file I located under the SYNET7LP thread. This file had to be placed into the /etc/firmware directory. (Do not perform this step if your wifi driver is a different name)
2. I adjusted the TX Beacon Period in the rt2870.dat file under /etc/wireless from a value of 100 to a value of 75

For the touchscreen issue...one thing I learned about this screen is that it does not support multi-touch. So, what happens when you touch it in two places at once is that it will select a point exactly centered between the two points touched. For example, if I hold the tablet in my left hand, with my thumb slightly touching the left side of the screen, and then I touch the screen with my right hand anywhere, it will interpret the touch as being directly between those 2 points (Usually well away from where I intended).

leighw101

Aug 13, 2011
Thanks I'll give the setting for the wifi a go - got to be worth a try!

I actually took the tablet apart today and the wifi antenna is tiny (about an inch and a half long) and only single diversity so that may have some bearing on the problems with the wifi instability.

The screen I'm sure with the right setting can be made more accurate as I have a ZTE Racer phone and the latest release of the kernel for that phone completely sorted the screen calibration out - it's now as accurate as a capacitive one with no jitter whatsoever so hopefully it'll be a fix that can be applied to our tablets too :).

Maybe it's time for me to look at the source code to see if I can see anything in there that may have a bearing on it.....

leighw101

Aug 13, 2011
OK managed to get the touchscreen pretty close to spot on by altering the delta settings to make it less sensitive (as it seemed to be picking up a second press when coming off the screen after a tap). It's still not quite 100% but it's ok now.

However the wireless seems to be getting worse. Unfortunately my usual test of streaming a youtube video is a bit of a no go atm as I mistakenly updated the youtube app and now it just closes itself when you open it and for some reason I can't play html5 video through any browser which is a real pain!

So if anyone has a copy of the original youtube apk that works with the Disgo 6000 with android 2.2 pre-installed that would be a big help. Still can't see why it won't play the html5 videos though - really can't get my head around that at all as the settings should allow it to play ok???

Has anyone else tried it through the stock browser, dolphin hd or skyfire to see if it will work at all?

leighw101

Aug 13, 2011
Well I managed to get the html5 videos working by removing flash - odd but they play fine now if the wireless holds up long enough.
Am going to try more mixes of settings for the wifi config but so far none have made any kind of improvement :-(

Sent from my disgo6000 using Android Tablet Forum

leighw101

Aug 13, 2011
Well altering the txbeacon values seems to alter the stablility slightly, however it still drops out and takes the router down too it seems. With it set back to 100 it doesn't do that so I guess that's a no go for me.
One thing that did cross my mind though is the wireless card seems to get incredibly hot so I'm wondering if it could be a heat related thing as even with the txpower set down to 1% it still can't hold the connection for more than about a minute if it is transferring data like streaming a video.
Anyone else found the area close to the rear buttons gets stupidly hot when using the network a lot?
(BTW, it took me 5 attempts to post this as the wireless is that unstable!)

lohtse

Mar 9, 2011
Well altering the txbeacon values seems to alter the stablility slightly, however it still drops out and takes the router down too it seems. With it set back to 100 it doesn't do that so I guess that's a no go for me.
One thing that did cross my mind though is the wireless card seems to get incredibly hot so I'm wondering if it could be a heat related thing as even with the txpower set down to 1% it still can't hold the connection for more than about a minute if it is transferring data like streaming a video.
Anyone else found the area close to the rear buttons gets stupidly hot when using the network a lot?
(BTW, it took me 5 attempts to post this as the wireless is that unstable!)

Not had heat issue as much as what you may have had but does get warm.... Though this is my second Disgo 6000 in 9 days first one the power button stopped working(so no back button either, only way to turn off was a reset. then got so hot couldn't hold. so left it and battery ran down, then would no longer turn on.

On the replacement haven't had the heat issue(just the boot issue which is partly solved with the froyo here on forum)... But have installed the "button saviour" app as suspect reason for power button issue on first disgo was the constant pressing of it.. this app creates a little arrow on screen that leads to a small menu with back arrow,menu and power off....great as shows in all apps and games so can switch of etc with out hassle...highly recommended....

Last edited:

leighw101

Aug 13, 2011
I have started doing some proper tests relating to the heat of the wifi and have created a new thread dedicated to it but it does sound like heat is a major cause of a lot of our problems with the Disgo/Sylvania tablets.
Will have to give that app a go as I now understand what is going on with the touch screen and got it reasonably well calibrated, although on every boot it needs a screen re-calibration as it drifts out on boot like it's detached and floating around in the case (it's not - I've had it apart and checked it :p ).

The wifi card looks like a standard RALINK USB dongle style that's just soldered in place and wired to a point on the motherboard - so it's possible the hot ones are a slightly duff batch that have an overheat issue and the later ones are ok. Was tempted to try a few mods of my own to put another card in, but I don't have any ralink ones handy and drivers are a pain for this tablet with the stock 2.2 rom - roll on Techvendetta - I need more Gingerbread in my life! lol

leighw101

Aug 13, 2011
I'm using these settings - they're good but not perfect yet...

module pthres pmin=1
module variance delta=10
module dejitter delta=10

Last edited:

lohtse

Mar 9, 2011
Those settings are damn near perfect on my tab..

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

leighw101

Aug 13, 2011
Like I said it's close but I'm still seeing quite a lot of drift on the calibration so it needs to be done at each boot I've found by updating the calibration file from the built in settings menu item. Still find it strange it does drift so much as I don't recall any similar problems on my old windows PDA?

lohtse

Mar 9, 2011
Like I said it's close but I'm still seeing quite a lot of drift on the calibration so it needs to be done at each boot I've found by updating the calibration file from the built in settings menu item. Still find it strange it does drift so much as I don't recall any similar problems on my old windows PDA?

I don't have a drift issue such as you but was always a little twitchy and those settings are great made at least a 75% improvement..

As to winmo lol...My hp620 and 690lx sometimes (yes still use them along with my little collection of 78 other pdas) suffers from drift but they are a little old so can't fault them really... And my PDA-N often has to be recaled just like my little Palm Vx

Anyway thanks again for the settings they are most helpful!!!

regards
Lohtse